Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about cavern water  (Read 1277 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about cavern water
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:44 pm »

I have, in fortress, a nice mostly flooded cavern with no dangerous beasts around. I've already built a well tapping the water source. I intend to build a little bathing room next to the well, supplied with fresh cave water brought up by a pump stack. The pump stack has already been built, I only need to power it. But my waterwheels generate no power.

So my question is, does cave water that touches map edge have flow? Or do I need to assign pump operation to a handy migrant wave? *or dig many z-levels down to power via windmills... or just designate a pond over the pool and build more buckets...*
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about cavern water
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »

Em... I'd suggest you just toss Urist McCheesemaker on the pump and let him loose.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:11 pm »

..Well, now I know what to do with the next migrant wave that comes... Suggestions on how to power an entire pump stack via operators?

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »

I take it it's no longer possible to hook up a pump that is linked to a waterwheel that's in the waterflow's way? Even if generated by a temporary lack of water caused by the pumping?

Like So:
# = Floor/Wall
1-7 = Water
@ = Gear Mechanism
%% = Pump
WWW = Whaterwheel

#7###############
#%@=====@########
#%######|########
#444556WWW6777777
#################

Of course, it would require a manual start.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:36:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:35:11 pm »

sort of like that, except that

the wheel is hanging over the cavern water, and is linked to the pump by axle and gear mech. is there flow in cave water?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »

Well, my plan involves channeling and pipelining the water to force the wheel to catch the motion of the waterflow. The distance gives it a quicker reaction time.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:42:33 pm »

..perhaps designating a pit/pond is simply the easier option. oh well, back to the drawing board...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:52 pm »

I think windmills would take just as much time and would always provide the power.

I guess you missed my point. What I implied was that starting the power flow requires a manual start (dwarf powered for a few seconds), and I think you may need a few more WWs to keep it powered. I would also maybe advise another pump next to the already existing ones to increase flow and allow for more WWs to power it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:48:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:51:01 pm »

..will try that.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »

Or do I need to assign pump operation to a handy migrant wave? *or dig many z-levels down to power via windmills... or just designate a pond over the pool and build more buckets...*

Use design 3
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Waterwheel

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:50:42 am »

Or do I need to assign pump operation to a handy migrant wave? *or dig many z-levels down to power via windmills... or just designate a pond over the pool and build more buckets...*

Use design 3
Also, create a couple of these together and connect them to each other.  I have found that one reactor can jam or have evaporation issues.  Multiple linked reactors seem to kick start each other.  Don't forget the switched gear between the reactors and your powertrain!
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:11 am »

1 screwpump can produce enough flow for at least 2x2 waterwheels at its sides:
Code: [Select]
WW WW
WWSWW
WWSWW

= 400 - 5*10 = 350 power to your disposal.

I personally prefer an o-shaped lower level rather than an u- or v-shaped lower level (the pump pumps into a channeled tile), but that's probably just me. Hm.. maybe that is the reason why my power generators sometimes run dry? Need to do some more experiments.

Just expand the power generator and try your own designs. But these things are the way to empower your pump stacks.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21:36 am »

Can flying units show up from water edges?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »

Use design 3
Also, create a couple of these together and connect them to each other.  I have found that one reactor can jam or have evaporation issues.  Multiple linked reactors seem to kick start each other.  Don't forget the switched gear between the reactors and your powertrain!

With all the aquifers it's pretty easy to slap one on top of an aquifer and never run out of water.