Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010: Liaisons  (Read 662 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2010: Liaisons
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »

What's happened to them?  Liaisons today?

-- What my question actually is, is this: Will they ever be replaced now?  I think that they're supposed to be, but I"m not sure.  On my last two or three forts, I've lost the liaison pretty quick.  I just now lost him -- possibly soon before he was going to upgrade me to a Barony -- to a goblin ambush.  Which is better than last time, when He showed up and then my leader never scheduled the "Conduct Meeting" labor.  I eventually found his rotting corpse on the edge of the map where the caravan had spawned.  When I got around to making statues, one of them turned out to be an image of him "withering away."  After something went wrong -- I don't recall what -- I checked legends.  Sure enough, he had died of old age in my fort.

Anyway.  Will they get replaced, like in-fort nobles don't, or am I slowly making this world barren of liaisons and thus barons?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010: Liaisons
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:13:23 am »

Just think of it as proactive noble management, or were you needing that Baron alive?
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:07 am »

Well, If I'm not mistaken, you need a Baron to appoint a Dungeon master in 31.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

Oh, crap. Well, I'm only getting Macaques and wolves that I could possibly tame, though mostly they are just butchered. Still, I could see that as annoying. My outpost liaison fell several storeys to his (explosive) death, I think.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »

Well, I can now confirm: New Liaisons will be appointed!  It's been a year, the dwarf caravan is here, and they've got my dwarf.

Great feature update :D