Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: A mech game  (Read 11635 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
A mech game
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:34:42 pm »

Well, I finally got bored and decided to try my hand at writing a Pen and Paper game again.

Some of you may remeber my last game, which I abandoned due to feature creep and lack of interest (I think Org is trying to start a game on the roleplaying sub board).

well, I learned from my past mistakes and decided to MAKE IT SIMPLE. Just the basics this time.

Essentially, it's a hybrid Rpg/wargame. Outside of the cockpit it acts like an Rpg (no mechanics, just roleplay), while in the cockpit it functions as a wargame, with the players trying to accomplish whatever goals they have and the DM trying to foil them with hostile units.

The actual rules section is only going to be about 8 to 10 pages long, and very simple. One roll for everything.
The real meat to this will be the number of weapons, mechs, and parts that will be available to the players, allowing for alot of customization.
The setting... well, I'm working on it.

I'll post more as I develope this thing.
comments? Opinions? Rage?

Download: (up to date)
Rules: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5C6DQHXJ

Mechs and Equipment: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=88Q64IN1
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:50:16 pm by moghopper »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Trying again
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:30 pm »

RAGE

Outside that, Mekton Zeta sounds awesome.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

Well, I finished up the rules completely. Its short, simple, and easy to understand, but does lack some polish.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, Tl:Dr

Word document avaliable here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F64543VD

It's kind of like a tabletop version of cyberstorm, but simplified.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

Noice. Postin to watch.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:26:52 pm »

Noice. Postin to watch.

Don't get your hopes up, I'm drinking myself into a stupor and may kill a few "creativity" brain cells. So no promises that I will continue

If I still have all my braincells start adding mechs and equipment, as well as a basic setting...

Though before I start I would like some feedback to see if I have something good or not
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:05:00 am by moghopper »

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Trying again: A mech game this time
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:40 am »

I'd play a game with you, mind you, I'm not very experienced with Pen and Paper RPGs.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:39:21 am »

Its easy.
Im in when we play.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:09:35 pm »

doesn't seem to be much interest. Into the trash bin it goes

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:15:30 pm »

Its been a day mog!
Give it a chance.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

Looks like a good setup.  That's a finished system (even if it lacks content) so you've already completed one major check on the list.  I advise you to resist the urge to add new features that require lots of supporting rules.  However, a couple of variant rules that can be explained in a sentence or two may or may not be out of place.  I'm sure you can think of plenty examples on your own, but the only one I would actually recommend is a point-buy character generation option.  Don't even worry about getting it balanced perfectly to rolled stats, just something like "You have 35 points, spend them 1 for 1 to increase your 7 skills to a maximum of 10" or 8 or whatever.  After that you just have to create content, which you can do 1 item at a time.

Hmm.  A thought occurred to me.  You should also specify if a player is supposed to round up or round down when a weapon has its damage halved.

Things to consider about content (the guns, armors, shields, and mechs):  Smaller numbers result in faster play but fewer differences between equipment.  Larger numbers slow down play but allow finer differences between equipment.  Random damage slows down play and helps the underdog in combat.  Don't worry too much about getting equipment balanced.  That's what playtesting is for.  Your players will notice the "Megadoomer X7" is the best weapon and use it exclusively (or exclusively when the enemy has shields, or whatever), and after the playtest is over you adjust the price upward/damage downward/whatever.

Now, to the ugly criticism.  You've got a mechanically redundant weapon type there.  A cannon that does 50 damage and a plasma weapon that does 25 damage work exactly the same (except for skill used).  You can add additional rules to differentiate those weapon types(1), you can adjust the weapon types as is(2), you can do nothing and give players two skills that do the same thing(3), you can combine the weapon types into one(4), or you can do any of the million things I haven't thought of. 

(1: Cannons take no energy fire but plasma weapons do, or plasma weapons burn away part of your own shield and armor?)
(2: Plasma acts as EMP? Full shield damage but no hull damage makes it different from the other weapons, if not exactly plasma seeming.)
(3: Not necessarily a bad option.  It gives your players two chances at a good vs. armor/decent vs. shields skill.)
(4: Plasma is just a specific type of cannon in this option.)

EDIT:  Changed some wording.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:31:53 pm by Cerej »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:34:03 pm »

Sure, I'll play. I love Mekton Zeta.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »

DL-ing.

Edit:
Okay, looks good. Just needs the components/weapons/armor and stuff and we are good.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:39:03 pm by Org »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 09:09:25 pm »

Now, to the ugly criticism.  You've got a mechanically redundant weapon type there.  A cannon that does 50 damage and a plasma weapon that does 25 damage work exactly the same (except for skill used).  You can add additional rules to differentiate those weapon types(1), you can adjust the weapon types as is(2), you can do nothing and give players two skills that do the same thing(3), you can combine the weapon types into one(4), or you can do any of the million things I haven't thought of. 

(1: Cannons take no energy fire but plasma weapons do, or plasma weapons burn away part of your own shield and armor?)
(2: Plasma acts as EMP? Full shield damage but no hull damage makes it different from the other weapons, if not exactly plasma seeming.)
(3: Not necessarily a bad option.  It gives your players two chances at a good vs. armor/decent vs. shields skill.)
(4: Plasma is just a specific type of cannon in this option.)

EDIT:  Changed some wording.

Yreah, I've been mulling over the functionality plasma weapons... I'll thin it over.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 09:21:54 pm »

Maybe just weapon mount size efficiency? Plasma only available on largest, but beats cannon when it is available, but cannon can be used on smaller mounts where it is an effective weapon choice? Plus then you have an early game/late game balance in the skills, as a plasma-user will only be powerful when/once they have plasma while a cannon user will excel before plasma is feasable but later will have to proceed on the number of weapons to make up for the weaker power of them.
Eh?
Eh!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »

Or big Plasma Guns for the Heavies/Mediums, smaller one for lights.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12