Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pumping an aquifer in freezing biome? (Minor, Minor Spoilers)  (Read 2027 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

I'm in a biome atm that freezes water, as soon as it hits the air, resulting in insta-ice. I don't want insta-ice, I want the aquifer layer to be pumped out so I can encounter this unknown batman civilization in the underground.

Any suggestions/help?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping an aquifer in freezing biome? (Minor, Minor Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »

Hmm...  can't put a pump in...  Channeling's different so you can't go off of 40d advice on getting through the aquifer....

Edit: Yeah, I think I misunderstood what people were saying about the new channeling with this sort of thing.  I'd thought it was bugged in that it was incredibly likely that the person doing the channeling would fall into the water as it was freezing and get encased in ice and die.

As it stands... yeah...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:54:53 am by Coidzure Dreams »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »

Try digging into the aquifer from below instead. In a controlled manner, of course.

Simply dig through the aquifer, and under that, set up some sort of contraption such that you can breach the aquifer from below without it ruining your life, like lever-controlled floodgates. Maybe have it fill a cistern or something.

EDIT:

Wait, it sounds like all you want to do is breach the aquifer... so why do you need to pump? The water should freeze the second it comes out of the stone. You should have no trouble just digging straight down.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »

You can't "pump out" an aquifer layer, it will just keep dripping water.

Now in cold biomes, water freezes, but only outside! So if you want liquid water, simply make a cavern inside and collect the water there.

I'm not entirely sure what you wanna do though... if you're just aiming to dig through an aquifer, there are a number of methods to do that; freezing shouldn't be a bother with most.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »

Just dig an empty shaft down to the aquifer, make sure its all outside to open air. Then dig into it. It'll freeze, but those ice walls will stop further water from leaking in. So just dig a slightly larger shaft than you need and you can dig down through the ice into the dry layers beneath it.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:27:58 pm »

After you dig through your ice, make sure you wall off the edges so that your tunnel doesn't flood if the "water seal" ever melts.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »

I want to dig through the aquifer, so do I pump out the water, build walls, then head down some more?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:19 pm »

Why would you need to pump out the water? It'll be frozen the second it comes out. You don't need to avoid water that isn't moving.

Just dig a 3x3 (or larger) square into the aquifer layer, which will then promptly become full of ice, and then mine straight down through the center of the ice. Wall off the perimeter if necessary.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »

I'm sorry, I misspoke. It freezes when it hits the surface, underground it's still liquid.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:01:25 pm »

Basically what G-Flex is suggesting is that you do this:
Code: [Select]
O = Wall/Rock/Whatever
A = Aquifer
I = Ice
. = open space
+= floor

From side:
OOOOO z=2
AAAAA z=1
OOOOO z=0

Dig out a 3x3 square in the aquifer but leave the center. Expose to surface.

O.O.O
A.A.A
OOOOO

From top:
z=2
OOOOO
O...O
O.O.O
O...O
OOOOO
z=1
AAAAA
A+++A
A+A+A
A+++A
AAAAA

After you dig out the 3x3, except the center, water will leak out and be exposed to the surface. It will freeze.
AAAAA
AIIIA
AIAIA
AIIIA
AAAAA

Then you can just dig through the middle tile and go past the aquifer.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:59 am »

I'm sorry, I misspoke. It freezes when it hits the surface, underground it's still liquid.

Then expose the aquifer to open air by digging out the soil above it.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:31:57 am »

Aquifers in freezing environments eliminate the need for pumping completely, unless you are reluctant in exposing your staircase to the light. Just channel out everything on top of the intended digging destination, expose your reasonably sized part of the aquifer to the light/outside, watch it freeze all over, and channel out the ice. Do not dig it out in a fashion that will make the parts of the aquifer that aren't light/outside yet leak water onto your miner, or you'll end up with some miners encased in ice.

If you don't trust your frozen aquifer walls of if it's a cold environment where ice might turn into water during summer, enforce the walls of your staircase shaft with some constructed walls.

And keep in mind that you do not want to settle in the aquifer layer. You want to use the aquifer to get water for your irrigation, to have water for your power generators without any evaporation issues, and to have water for your wells. The purpose of the aquifer breaching is just to get a staircase or ramp down to the lower levels.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:25 am »

I recall reading somewhere that smoothing aquifer walls stops them from dripping water, is that true or do I recall wrong?

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:35 am »

I recall reading somewhere that smoothing aquifer walls stops them from dripping water, is that true or do I recall wrong?

You read right, to my knowledge.
The problem is smoothing them...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 02:59:29 pm »

You read right, to my knowledge.
The problem is smoothing them...

It is very, very difficult to smooth sand walls. Very. So very that the game will not allow it in the next million years.
Pages: [1] 2