Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Gustatory Science - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine (currently on hiatus)  (Read 8453 times)

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile

ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod
Version 0.22 - Last updated 4/24/2010
Get it on DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2172

--Description--

In the efforts to broaden the palates of the commonfolk, dwarven scientists at the Gustatory Institute of St. Urist are hard at work improving the variety and complexity of the comestables available to fortress chefs. Cataloged here are their culinary innovations:

-- Mountaintech Meat Grinder --

Together with the Mechanic's Guild, our R&D chefs are proud to introduce a new machine that any self-respecting cook would be silly not to have in his kitchen. Simply throw some meat in there, turn the crank, and watch the magic!  Get yours today!

WARNING: Do not stick your hands or feet into grinder. Wear protective goggles and a beard net while operating the grinder. This product not approved for dwarves under 12.

--Dwarven Beasts of Labor--

Dwarven zoologists are renowned for their skill in coming to horrible, bloody ends at the hands of bloodthirsty monsters. However, a few occasionally live long enough to discover new species suitable for domestication while spelunking in the wild caverns deep below the surface.

Boozebelly Goat: A strange cave-dwelling goat, notable for the high yeast content of its milk. By using boozebelly goat cheese as a fermenting agent, dwarves can produce the delicious liquor known as boozbelly juice.

Snapjaw: A large, ornery turtle found in subterranean lakes. While slow on land, their tough shells and powerful jaws make them particularly suited for protecting watery areas of a fortress. They're shells are also a hot commodity among the dwarves.

--Game Use--

INSTALLATION: Included is a Uristmod mod file thing if you don't want to overwrite default raws.

Meat Grinder Workshop
   Build Requirements:
  • Builder: Mechanic
  • Materials: 1 mechanism, 1 large, serrated disk, 1 enormous corkscrew, 1 stone/wood
Functions:
  • Grind some meat: takes one butchered meat (i.e. meat, eye, liver, etc), produces one ground meat
  • Make sausage: takes two ground meat and one intestine, makes three sausage
  • Process flesh into block (non-meat): takes two inedible butchery products (i.e. hair, sinew, nervous tissue) and turns it into a block-like build mat.
  • Process flesh into block (meat): like above, but uses edible butchery products (rotten meat works too)
Danger: The grinder reactions have a small (15%) chance to release a cloud of bacteria, which can cause nausea, stomach pain, fever, and drowsiness (nothing too severe, though).

Boozebelly Goat
Role: A milkable pet creature. It's quite a bit smaller than a cow, so isn't as useful in a meat industry.

Related Reactions:
  • Ferment Boozebelly Cheese (kitchen): takes one cheese & a barrel, creates booze in the barrel
Snapjaw
Role: A trainable, amphibious pet creature. It's strong and has a sharp beak. Butchering them should give you their shells.

Related Reactions:
  • None yet.
--Known Issues--
Custom reactions won't show up if reagents are in a barrel, requiring a work order to start. I think this is a bug with DF.

--Changelog--
v0.22 - (4/24/2010) - Fixed incorrect skill token (used BREWER instead of BREWING), added snapjaw turtle, made boozebelly goats smaller
v0.2  - (4/22/2010) - added ground meat, flesh blocks, got the goat working, and added bacteria
v0.11 - (4/20/2010) - Fixed creature_ISoB_domestic file. Corrected name of sausage material.
v0.10 - (4/19/2010) - Initial release

--Installation--
Included is a Uristmod folder if you do not want to overwrite default files. See readme for more details.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:06:00 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod (v0.10)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:13:34 pm »

Planned Additions:
No color = future, Green = Done, Blue = In progress, Purple = On hold, Red = Probably not possible, or currently stumping me
More stuff will be added to the list as I think about it.

Spices, Seasonings, and Cooking Ingredients
  • Edible salt - refine rock salt in kiln
  • Baking soda - refine nahcolite (new rock found in rock salt clusters) in kiln
  • Yeast - probably by processing plants... not sure where yet
  • Pepper - yeah, this is going to be a new set of plants.
  • Butter - butter churn: a new use for pump operators!
Meat Grinder
  • Processed Meat Blocks - Don't need all that meat? Build an altar to   Armok out of it! 
  • Use for enemy corpses - Throw those annoying goblin corpses into the meat grinder! (on hold until I get some elf or goblin corpses in a fortress's stockpile)
  • Accidental Amputations - Dwarfs are stupid! (stumping me [lulz] right now , but through mega rot forced amputation should be possible)
  • Blood harvesting - Fill up a barrel with blood (while this is definitely possible atm, it's on hold because the blood is useless right now)
  • Blood sausage - like sausage, but bloodier
More domestic animals:
  • boozebelly goat  (alcoholic milk)
  • snapjaws (big turtles, for shells, turtle soup, and aquatic guardians)
  • great bearded goat (...)
Oven & Stove
  • Bread
  • Soup
  • More bread
  • ???
  • Dwarven Pizza!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:17:53 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:18 pm »

Okay, so the cave goat booze doesn't actually work yet (as of the first release). They milk the goat, the booze gets into the bucket, but it seems to count as a "liquid" instead of a drink or even a food. So it basically appears to be useless at the moment. The dwarves don't even seem to like pouring it in a barrel.

Here's the relevant part from the raw:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone have an idea of how to get this to work? My intention is to have it be an alcoholic drink, but so far no luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:27:45 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »

This looks very interesting!
Re: Cave goat: I don't know much about modding, but you could maybe have it as a brewable ingredient, and have it be "booze milk -> goat booze", with the explanation that the goat milk is only partially fermented and needs further fermentation. However, the result would be an immensely valuable high-alcohol drink, similar to vodka (and that comes in these tiny bottles for $3, so yeah, pretty expensive)

Re: Processor: What do you mean by "meat"? Body parts? Maybe you should be able to process animal chunks and limbs into Dwarven Spam - low value, but easy to make. Also, I have no idea how to do this, but you could make beard nets (heh) a literal requirement somehow, or have a 1/1000 chance per use of a dwarf being sucked in and killed if schle wasn't wearing one.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:32:50 pm »

I probably should have been more specific, but by "meat" i refer to the various edible products that come out of a butchered animal (like meat, brains, eyes, etc.).

It would be EXCELLENT if there was a chance the dwarf could get injured by the processor, but I also have no clue how that would work...  :D

As for using body parts and corpses, I was thinking about that, but the problem (at least for the time being) is that if I use a generic CORPSE reagent, then the product would be the same for a rat as it would be for a whale. This, of course, isn't satisfactory, but the alternative (making a reaction for every possible creature corpse) would be really tedious.

However, I think I will eventually move to utilizing corpses. One immediate use would be to harvest blood from them, as I don't know of a way to get blood into a barrel besides buying it that way.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:36:05 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:41 pm »

Ah, I see.
Anyway, booze milk would be a quick hack, and meat blocks or spam or whatnot would be a useful reaction to have.
I'm not sure it's possible to use blood as a meal component, though.
Hmmm, with the new poison systems, maybe you could have the meals be very slightly toxic? Dwarves who eat processed rhesus macaque butts regularly would get dysentery or botulism or whatnot.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Using similar methods as I did for the whole sausage process, I'm pretty sure I could use blood. It's just a matter of adding a tag to the blood template, which I did to the various meats so they could be made into sausage.

Toxic foods is a cool idea. Not sure if ingestion-based poison works yet, but I'd get a kick out of watching dwarves eat fugu, not to mention hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Unfortunately dwarves don't ever get to eat rotten food, so a lot of the cool food based sicknesses are out the window :(

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »

meat blocks or spam or whatnot would be a useful reaction to have.

LOL, just saw this and a new idea popped into my head...

Blocks of processed meat! Build your altar to Armok from the very flesh of your enemies!!!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

What I mean is... does blood exist? I thought it was just a layer or something in the new version...
Do you mean blood globs or whatnot?

Haha, +goblin meat block+ colossi would be awesome.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, it exists as a default material, usually in liquid form. But, to create a new "food" out of it without making the blood itself edible requires creating another material template. That's what I did with the sausage, and it's the basis for the default tanning reaction too.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod (v0.10) - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:21 pm »

Ah, I see.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod (v0.10) - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:40:18 pm »

Looks like a pretty great idea. I'm too tired to do much with it tonight, but I'll take a look tommorrow. Have you considered making bread?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod (v0.11) - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:06 am »

Bread is a good idea. Flour's already there, just need an oven.

Almost ready to release an update for this. Now the grinder creates ground (insert creature here) meat, which can then be made into sausage (as well as other planned things). Also, you can process meat (and hair, sinews, nervous tissue, etc) into blocks, which you can then build stuff out of. Also, for added Fun, there's a small chance that the dwarf operating the grinder accidentally sticks his hand in and gets grievously injured (well not exactly, but I'm trying to use a syndrome to model it as closely as i can).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 04:16:23 am »

This is pretty cool, yo.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »

If you want the meat grinder to occasionally injure the operator, you could have a low-probability product of the reaction be a gas that causes a syndrome.  I'm not sure if you could get the effects quite right, though (and it might end up injuring others around the workshop as well, or end up as a coating on something and killing everyone). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5