Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Augh, so many ettins!  (Read 2586 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Augh, so many ettins!
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »

So, I'm on my second adventurer ever, an axeman, and I pretty much went on a quest to go kill an Ettin. I think "Ok, I've done this before, should be a peice of cake." I bring along my longtime companion spearman, who's now a legendary wrestler by fighting beasties, I go to the site, find the cave entrance. I descend down into the cave sneaking, and kill off two gremlins on the way. I find an ettin, easily dispatch of it without it ever seeing me, and then make my way out of the cave.

But then I double check my Adventure Log. I apparently killed the wrong ettin. I turn myself around and go back into the cave. A few levels below the first ettin is a second one. I easily dispatch of this one too, without a scratch on me. Once again I turn myself around and exit the cave, to see if my spearman buddie is still with me. He is, and as I turn to leave again, I realize I STILL haven't killed the right ettin. By now I'm thinking how the hell can there be so many ettins here?!

So I go down even further into the cave into the underground. I turn a corner, and BOOM, another ettin. He interrupts my sneaking immediately and grabs me. In the struggle I somehow lost hold of my battle axe. I fade in and out of conciousness several times, and after realizing I have lost the ability to stand, I crawl away as my spearman catches up. Then a fourth ettin shows up! By now I'm quite sure this adventurer will not last much longer. I crawl away as fast as I can drag myself, but, soon enough, my spearman has killed both ettins!  :o

I immediately travel away to the city that sent me on this god awful quest. I go to bed, and now that I have woken up I am mostly better, just a broken, infected toe. (Are infections certain death? I don't know...) I need to find something nasty to do to the jerk warlord that sent me there.

The best part is that my first adventurer died to an ettin.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Augh, so many ettins!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:43 pm »

Certain death, no, likely death, yes.  At least, based on second hand observation.  I actually have never had an infection so don't know for sure.  But I do recall someone saying they got a cut on their chin or lower lip and it got infected but eventually healed and had a permanent scar from it.

Also, I often find 5 or 6 Ettins in a given cave.  The same is true of giants.  I can't recall if any other semi-mega beasts or mega beasts group up like that.  I seem to recall seeing two dragons in the same cave once, though.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:52:39 pm by PencilinHand »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

Cyclopes definitely do this as well. I killed two and played around with the last two until one of them decided she'd had enough and through me into a wall, at which point I explode quite spectacularly. I think all semi-megabeasts (and possibly megabeasts?) do.

It's nice to know they aren't total antisocials, but that just raises another question, why don't they breed? Do their women hate men more than human women do? Do the men prefer eating/themselves like pandas?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:12 am »

Only enter estrus once a decade, maybe?

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »

Don't the semi-megabeasts have [slow_learner] or something like that? I think that the size, the ability to increase their stats, the tendency to come in groups and the 1050 years they have to get there in your average game (and the great unlikelyhood that they die in the mean time) results in a group of ettins being far more dangerous than anything else that's rotting-syndromeless.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »

You've got that right. The semi-megas in my 1050 game are legendary to a one, and each of them has godlike stats (I've had a giant punch out my spine bare-handed on the first turn. To be fair, I'd dispatched another one in similar fashion with a pike to the skull).
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:25 pm »

Well, that's why you bring punchingbags some companions to help you out.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »

Not so helpful when you easily outrun your comrades and get jumped by five giants simultaneously.

I've been fighting them in this area for a long time. One might say my species has a vendetta against giant-kin now. The latest champion is spending time slaughtering goblins as warm-up, and getting ahold of some very nice gear.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:16:51 pm »

Not so helpful when you easily outrun your comrades and get jumped by five giants simultaneously.

I've been fighting them in this area for a long time. One might say my species has a vendetta against giant-kin now. The latest champion is spending time slaughtering goblins as warm-up, and getting ahold of some very nice gear.
Sneak into caves. They can keep up with you then and you won't be immediately murdered by any nasties you come across. Crawl if you're still too fast.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »

Oh god, started a new adventurer, got a quest to kill a giant, and ran into this:

5 giants. No cave in sight. More loot than I could ever possibly need. I'm going to take some of this crap and buy some better armor and weapons.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:37 pm »

That is a freakin amazing sight!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:07 pm »

:o

Really... I think that sort of thing is SO MUCH MORE AWESOME than when it's been planned!

Plus, I wish toady would put in more hoards like that instead of spreading everything about the site.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:13:07 pm »

Really... I think that sort of thing is SO MUCH MORE AWESOME than when it's been planned!

Plus, I wish toady would put in more hoards like that instead of spreading everything about the site.
I've gotten this before. I think it happens whenever there's multiple (semi) megabeasts at the same site. Which happens a lot.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 02:33:12 am »

I've gotten this before. I think it happens whenever there's multiple (semi) megabeasts at the same site. Which happens a lot.

There also needs to be a number of entity civ sites in raiding distance and enough history for the (semi) megabeasts to do some looting and raiding.  In this case, there may be a bug because, as you said, there is no cave in sight.  So everything that would be spread across ~20 z-levels is all on one level right there in the open.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:47:24 am »

That's true too. I don't know where the cave went.

It's also interesting to note that there are like 5 human ruins nearby. I wonder if these jerks are responsible?
Pages: [1] 2