Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How are the "Magma Addicted" out there coping in Dwarf 3.0?  (Read 5722 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How are the "Magma Addicted" out there coping in Dwarf 3.0?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »

I've found that I can make plenty of fuel from wood burning combined with turning lignite into coke. I haven't even dug down to look for the magma or caverns (mainly due to the threat of unkillable game-ending Forgotten Beasts). I haven't had to deal with elves whining about deforestation, either, since the elves were conquered centuries ago, and I don't have to worry about invasions either, since the goblins were exterminated as well! It's a lovely world. Titans show up every so often, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:53:46 pm »

I've found that I can make plenty of fuel from wood burning combined with turning lignite into coke. I haven't even dug down to look for the magma or caverns (mainly due to the threat of unkillable game-ending Forgotten Beasts). I haven't had to deal with elves whining about deforestation, either, since the elves were conquered centuries ago, and I don't have to worry about invasions either, since the goblins were exterminated as well! It's a lovely world. Titans show up every so often, though.

Its all fun and games until a bronze colossus shows up.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

I will usually starts using coal while I dig down to the magma sea. Then, I set up a small area for smelting and forging down there while building screw pumps to the surface. My first attempt went poorly because I forgot pumps added pressure to magma  :-[ but otherwise it isn't much more trouble then in 40d. Granted, I usually play in maps with 40-50 z levels and not 150+.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

I've been experimenting with Magma screw pumps, and I don't think glass or metal is necessary. My tower isn't complete, but I have tested with some of the screw pumps being pumped manually, and the wooden corkscrews and pipe sections seem to hold out. So long as it holds out for 120 z-levels, I'm fine.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »

For many of us in 2.0 we reached a point were we wouldn't even CONSIDER playing on a map unless there was an esaily reached magma pipe.  So within the first year we would an inexhaustable supply of Smelters and Magma Forges  while All wood on the map could be turned over to the important and vital "Four Bs"
Beds
Barrels
Bins
Buckets

You forgot Bolts, Training ;)

Anyway, I feel that with the enormous amount of everything stone-related (including coal and lignite) in the current version, it's quite possible to have a medium or even large sized metal industry using only coke as fuel, if you don't feel up to magma pumping or relocating the forges. If you must have a really huge metal industry, I think even relocating the entire fort is not as big a hassle as some would assume, at least if you plan for it from the start and don't construct elaborate dwarven cities in the caverns or such. In the old version I did fort relocations all the time, usually building a temporary starter fort near the surface and then relocating the entire mess when I got enough haulers, experienced miners etc.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

I find the caverns' ample supply of subterranean water and their reasonable distribution into well-spaced vertical zones to be a blessing.  Every time I encounter caverns on the way down, I set up a small airlock and build a base camp there.  A 30x30 footprint on one or two z-levels buys me a very nice dormitory, a dining hall, a food-and-booze stockpile... and I can use the water establish a very basic underground farm and put a well into the dining hall.

In a worst-case scenario the airlocks can all be sealed so that you don't immediately cede your entire vertical shaft to the invaders.  One important data point, however...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Suffice it to say that I recommend at least one completely open z-level between the surface of the water and the well.

Anyhow, I'm going to dogpile on with most of the other respondents: I've gotten so much bituminous coal and wood that I'm only really interested in the magma as a useful way to cleanse the caverns before carving them into phenomenal dining halls.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

Its all fun and games until a bronze colossus shows up.

I'm not really worred about them. I have cage traps at all my entrances, and they can't fly.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »

But they are trapimmune.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 03:23:06 pm »

I thought only Titans, Demons, Kobolds, and Forgotten Beasts had TRAPAVOID.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 03:30:05 pm »

But they are trapimmune.

What gave you that idea? According to their raw entry, they aren't.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 03:45:28 pm »

I just find sites where the magma isn't very deep, like the map I'm playing on now with magma 14 levels below the surface on the first cavern layer. I put my fort down in the cavern system and barely had to move the magma.

Is there an easy way to do that?  How do you deternime magma depth without embarking and running reveal?  this seems like lots of trial and error.  Can you determine magma depth by looking at the vulcanism heightmap export from legends mode?

I do like how the general layout of the underground has brought back some of the 2D design choices.  before, it was always a question of where to build the fort -- before the river, after the river, or after the chasm.  to quote someone more clever than I, "Down in the new Right."

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 03:51:06 pm »

Given the absolutely stupid amount of coal/lignite on maps, I didn't realize it was an issue. . .
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »

Setting the overall layers to be less makes it easier to get at. As far as finding it penetrating the cavern layers, you'd have to run reveal and check for it - but it's fairly common. I like embarking and running reveal and giving the area a quick once over to make sure it isn't buggy anyway, not enough to know where everything is but to check for major problems - then I just close out the game and embark properly if I like the location. I had one site that looked good but was glitched where the caverns were all choppy and disconnected and the deepest layer was way thicker than it should have been (30 z-levels) which caused a lot of unnecessary lag.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 05:25:19 pm »

I've been experimenting with Magma screw pumps, and I don't think glass or metal is necessary. My tower isn't complete, but I have tested with some of the screw pumps being pumped manually, and the wooden corkscrews and pipe sections seem to hold out. So long as it holds out for 120 z-levels, I'm fine.
Do you have temp turned off maybe? Well, in 40d the length of time wooden pumps held out was really variable- in locations that were already hot they would burn up before you could get magma ~20 tiles through a channel but in other places people could fill up a pool without any of them deconstructing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »

This time I'm using my magma for the best of purposes, SCIENCE.

This fort is an Explorers Fort. One outpost I've built is for the mining expedition to hell. well reinforced and heavily trapped to prevent things from getting back out. as well as mechanism operated emergency doors. I'm also building the Volcanic Drop pod the Obsidian Carp to explore the depths of the world along with it's retinue.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4