Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cannon  (Read 3182 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannon
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:12 pm »

Dwarves should be able to make cannon as an artillery piece.  It would be quite dwarfy, and its perfectly historical for the target time period.  (In fact, catapults would likely have been an anachronism by 1400).

Cannon have been in use since pre-1400 in europe.  They were used on the Iberian peninsula in the 13th century, and England used its first cannon during the hundred years war at Crecy.  The earliest documented use of gunpowder artillery in combat is in China in 1132AD.

The cannon becomes standardized and effective at both siege and anti-infantry roles during the medieval period in europe.

Gunpowder itself goes back to something like the 9th century in China (and was certainly weaponized in Korea and China pre-cannon, so there's something else cool to do)

Dwarves have the metallurgical and engineering know-how to make a cannon.

Cannon make saltpeter a valuable commodity, and give the alchemist's lab a reason to be re-instated (saltpeter -> gunpowder).

Gunpowder could be stored in bags or barrels.

Early cannonballs were shaped stone, although forged metal ones appeared before the end of the medieval period.

The earliest evidence for a handcannon (handheld gunpowder weapon) appears in the middle east in the 13th century, and there is evidence for their use in both europe and the middle east by 1250.

Grapeshot is first reported by 1350.

Sorry if this has been suggested, but the search engine appears to be down.  (At least, it keeps telling me it can't access the search daemon).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannon
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »

Hey, even I suggested cannon in a thread last week.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:21 pm »

Not to mention, Toady has mentioned that cannons are not part of DF canon.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:04 pm »

*Rimshot*
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:07:38 pm »

*Rimshot*

I wanted to do that...
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »

There already is a siege weapon that does exactly what cannons do. Just use a balista. Its bulky, unwieldy, takes forever to reload, but a well placed shot can take out an entire siege.

Even if cannons were put into the game, what would it add? You now have two siege engines that do the same thing?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »

The other one makes a boom.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:28 am »

I want things that explode, duh.

Gunpowder alone would lead to hours of fun... and "fun".

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:29 am »

Something I would like to see is shaped breachers, i.e. instead of channeling through to the magma you send down a miner dwarf who makes a little hole in the wall leading to the magma, then a mechanic or something with a rough blackpowder charge , placing it in the hole, lighting the fuse and running like hell. FUN things could include misfires and other accidents.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:53 am »

Something I would like to see is shaped breachers, i.e. instead of channeling through to the magma you send down a miner dwarf who makes a little hole in the wall leading to the magma, then a mechanic or something with a rough blackpowder charge , placing it in the hole, lighting the fuse and running like hell. FUN things could include misfires and other accidents.

That would be nice. These days I tend to wait for my first migrant wave before I breach a magma wall so I don't lose an experience miner. Although I must say I kinda do enjoy sacrificing an innocent soapmaker.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:38 am »

It is only loosely based on that time period.
What you gain in deadly beasts and otherworldly metals you lose in useful offensive explosives.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

Armok must have a sacrifice.

Also, mining in that era was basically a deathtrap. As dangerous as mining is even today, mining back a thousand years ago? Lets just say you would need a lot of migrants to keep the mining operation going! ;D

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:24:57 am »

Cannonballs (heated ones, aside) don't technically "boom".  And if you have explosives you can chuck an explosive one with a ballista, no problem.  (In fact, probably less, as you give it a steady acceleration without forcing it out with flame and whatnot, which means you don't have to worry about the charge exploding in the barrel and go the way of timed/contact fuses.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:52 am »

Cannonballs (heated ones, aside) don't technically "boom".  And if you have explosives you can chuck an explosive one with a ballista, no problem.  (In fact, probably less, as you give it a steady acceleration without forcing it out with flame and whatnot, which means you don't have to worry about the charge exploding in the barrel and go the way of timed/contact fuses.

You can pack a hollow cannonball with gunpowder, stick a fuse in it, and fire it from a cannon (which will light the fuse) - that's an explosive projectile.

I was specifically referring to gunpowder as explosive.  Cannon themselves are an entertaining and hazardous variation on siege engines, and could fire grapeshot as an anti-personnelle weapon.
Pages: [1] 2 3