Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else a sadistic SOB?  (Read 1589 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else a sadistic SOB?
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

These new Kobold thieves are really getting on my nerves.  They turn and flee, from the dwarf they just interrupted, and then go right back towards their original goal once they're a proper distance out, causing several job cancellations and red-textedness that makes me want to scream. 

Then when you chase them down, you can't catch them.  They're too damn fast so all you can do is chase them to the edge.  Traps don't even work because they're trapavoid now I believe.  They sure seem to just walk over mine.

So it happens that I just created a new squad recently.  They're brand spanking new, from the last migrant wave.  The Arsenal dwarf (Arsenist?) hasn't even approved my uniform assignment for them yet, so they've got the clothes on their back and the weapons that Armok gave them. 

Which conveniently makes them light enough to catch the damn thief.  And they did.  And without weapons, the only thing to do is beat the shit out of the little bugger.  The thief is now has no injury that isn't yellow at the least.  Several internal organs, and limbs, are red.  But beating him to death just took too long so I stopped at that point and put the squad back on inactive. 

We'll just let him crawl back home to whatever Kobold camp he came from and let that be a warning to them.  Either that or be an offering to the Skeletal Elephant hordes.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else a sadistic SOB?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:48 pm »

Do you really need to ask that question? You have to have some psychosis to play this game.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:43:48 am »

i don't think kobolds have trapavoid.. I've been lining my entrances with a couple of steel serrated discs and gigant axe blades, next to some chanined wolves and few kobolds get into (pr out of) my fort with all their limbs intact

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:44 am »

Chained war dogs. You need more of them.

I actually once had a cat cause a kobold thief to bleed to death.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

I have them, but the kobold runs from them far before they get within reach of the dogs.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:03:18 am »

If beating up a kobold and actualy litting it live is a moral hurdle to you then your in for a lot of Fun ;D

I also reccomend just using some crossbows to kill the various types of smaller pests.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »

Anyone else a Dwarf Fortress player?

FTFY
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 02:05:59 pm »

I also reccomend just using some crossbows to kill the various types of smaller pests.

You're able to get them to work?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:32 pm »

Kobolds have had trapavoid since 2d version. They're probably just prone to losing parts so easily because they're ridiculously small and fragile.
Seriously, the poor little bastards would probably lose to a handful of cats.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

Kobolds have had trapavoid since 2d version. They're probably just prone to losing parts so easily because they're ridiculously small and fragile.
Seriously, the poor little bastards would probably lose to a handful of cats.
Back in the mountainhomes of Mebzuthiseth, they have this saying: "To liberate a kobold cave, throw four cats down there and go get some booze"

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »

I haven't even gotten any kobold thieves in the new version. It's bizarre.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

If you didn't kill him, it wasn't enough pain for him.  I had one of my dwarves shove a cave fish man off a few z-levels, and beat everything to yellow or red...he didn't die, so I let the dwarf get back to work.  About 3 months later, the blasted creature has healed enough to chase another dwarf off of a huge cliff.   I have no idea why he didn't die.  >:(

KG

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:06:31 pm »

I have them, but the kobold runs from them far before they get within reach of the dogs.
That's why you put the chained war dogs at your gates. So the kobolds can't get in at all.

You might not have any kobold civs nearby. They usually go extinct in worldgen nowadays, try stopping it at around year 200.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

Quote from: DarthCloakedDwarf
You might not have any kobold civs nearby. They usually go extinct in worldgen nowadays, try stopping it at around year 200.
Alternately, up the number of caves a bit. That seems to help.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »

What the above said, I put in some 160 caves in a 129x257 world, and gen for 500 years. I usualy have about half a dozen kobold civs left at the end.

Just dont overdo the caves, or your whole world will be dead instead of just your kobolds. Megabeasts are nigh invincible in worldgen now; my longest gen of 1050 years ended in the age of myth.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2