Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Indestructible Forgotten beasts, bug or feature? (spoilers)  (Read 1641 times)

Thiickshake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indestructible Forgotten beasts, bug or feature? (spoilers)
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:49 am »

So first time EVER righting on a forum so im new be gentle :P, I understand that the forgotten beasts are flawed but i keep reading about monsters made from mist or diamonds that cant be killed, but in reality a creature made from diamonds let alone mist would be extremely hard to kill.

If you have ever seen the episode of one piece when luffy fights smoke you would understqand what i mean

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Indestructible Forgotten beasts, bug or feature? (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:31:03 am »

Diamond shouldn't be too bad, its quite brittle.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:12:49 am »

Such creatures would completely destroy a fort, and that might be fun the first time, but it shouldn't be in the game.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:40:21 am »

Diamond shouldn't be too bad, its quite brittle.

Diamonds can burn, don't they?
So in that case you could either have:
a) Diamond Man + Magma = no problems!
or
b) BLAZING DIAMOND FIEND = have fun looking for a new embark site!
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:18:05 am »

Right now the issue is that it would be B.

The problem is not that we are unable to deal damage to them, it is that severe damage all over the body doesn't cause death. Things only die from organ failure, blood loss (which would mean organ failure,) or infections (also organ failure.)

So if you have a harmless ball of skin without any blood you can stab and slice away at the thing forever but it just won't die. If you can wall it in then a collapse can viably finish the problem for you but some of the immortal beasties that are also actually powerful fighters won't exactly sit back and let you do that.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:40:48 am »

So first time EVER righting on a forum so im new be gentle :P, I understand that the forgotten beasts are flawed but i keep reading about monsters made from mist or diamonds that cant be killed, but in reality a creature made from diamonds let alone mist would be extremely hard to kill.

If you have ever seen the episode of one piece when luffy fights smoke you would understqand what i mean

A creature made from mist?  What's it going to do, make your clothes damp?

A creature made from diamonds?  Just throw it between two women...

I'd like creatures such as bronze collossi to be extremely deadly to anything except a well trained and prepared military, otherwise their survival in worldgen wouldn't be justified.  It just doesn't seem right that the thing can go rampaging and killing for a thousand years and then Urist McAxeTrainee comes and chops off its head with no trouble.  Hopefully they won't be "fixed" back to the level of difficulty that people were used to with 40d, i.e. not at all difficult.  Throwing 50 leather-wearing wrestlers on a collossus should result in 50 dead wrestlers.  50 guys with copper axes should end up as 50 corpses with broken axes.  50 guys with platinum hammers should result in 100 broken wrists, etc.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Thiickshake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:45:18 am »

i agree all i can hope is when its all fixed up that monumentally hard forgotten beasts are actually difficult to kill, i hate it when i get a awesome sounding beast and one miner takes it out

Yeesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:15 am »

If you haven't experienced this, you should really wait until it happens to you to evaluate it. I had a blob of vomit show up at my fortress, and it managed to sneak in through the caverns. OK, my bad, I'll accept some casualties. But I had about 120 dwarves and a military of 48, and the beast slowly but surely killed everybody. How? It had three body parts: a body and two wings. After a little while of combat, all three were broken and all three were smashed open. Subsequent combat (hundreds of pages of it) was just the same thing repeating: most attacks glanced away, but plenty did land and broke and smashed open the body and the wings. But of course the thing didn't die. It just wore down the army and eventually another one showed up and I was all like F this.

If it had been a giant titan or something, that would have been a cool way to lose at least. SMASH! For it to be easily hurtable but unkillable, well that's pretty annoying.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:19:58 am »

Cavein is the only really viable way of getting rid of these motherfuckers. Be nice once cumulative damage actually does something though. Locking one of these away could be a very cool thing to be able to do. Quick, forge 4 steel chains and bolt it in a room full of traps, then lock the door.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:23 am »

The problem is not that we are unable to deal damage to them, it is that severe damage all over the body doesn't cause death. Things only die from organ failure, blood loss (which would mean organ failure,) or infections (also organ failure.)

Actually, things also die from decapitation and bisection (removing upper body from lower body).  So I think the simplest solution would be the ability to bisect anything.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

If you have ever played Final Fantasy IV and fought the mist dragon you would understand what i mean.

Fix'd that one for you.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:55 am »

Locking one of these away could be a very cool thing to be able to do. Quick, forge 4 steel chains and bolt it in a room full of traps, then lock the door.

I want this. I want horrors locked away in my fort that lay dormant, healing and dreaming of revenge.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:23 am »

After something is broken and smashed open I don't think it is possible to sever it anymore. For anything bigger than a bear you will most likely not cleave their body in half.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:39 am »

After something is broken and smashed open I don't think it is possible to sever it anymore. For anything bigger than a bear you will most likely not cleave their body in half.

That's why the unkillable creatures can be killed by slade arena swords, they are big, heavy and pointy enough to slice through anything.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

Locking one of these away could be a very cool thing to be able to do. Quick, forge 4 steel chains and bolt it in a room full of traps, then lock the door.

I want this. I want horrors locked away in my fort that lay dormant, healing and dreaming of revenge.
I second this want. I'm fine with not being able to kill some things if I can at least lock them up. When I can't contain something because civilians won't get within twenty spaces of it to build a wall, even when the military has it pinned down, that's a definite game-breaker.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:15:48 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: [1] 2