Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dining with Goblins at the Gates  (Read 883 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dining with Goblins at the Gates
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:47 pm »

With sufficient food is it be possible to just seal the fortress off and wait out a goblin siege?  On that note, if I so chose, could I close the dwarves off from the outside world indefinitely, once I gained access to towercaps for wood?

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Dining with Goblins at the Gates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:05 pm »

Yes,
Very Yes.

Infact, some people just deal with seiges this way.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »

With a single plump helmet farm, and now with underground tree collection, you could do it indefinitely. Before, you would just lack wood, which is minor if you have magma and sufficient beds. But yeah, a 10x10 plump helmet farm could supply 200-300 dwarves easily.

Also, cage traps are nice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:53:16 pm »

You can get all the wood you need from underground tree farms. Just dig out a large cavern and flood it. What I did was dig way down just above the 3rd cavern layer and dig out an entire z-level. I then flooded it from water in the 2nd cavern layer and let it drain into water from the 3rd cavern layer. It then became a massive underground forest. I set up my fort in the center. I personally made a ramp to the surface so I can trade with the outside world (they happily descend all the way down to my trade depot), but you could just as easily close off the outside world.

If you plan to do that, you might as well just turn off invaders in the init. It will prevent the lag involved with the goblins warring every season with the caravans. It will also prevent the massive piles of clutter from said goblins and caravans dieing, and the announcements of various animals and thieves stealing said clutter.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link