Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping Around  (Read 1652 times)

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sleeping Around
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

Anyone else notice that our dwarfs are considering room assignments more like guidelines these days? Is this actually a bug of some sort (maybe they aren't giving themselves enough time to get back once they start getting tired)?

I found a peasant sleeping in one of my Legendary dwarf's suites (alone, no relationship status between them, no "took someone to bed" thoughts). This isn't an isolated incident, either.

I also regularly find non-military dwarves with perfectly good rooms nearby crashing out in the barracks.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Around
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:23 pm »

Yea, I'm getting that sometimes.
It most often happens when the dwarf doesn't have a bed of there own.

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »

*All* my dwarves have their own rooms at this point, and have for a few seasons (there was a break in immigration, blessedly).

Also there's a dormitory for overflow if some show up... but these dwarves are in and out of each other's bedrooms all day long. It's freaking Dwarven Melrose Place.

Need more lava...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:44 pm »

My take on it (purely observation-based speculation) is that they now often work until critically drowsy, and then grab the most convenient bed. It's a combination of Toady's new work system (he mentioned that dwarves will no longer get slightly hungry then drop everything to go eat!) and a rather practical idea that dwarves who are tired enough will use any bed they can reach, not just their own.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:23:59 am »

the architect speaks sense.

unfortunately it often causes lots of unhappy thoughts, which is annoying and problematic if you are having lots of other problems, like unkillable forgotten beasts or lots of sieges or something.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:41 am »

MELROSE PLACE WITH LAVA!!!  You should write a script!
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »

I've noticed this as well. Dwarves tend to sleep in the nearest bed no matter who actually owns the bed. There is no way to assign rooms to dwarves and make the dwarves actually use that room, so everyone gets unhappy thoughts from not being able to sleep in their own bed.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »

My dwarves keep sleeping in my hospital because it's closer to my industry-floor than my bedrooms-floor.  I've got the preparations in place for giving them burrows to keep the most important workers from doing this, but the haulers will be in and out of there for no reason, I'm sure.

Cerol McHauler: Doc, doc!  I'm drowsy!

Urist McChief: OH MY GOD YOU MUST BE HOSPITALIZED FOR A MONTH GO SLEEP.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:31:15 pm »

My dwarves keep sleeping in my hospital because it's closer to my industry-floor than my bedrooms-floor.  I've got the preparations in place for giving them burrows to keep the most important workers from doing this, but the haulers will be in and out of there for no reason, I'm sure.

Cerol McHauler: Doc, doc!  I'm drowsy!

Urist McChief: OH MY GOD YOU MUST BE HOSPITALIZED FOR A MONTH GO SLEEP.

Yup. I'm going to have to rearrange all of my rooms because of this. :( There's really no point in making bedrooms, but the hospital should be moved to the outer area of the fortress away from the central hub, so that the beds are always free if a dwarf actually needs to use a bed due to injuries.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

Yeah, I don't like seeing unhappy thoughts after I went through the effort of making a bedroom for them.  I think if they can make it to any bed, they should be able to make it to their own bed.  If there's a limit to how far they'll walk to their bedroom, it should be increased. 

It's OK that they finish a job before sleeping, but I think they don't even check between "repeat" jobs.  The problem before was in cooking or brewing... they'd have perishable ingredients at the workshop and then drop everything to go have a drink or a sleep.

It would be cool if dwarves slept longer if they were tired longer.  I'm not obsessed enough to count a dwarf's sleeping habits, though ;p

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »

Does anyone know if it's a bug or just expected behavior for the new version?

It seems like a bug at trying to do this:

Sleepy 1 (getting tired): Keep working
Sleepy 2 (tired): Finish job, seek own bed
Sleepy 3 (exhausted): Abandon job, seek any bed, bad thought

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »

It's OK that they finish a job before sleeping, but I think they don't even check between "repeat" jobs.  The problem before was in cooking or brewing... they'd have perishable ingredients at the workshop and then drop everything to go have a drink or a sleep.

It only checks every so often, not at the end of a job.

It should be where when a dwarf is occupied with a job currently during which he gets hungry/thirsty/tired, and then once he's finished with that job he goes off to naptime.

But how the game is working at the moment is where it seems to only check every X period of time. Maybe once a month? Its not that often.

This means that all of my dwarves are all hungry, thirsty, and tired all the time, even though my stockpiles are overflowing with delicious roasts and booze, and there are beds everywhere. Everyone is unhappy because of this.

If I have a large number of jobs to get done and the dwarf gets hungry during his current job, he should go eat something before going onto his new job. It shouldn't interrupt the task he's currently on, but it should prevent him from picking up a new task until he eats/sleeps/drinks, but it seems the checks are too far apart.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior, but it certainly is harder to keep everyone ecstatic now.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:12:01 pm »

This even happens if their own bed is right by the one they are sleeping in.

I have a hallway of bedrooms. It's set up with 3x3 rooms attached to a 2 wide hallway, with the rooms directly across from eachother. The first north room is used by *everyone* because it's effectively 1 tile closer to the rest of my fort (they would have to step an extra tile across the hallway before entering the door). Even the guy who owns the room right across from it (1 tile farther to walk) will use the north room if its available, and the guy who actually owns the room often has to sleep in the other rooms due to it being occupied. It's funny, I can watch the rooms being filled up based purely on distance without regard to who owns what. The first eight rooms are filled in this order:

7 5 3 1
8 6 4 2

The only way I was able to force them to use their rooms was to remove the bedrooms from the general burrow and add every single bedroom as a separate burrow and assign them only to the dwarves who owned them. This is a *huge* pain, though - especially when they marry and have children (have to add their kids to the room, otherwise they can't visit their parents). I really hope Toady gets this one fixed soon :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 03:18:47 pm »

Did you notice if this this happens even if they're idle? If there are no jobs queued up then they should eat/drink/sleep as soon as they need to rather than wait around and get unhappy thoughts, and hopefully they will go to their own beds in that case.

I'm able to get a few dwarves to sleep in their own beds, but I need to look into this closer. It may simply be that they're working themselves to exhaustion and then they pass out in the nearest bed. If they're not that tired and can walk to their own bed that might be the source of the problem.

Just need eat/drink/sleep checks more frequently.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:35 pm »

Or maybe we need to rethink of how to build the fortresses. No more sleeping quarters floors, but instead little houses with a workshop, some booze and some food, and their own bed. Assign burrows so that the dwarf actually uses his own stuff instead of running off to somewhere else.

The miners and haulers would be screwed, and there would be less happy thoughts about the giant dining room, but at least they should stay in their own beds.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.
Pages: [1] 2