Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Having a hard time defending goblin ambushes due to military issues.. any tips?  (Read 2321 times)

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ARMOR is key. Metal armor specifically.
As is equipping weapons. Don't send unequipped dwarves to battle. My decently-trained militaries would be slaughtered with leather armor. But recently my military equipped with steel plate and copper axes slayed a goblin ambush without a single scratch.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ARMOR is key. Metal armor specifically.
As is equipping weapons. Don't send unequipped dwarves to battle. My decently-trained militaries would be slaughtered with leather armor. But recently my military equipped with steel plate and copper axes slayed a goblin ambush without a single scratch.

This.

In 40D, a completed naked legendary wrestler was a kung-fu master and could defeat entire sieges by himself. A recruit in masterwork adamantine would die instantly.

In this version, a completely naked legendary wrestler has a lifespan measured in seconds. A recruit in masterwork adamantine is now invincible.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I decided on Lots of Cages (as well as stone traps, just because I like to see the local elephants suffer when hitting a bunch).

The river on this new map is much more accessible now, and I hope to introduce a moat.  I like the idea of an air lock, but I've had problems with puking dwarfs when they go outside. 

I was never much one for underground water maintenance planning, so I have to channel and floodgate to make the underground farm.  It seems straightforward enough, although my first few attempts ended up with my large farm being 4/7 with water by the time the lever was pulled again to close the floodgates.  And I don't think that'll evaporate any time soon.

Sadly I have galena galore and no iron yet.  Maybe a little bit of copper and also loads of zinc...
igless

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep digging. Almost every map will have loads of iron. You can also request iron from the caravan.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye, you should find at least one vein of iron ore and a vein of coal. Flux might be a problem, but you can order it in, just order max of each type.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye, you should find at least one vein of iron ore and a vein of coal. Flux might be a problem, but you can order it in, just order max of each type.

Most maps these days should have entire layers of flux.

Also if you're not afraid to mod the game, you can add the flux token to all types of non-ore rock, meaning your steel industry will never be lacking. Combine that with the automatic vermin remains to coke reaction for your smelter, and now flux and coke will take care of itself. All you need to do is to supply the iron and dwarves to get the stuff processed. To help automatic things I also made the steel reaction automatic. I just manually make the iron bars, then the pig iron, and once I have pig iron and iron bars the smelter will automatically queue itself up to make the pig iron into steel. You can't use pig iron for anything else, so there's no point in having it sit around.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Auto vermin to coke?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Custom reaction somebody made to make some issues in this version less annoying. You can find it on the mod forum.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]