Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Post your dissatisfaction here  (Read 6930 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post your dissatisfaction here
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:41:35 pm »

Right. Some people are really annoyed with the bugs. Understandable. So it doesn't clutter up the forums as it tends to do, shall we try and get all the latest versions bugs in here?

Pathfinding still seems to be an issue for me.

EDIT

I realise the last post was yesterday, I was out so this may be a little late.

Of course the title makes it seem like we're complaining. But to be honest I don't care, it was meant to be grabby and to interest you in any way and it seems to work so i'm keeping it. My intentions were and are good. I love this game and I want it to continue to interest me as much as it does.

So if posting the stuff that makes the game suck and discussing what would make it better is complaining, then screw you. Your opinions are overly hostile and you need to lighten up. Just post on what's not working for you, be it bugs or how things work in general. Lets all have a nice friendly chat.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:22:35 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your dissatisfaction here
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »

What version are you using? The pathfinding bugs seem to be mostly resolved in 31.03. I haven't noticed any particular pathfinding issues in that version.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »

After having figured some of the new military system out,  I'm rather fond of it.

Kill orders are targeted hunting with hammers and axes.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

No.

Don't post bugs here.

Post them on the BUG TRACKER.

Yes, it requires a sign up.

It has a search box - you can find it here. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php
No, there is not an excuse for not searching.

Thank you and good night.

(Although if you want to just complain about them, I guess here is fine too)

Edit:
You could try the 'Bug Reports' forum, because that is kinda the place for ... reporting bugs...
The bug reports forum is locked. That's why there's a bug tracker.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:53:25 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »

You could try the 'Bug Reports' forum, because that is kinda the place for ... reporting bugs...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:09 pm »

Actually, it isn't.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:13 pm »

Question...

What is a "Bug" and what is simply a new feature that I might not like?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

oneliquidninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:47 pm »

Every time I feel 'dissatisfied' I remind myself I'm playing an alpha release of a game right after a major update that I didn't have to pay a dime for.

As to bugs...  yeah...  bug tracker.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:45:47 am »

I'm dissatisfied with people who complain about a free game in alpha.

It's like the story of the two dwarven kids. One was always estatic, and the other was always miserable. Their parent went to the philosopher to ask how to fix the kids. The philosopher said "To fix your children, give the miserable one all of the finest toys you can afford. To the estatic one give a room full of cats. The parent did that, and looked in on the miserable one. He complained about the quality of the toys, then started tantruming and destroyed much of the furnature in his room. As the guards beat the child into a bloody hairball, the parent looked in on the estatic child. She found him surrounded by the cats and naming them. The child looked up and said, "I likes cats for their aloofness."
Which dwarf should we be like?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:52 am »

Pathfinding still seems to be an issue for me.

for me too mostly in the mornings, to  fix that i use caffe it helps me a lot, try.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:23 am »

Hi!

I'm dissatisfied with people who complain about a free game in alpha.

I think you make a very good point there.
I think 'dissatisfaction' is really problematic. However, there are things that may frustrate people or make it very difficult for them to enjoy the game, and describing those to other potential players can help a) warn those players about things they currently can't do and b) find some solutions/work arounds for these issues.

It's like the story of the two dwarven kids. One was always estatic, and the other was always miserable. Their parent went to the philosopher to ask how to fix the kids. The philosopher said "To fix your children, give the miserable one all of the finest toys you can afford. To the estatic one give a room full of cats. The parent did that, and looked in on the miserable one. He complained about the quality of the toys, then started tantruming and destroyed much of the furnature in his room. As the guards beat the child into a bloody hairball, the parent looked in on the estatic child. She found him surrounded by the cats and naming them. The child looked up and said, "I likes cats for their aloofness."
Which dwarf should we be like?

I like that example a lot (see the comment at my avatar :) :) :) :) ).

However, we already have a thread where people can describe what frustrates them most about the current version. As I said, pointing out things that make it difficult to play Dwarf Fortress may actually be useful for other players, but you should try to keep it positive, I think.

Deathworks

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 01:40:30 am »

The only thing that is keeping me from playing the game nonstop at this point is marksdwarves not training (the rest of the military works fine for me.) Aside from that, there are only a few minor annoyances (such as bookkeepers using booze to keep records.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:33 am »

okay... seriously..
<RageRant>
If you are "dissatisfied" with this release, and the work toady has put into it, despite the fact that you KNOW it is a buggy pre-release alpha, fine. But why do you keep insisting on telling everyone about how dissatisfied you are?

OMG! the game released as "barely playable" "bug ridden" alpha is barely playable and bug ridden! i must tell everyone on the forums about it! they must know of this travesty! I did not wait two years for toady to release this piece of garbage! i demand this! i demand that!

Do you honestly listen to yourself?

Reporting bugs is fine, and as has been said, theres a bug-tracker for it, and a forum specifically for talking about them, so why litter the fortress forum with thread after thread telling people how dissatisfied you are with your free game.

So, instead of complaining about the latest version, simply do the following, convince yourself that 0.31.3 is in closed beta, and you were not lucky enough to join, its a shame.. but hey! NDA was lifted! so people can talk about all the cool new features, while you are "stuck" playing 0.27.40d.

</RageRant>

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:38:57 am »

To be fair, player input is part of Toady's process, isn't it? That's the point of all alphas. It's the testing stage.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:14 am »

yes, player input, but is really

"OMG! THIS GAME IN UNPLAYABL! IT SUX! U SHUD MAEK LEIK DE 40D BE HAS UNDERGROUND CAN U DO THAT INSTD+_!"

(quote may have been slightly overexaggerated)
player feedback?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4