Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sabotaging an election  (Read 1551 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sabotaging an election
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:08:35 am »

So my legendary armorsmith has been the mayor of my most recent fort for about 4 or 5 years running now. At first I was happy for her, despite the fact that she periodically mandates that I make crossbows.

But recently, for the last two years or so, the mandates for crossbows have yielded to demands for large gems.  >:( I've already cut the majority of the gems I've mined out, and while exploratory mining for more wealth (and gems) is clearly an option, I'm still rather upset that this particularly annoying demand keeps coming up.

So my question is this: is there any way for me to sabotage the next election or something? Seeing as how this dwarf is one of my important legendaries, a splattery farewell isn't my favorite option (she's also got 11 children, several of whom are rather dangerous warriors  :-\)...but yeah. Anybody know much about the (40d) election system? The wiki doesn't have much, but I figured I'd ask in case others have had similar experiences.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sabotaging an election
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:17:42 am »

Only thing I can think of is to keep the mayor busy and make sure you have the guy you want as mayor hang out and make lots of friends (lol, run on sentence). The more friends they have the better chance of winning the election.
My personality profile.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:19:46 am »

Take off all the tasks for your broker and another dwarf with good social skills, preferably of the opposite gender, even better if it is somebody he is freinds with, and watch them build social skills.

In the mean time, keep that smith darn busy!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:19:37 am »

hmm...after taking a look around, I discovered two things:

1) The Mayor has NO friends. 1 husband, 11 children, and a reasonable list of acquaintances...but no friends.
2) The Mayor has the HIGHEST social skills in the fort.

Obviously, self-promotion and manipulation abilites are far more important in this fort than a devoted constituency.

I'm keeping her busy and I've promoted the next several runners-up in social skills to full-time socializers. Moreover, I've reduced the meeting areas to a single square in the courtyard, which should give ALL the social folks a decent boost in folks to talk to.

I'll report back to let you all know how this works.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:39:04 am »

Dwarf fortress politics are like real life.
Its not about making friends and being nice, its about being manipulative so that you can make all the demands you want!

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:47 am »

You might need to put the dwarf in her own private area, walled in with a pit for them to drop barrels of food and drink down for her.

Possibly some way of getting at her legendary armor as well.  Possibly another pit.

none0000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:32 am »

As she has no friends, i'm betting its all her family voting for her. 11 kids + husband is a lot of votes.

I suggest killing any of the kids you have no need for, as well as picking another suitable candidate for mayor and making sure he/she gets more than 12 friends or family.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:58:33 am »

As she has no friends, i'm betting its all her family voting for her. 11 kids + husband is a lot of votes.

I suggest killing any of the kids you have no need for, as well as picking another suitable candidate for mayor and making sure he/she gets more than 12 friends or family.

You know it, the dwarfiest solution.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:04:14 pm »

Why not just ignore the mandates?

My current mayor mandates things all the time, and I then completely ignore those mandates. This results in beatings but the beatings do no damage. It is almost impossible to kill anyone with blunt attacks in the current game, and fists are harmless.

So yes, the mayor demands things and then goes and beats people up herself for failing to carry out her mandates, but she inflicts such light damage that they heal up by the time she reaches her next beating target.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »

Because that's a silly, simplistic solution.  It's not very dwarfy to ignore the challenges a game gives you; it's much more dwarfy to pour all your resources into fulfilling the challenges, and maximally dwarfy to pour more resources than you actually have into finding ways to circumvent the challenges by manipulating uncertain variables like social skills.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

Because that's a silly, simplistic solution.  It's not very dwarfy to ignore the challenges a game gives you; it's much more dwarfy to pour all your resources into fulfilling the challenges, and maximally dwarfy to pour more resources than you actually have into finding ways to circumvent the challenges by manipulating uncertain variables like social skills.

But I'm busy outfitting an army with masterwork steel armor and weapons in an effort to defeat hell itself.

Nobles can wait.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »

But I'm busy outfitting an army with masterwork steel armor and weapons in an effort to defeat hell itself.

Nobles can wait.

Hmmm...  Is there some way we could get the Hellions punished for unfulfilled mandates?  Or maybe get one of them elected mayor...  Hmmm...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:45 pm »

Um, isn't there a bug where old Mayors can still give orders?  So this would be bad to change mayors unless u killed the old one?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »

Hi!

Snall is pointing out a very important aspect. Because of a currently reported bug, the mandates will not stop. Even worse, you will no longer be able to see the mandate, only see how a dwarf gets punished when time runs out.

But can't cutting raw glass also result in large gems? I am not absolutely sure, but if that is the case, I suggest simply mass-producing green class and then constantly cut it.

Deathworks
Pages: [1] 2