Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Not Exactly a Loveletter to Fans  (Read 15989 times)

thack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not Exactly a Loveletter to Fans
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2010, 05:28:29 am »

No, all you've pushed is your arrogance upon us by snootily nagging people for using terms in ways you don't believe to be correct.

Would like to second that.

Other than being pedantic about something in a completely off-topic thread, I think you (Apolloin) are also confusing 'definition' with 'convention'. What you describe is a convention that the professional game industry might be using in their development, and it is very well unwise to not stick to that convention within the industry. But, indie game development and professional game industry are as different as chalk and cheese IMHO.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

Quote from: Lewis Carroll
`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

http://www.sabian.org/Alice/lgchap06.htm

You're being very azure blimp.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:02 pm »

Sweet mother of... argh, whatever. Why am I keying in on the whole alpha mess here, beyond to get it out of my head and to the people involved in the conversation? The big thing going on seems to just be that whole 'english language' problem we're all sharing here. There's not terribly many words in that particular language that have anything approaching a concrete, singular definition, that isn't used somewhere else to mean something entirely different.

Anyway, I'm just a nobody, really. Not in the game development world. Never will be, especially for anything resembling money. The word alpha has absolutely nothing to do with anything, at all, even remotely concrete to me, a general putzing about game player. If we're getting down to brass tacks, the only solid definition I could give to you would be "more or less means first," possibly followed by "first letter in the greek alphabet," if I dredged my mind a bit. A specific portion of the commercial game development cycle doesn't even appear on the radar.

In as a general game player, completely divorced from the technical aspects of the development process, alpha generally just means something along the lines* of 'earliest released version of in-development game' -- the concept of big-p Production, as an industry technical term, doesn't even enter the conversation. Development means 'not-finished' mixed with 'still being worked on'. Beta just kinda' means 'mostly done, but still getting there'... providing the game's producer doesn't label it something else entirely.

DF's an alpha for the primary reason the boss Toad calls it an alpha and secondary reason that it's roughly analogous to that state in non-professional game development as seen by the outsider. Random joe player isn't wrong to call DF an alpha -- and there's going to be quite a few other joes that would agree with Joe1 when he says that in general conversation. Now, if Joe1 walked up to someone in the industry and starting talking about it, Joe1'd be wrong to use alpha like that, but in general conversation, the fellow's not. It's a buzzword to label a general concept, not a specific definition, and the big thrust of the argument, that I'm seeing, at least, is just a matter of context.

Appolloin's right, Alpha means what he says it does, in the context he's familiar with it -- and he's not out of bounds, per se, for trying to push for a more stringent definition outside of that context. The folks disagreeing with him are pretty much just as correct, though, just in a sightly different way, and aren't without commendation for trying to uphold the word's status as a more general use term. It certainly makes it easier to discuss stuff like DF without having to invent new vocabulary every time something outside of the definitional norms shows up, and 'alpha' is general-use enough these days that most people that see it are going to have a rough idea of what the implications are, which is bloody helpful getting everyone on the same boat and working toward a common goal.

There are cases in the english language when both sides can be right and still be wrong, or something like that.

tl;dr version: Apolloin's right when he defines Alpha, and says DF isn't that. The other folks are also right when they use the word alpha and refer to DF by the term. Lawlenglish, lawlcontext, lawltechnical!terminology.

Finally, just for fun...

No. No. No. If you want to redefine your agreements, then you'd be best labeling them differently. Why cause confusion? You're not working in a completely different farmland, after all. You're also not defining a nation that is even physically near to the first definition. First averages functionality complete, but not vaguely happy complete. Your definition of First Self-sufficient means functionality not complete, content not complete. That's a cold place opposite!

Consider the tone here completely in jest and humor, heh. I'm not poking fun at you, Apolloin, so much as the English language. I love it, but it can be a bit of a fickle mistress.

The big thing to note with that, though, is that, to the best of my knowledge, most of people you're talking to here are working in a completely different field, namely game player, as opposed to developer. The language and both skill and personality sets that implies can be, as we can see in this discussion, rather different.

*The big thing to notice here is that it's not really a solid definition; a vast majority of the english speaking population doesn't use precise definitions when speaking about bloody close to anything. You only get down to that level within technical fields, 99% (to pull a number out of my ass) of the time, which the DF forums really, really are not. It's one of the reasons it's really bloody easy to misunderstand things in the language and one of the myriad reasons English gives non-native speaks fits.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »

This is senseless. If anything, he's done the exact opposite. A development house with multiple team members works in parallel; you have multiple people working on different things at the same time. Toady does the opposite; he's only one man, so the process isn't parallel at all. This isn't to say he should do it differently, but he's not doing whatever it is you just said.

Using the previously posted cycle:
A big team works at the same time towards a single milestone, and then moves on to the next. Toady seems to be working towards most of the milestones mentioned previously, all at the same time.

I sincerely doubt that's how most commercial game development works. In team-based game development, different things will be worked on in parallel because that's the entire point of having multiple people who are skilled at different things.

Oops, should have clarified while writing that, the definition of milestone I was refering to there was the one previously used that only counted major stages(Alpha, Beta, Release, a few others), not the other meaning I have seen, that would be a more general set of development goals set out ahead of time to measure progress, and possibly to form a timeline to attempt to achieve.

To describe DF adaquately would require new terms. Rather than "Alpha", simply describe DF, as it currently is, as 0.31. It relies greatly on context, but it *does* clearly describe how developed it is along it's own timeline.

However, "0.31" fails where it matters most: in conversation with people who have never heard of it before. In that case, "alpha" might actually be the best word. The key is to use a word that both explains it properly, and the average person should have at least a vague understanding of the intended meaning from.
Eh?
Eh!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:14 am »

application of standards
Could you provide links to these 'standards'? All ISO standards on software development in particular and project management in general i know, do not contain such limitations on these stages.

And not to mention that there are many different development models. Including such ones as continuous integration and rapid prototyping. These ones proved to be quite successful and are used world-wide. I see no reason to not apply CI to game development.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2010, 05:00:34 pm »

He has a point, you know. Some random kid's rant about how a one-man show in alpha stage didn't meet his expectations after seven years of work really shouldn't create a thread 12 pages long. Sure, it was an immature and ignorant OP, but come on, don't you have better things to do?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08:32 pm »

Isn't 'better things to do' kinda' contrary to the spirit of DF?

Anyway, conversation's about as good a pastime as any, assuming you've got steady access to food and basic amenities. So... not really. Or rather, it's pretty easy to do the "better" things in parallel with a bit of comparatively healthy dialogue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »

This Appoloin dude represents everything that's wrong with the games industry.  They're so caught up in jargon and formality that they end up making "good enough" games instead of making something worthwhile to contribute to mankind.  They're corporations churning out pop music on a set formula
and schedule, while Toady's ilk are the real artists and rebels, mad and brooding while they devote their lives and souls to their passion.   

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2010, 05:29:36 pm »

application of standards
Including such ones as continuous integration and rapid prototyping.

For DF, that would be continuous integration and glacial prototyping.

This Appoloin dude represents everything that's wrong with the games industry.  They're so caught up in jargon and formality that they end up making "good enough" games instead of making something worthwhile to contribute to mankind.  They're corporations churning out pop music on a set formula
and schedule, while Toady's ilk are the real artists and rebels, mad and brooding while they devote their lives and souls to their passion.

You mean, what's right with it.

Seriously, all Appoloin is doing is defending his industry's jargon. If we started talking about dwarf "screens" and "flea flickers" and "Nickel back defense" in general abusing JARGON you'd find a few American gridiron players defending the proper use of their sport's jargon.

Jargons spontaneously evolve in a sub-culture to describe something EXACTLY within that sub-culture. Appoloin is defending game development JARGON. Facts is facts--- in game development, the word "Alpha" has evolved and taken on an exact context.

Now, we aren't professional game designers here. We (at least most of us) don't work in the industry, so to us, we aren't tuned into that exact definition. And frankly, we don't need to be. That's the thing Appoloin needs to understand. He needs to remember that people outside his industry don't know what the heck he's on about. Out here, it is all "marketting" talk. And DF's "Alpha" is marketting, to let potentional new users (and customers) understand this game is still raw, very early in its development, so they cannot expect mature and well-rounded UI (user interface) and very few bugs--- but they should instead expect crude UI and many, many bugs. So he's arguing the wrong front. In a private conversation between himself and other developers (including with Toady), then he'd be in the right place to do so. Here? Marketting. This is public facing, and a public community.

No insult to Appoloin. In fact, I tip my hat to him. He's living the dream of many developers, working in game development. I hope he has a long, fun filled career and makes many enjoyable games (that I get to play ;))
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:39:28 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »

Well, aside from the jargon argument (I can't say I really like Apolloin's posting style all that much, but I don't assume that he was merely trying to be offensive or flash credentials just to be a jerk) I think the distinction between a game development project where all of the core features are more or less in place and being tweaked and balanced, and a project where new core features are still being added, is an important one.

Often I've felt that Toady perhaps should have just perfected one stage of the game, bugfixed until it was in release shape, then released it (commercially or otherwise).  For example, the old 2d Dwarf Fortress game would have been "Dwarf Fortress I".  The more recent 3d versions would have been part of a totally separate sequel project to the first one.  No doubt he's got his reasons for not doing this, the most likely being that he doesn't want to have to deal with support for this older game, and he'd rather get on with the more interesting "sequel" version that cleaning the 2d version up for a full release, and then supporting it forever once it has been released.  Just speculation on my part.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

Often I've felt that Toady perhaps should have just perfected one stage of the game, bugfixed until it was in release shape, then released it (commercially or otherwise).  For example, the old 2d Dwarf Fortress game would have been "Dwarf Fortress I".  The more recent 3d versions would have been part of a totally separate sequel project to the first one.  No doubt he's got his reasons for not doing this, the most likely being that he doesn't want to have to deal with support for this older game, and he'd rather get on with the more interesting "sequel" version that cleaning the 2d version up for a full release, and then supporting it forever once it has been released.  Just speculation on my part.

I think wheter or not he makes it a sequel hardly matters. Toady would end up with a much 'better' game if he didn't shift his focus around so much. If he had finished the cave system first, released in in a new version, fixed any bugs, and then moved on to the next item on the list, we would have had a better game. Don't get me wrong, I totally love DF and Toady is a god, but it still has many of the big flaws 40d had, and that was released like 2 years ago?

Especially since he's a one-man team he can get new releases out very quickly. I don't quite get why he doesn't bring one out every 2 weeks or so instead of once a year. People can decide for themselves whether they want to grab the newest ones.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »

He has a point, you know. Some random kid's rant about how a one-man show in alpha stage didn't meet his expectations after seven years of work really shouldn't create a thread 12 pages long. Sure, it was an immature and ignorant OP, but come on, don't you have better things to do?

Being the OP I would really like to know what was ignorant or immature about it.  Or did you even RTFOP?  After nearly two years I don't see an improvement to actual gameplay.  I would argue that part of the game development process is to make something more fun as you go along.  Apart from the combat logs, this version is not much more fun and in some ways significantly less.  Also not a newb (or a kid), saw that somewhere too.  That's all I got, back to lurking.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2010, 04:32:46 pm »

Especially since he's a one-man team he can get new releases out very quickly. I don't quite get why he doesn't bring one out every 2 weeks or so instead of once a year. People can decide for themselves whether they want to grab the newest ones.
Because huge intervals between releases wasn't a big problem in the past, and by the time he realized it was a problem this time he was in too deep.  For reals, guys.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »

I would argue that part of the game development process is to make something more fun as you go along. 

Indeed!

Losing is fun.
It's easier to lose in the new version.
Thus the new version is more fun.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

I would argue that part of the game development process is to make something more fun as you go along.

Indeed!

Losing is fun.
It's easier to lose in the new version.
Thus the new version is more fun.

I concede.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14