Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF 2010: 300 challenge (spoilers)  (Read 2290 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
DF 2010: 300 challenge (spoilers)
« on: April 20, 2010, 05:33:26 pm »

Tonight, we dine in hell.

This challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to breach the HSF beneath the magma lake. Then, you will slay the demons down there, and...  *drumroll* build a legendary dining room, have the area designated as a burrow, then take a screenshot and save file while your entire dwarven population is down there.

Other rules:

No in game time limit.
Contest ends in 30 days, but I will extend/shorten it by request.
You are allowed to use any mods or hacks you want, BUT when you post your submission, you must post a complete and comprehensive list of all the mods, hacks, and utilities you used.
The contest hasn't started yet! Just post here whether or not you think you're going to do it, and if I get enough participants, I'll start the contest. You can still sign up even after the contest starts.

EDIT: You do not need 300 dwarves. Should have mentioned this sooner.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:29:55 pm by varkarrus »
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2010: 300 challenge (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

300 dwarves itself is an insurmountable challenge for my PC.  For those who didn't inherit their computer from Fred Flinstone I say:  Good luck!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »

300 is a substantial population for even the most potent of PCs, no?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:27:47 pm »

Good thing it doesn't say anything about needing 300 dwarves.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »

This certainly sounds like FUN.

Count me in.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »

Sure. You'll probably have to bugger me about it though.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:32 pm »

As long as I can do it with about 60-80 dorfs, no problem, I'm in. I'm still pondering doing the throne room challenge... but I mod my game to remove clothing to improve my FPS, currently, so that's out for me.

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:13 pm »

I would do it if the demons were actually killable... I mean, some are, but several suffer from the Black Knight syndrome; you can shop off every single body part, but they just won't die and nub your dwarves to death in the end.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:01 am »

I would do it if the demons were actually killable... I mean, some are, but several suffer from the Black Knight syndrome; you can shop off every single body part, but they just won't die and nub your dwarves to death in the end.
well the steammen are the ones you need to look out for still it's also good to try to dig two entrances so that when you do crack down there the first time you can wall off the place need by try to aggro as much so the second breach can come in and do the job. that or mod in super dwarves that can breathe fire and material substance known as 'holywater' that would cause necrosis to any creature outside of the general poison class except dwarves. make disk-launchers that fire slicing disks that can chop through the tangible ones. remove the need to eat and sleep and slap them on training dummies for striking, wrestling, and shooting those flying swords.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »

Current list of players:

Jamini
abculatter_2
rdwulfe

I'm probably going to wait it out and see if more people are willing to do this.
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 04:39:01 pm »

This really depends on your mods.  If someone comes along with organless inexhaustable unfeeling dwarfs made of Slade, they can probably have them just JUMP down there and clear it out through their wrestling prowess.  i mean, until they all dodge into the glowing pits.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »

Though doing so will probably mean that nobody would vote for them at contest end.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »

I'm in; pure vanilla except for one edit: Max fortress population raised to 300.

Tonight, we dine in HFS!

(By the way: Is there a specific site we're all using? If not, how can I ensure that there actually is a Circus Tent under my embark site?)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:33 pm »

In 31.##, the whole planet is sitting on a circus tent.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »

You might want to set the cap higher than 300 if you actually plan on getting that high. Damned kids.

Or you can kill off the kids... (or play long enough for them to grow up, I suppose)
Pages: [1] 2