Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about this video?

It's disgusting exploitation and degradation of a human being.
- 18 (20.9%)
It's pretty terrible.
- 14 (16.3%)
I don't care about it.
- 6 (7%)
Sort've funny.
- 15 (17.4%)
Absolutely hilarious.
- 21 (24.4%)
Other Opinion ( Please Post )
- 2 (2.3%)
Don't care / View poll
- 10 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: How To: Train Your Crackhead  (Read 9641 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: How To: Train Your Crackhead
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2010, 04:48:52 am »

Good god I laughed my ass off. When he threw his sweatshirt on the laser dot and shouted "I GOT YOU!"... tears of joy.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:06 am »

As I cannot, with complete honesty, believe the man shown has taken drugs to get high, I prefer to consider it a shallow manipulation of another human that is equivocal to pranking an idiot. Still was rather funny at first, before it carried on monotonously for the rest of the video. Still, it livened the day of the "crackhead" and the people that took the video with the only downside probably being the bruise from walking into the pole and a good deal of exhaustion (and, well, the arrest. But that's something I don't want to bother talking about here as either a negative or a positive.) Still, I'm glad they didn't try anything more damaging to the man.

Tl;dr version: Funny, but I prefer comedians.

It's dehumanizing. That's damaging enough, in the long term.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pathos

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 05:23:45 am »

Manipulating people for amusement != good or funny

I believe that people who take pleasure in manipulating others for their entertainment are very base, ignorant, and underdeveloped. Anyone with the ability to think, "What if that were me? Or someone I cared for?" would realize that it really isn't funny. Its disgusting and terrifying that someone can be that badly taken advantage of. Things like this make me depair for civilization, just like religious groups killing people over cartoons.

I completely disagree. Also, it's a pure contradiction in itself. If it wasn't funny, it wouldn't be manipulating people for amusement, it would be manipulating people for the sake of manipulation.

And I believe people who make sweeping remarks are very ignorant and underdeveloped.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2010, 05:25:44 am »

True to that first bit. But is it good to manipulate people for amusement?

Pathos

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2010, 05:27:53 am »

Of course it is. It's always good to bring more joy into the world.

Is Toady manipulating the poll so it's balanced, or something? o.O Every time I've came into this thread, there've been equal votes on either side. Can we count the ambivalent side as being part of the Hilarity party?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:18 am »

Of course it is. It's always good to bring more joy into the world.

Bringing more joy into the world at the sake of someone else?

Doesn't that strike you as abhorrent?

Pathos

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2010, 05:33:05 am »

Bringing more joy into the world at the sake of someone else?

Doesn't that strike you as abhorrent?

Well, pretty much every comedy and comedian takes the piss out of someone ( even if indirectly ) or a stereotype of people, so not really.

But, then again, I don't think it would, anyway. It's not really one of those things that bothers me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:54 am »

Wait, no, sorry. Let me explain myself.

Making yourself happy at the sake of someone else, yeah, comedians do that all the time and usually it's a pretty minor thing.

My problem was that he was arrested at the end. Most people, when made fun of, don't actually end up facing the consequences for what someone else did for a laugh. That's what I don't like about it.

Pathos

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:45 am »

Wait, no, sorry. Let me explain myself.

Making yourself happy at the sake of someone else, yeah, comedians do that all the time and usually it's a pretty minor thing.

My problem was that he was arrested at the end. Most people, when made fun of, don't actually end up facing the consequences for what someone else did for a laugh. That's what I don't like about it.

He was arrested for being out of his head on (possibly) crack. It might turn out to be tough love in the long run, as he gets off crack and becomes a productive member of society. Unlikely, yes, but still it's giving him a chance where there wasn't one before.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2010, 05:40:53 am »

That is true, except that you couldn't possibly know what came afterward. But the concept of humiliating someone for a laugh that ends with that person being arrested of all things, that I don't like at all, strung out on crack or not.

I guess it's a moot point, since I've already made my position clear and there's nothing to be gained from convincing other people to take my side.

Pathos

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2010, 05:47:47 am »

That is true, except that you couldn't possibly know what came afterward. But the concept of humiliating someone for a laugh that ends with that person being arrested of all things, that I don't like at all, strung out on crack or not.

I guess it's a moot point, since I've already made my position clear and there's nothing to be gained from convincing other people to take my side.

That's sort of the point. You never, EVER know what the exact results of your actions are, so you might as well keep on laughing and hoping for the best. I've seen people turn into complete dicks after people've been nice to them, and I've seen people become nice people after people've acted complete dicks to them. There's a wide range of different results inbetween those, of course, but that's not the point.

If I hurt someone purposefully, if I humiliate them in such a way that it truly shames them or if I become the biggest dick in the world for no real reason to a person and that person becomes a BETTER person for it, did I do an bad or good action? What makes the action good or bad? Is it the intent or the result?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2010, 09:05:10 am »

Is Toady manipulating the poll so it's balanced, or something? o.O Every time I've came into this thread, there've been equal votes on either side. Can we count the ambivalent side as being part of the Hilarity party?

Some people thinks its horrible, some think its funny. And why?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2010, 01:43:26 pm »

So he got arrested? Erm...so? If he was on illegal drugs, getting arrested/hit by a car/took the piss out of gets no pity from me: It's what you deserve for being out in public, high on illegal drugs. End of story. If he was just drunk it'd still get no pity from me...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:13:28 pm by TheDarkJay »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »

They got that poor guy arrested. Fuck these kids.

Also I think that he was just hamming it up.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2010, 03:48:54 pm »

They got that poor guy arrested. Fuck these kids.

What's wrong with a druggy getting arrested?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12