Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Enormous disc-shooter.  (Read 5129 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Enormous disc-shooter.
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »

Is there a way to mod in a siege weapon that shoots large, bladed discs at insane velocities? I think it would be a very dwarfy weapon, as it takes the ballista concept and makes it more axey.

Anyways, perhaps with a little work, it might be possible to kill those unkillable megabeasts (a sufficiently powerful slash could take off the head or cut off the lower body).

Is there a way to make this work, or are the current siege weapons hard-coded into the game?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Enormous disc-shooter.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:38 pm »

You could make a handheld version, but not a siege weapon; siege armaments are currently hardcoded, sadly.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:28 pm »

No, you can mod in new siege ammo; it's just that it all functions essentially the same way.  I think the only tag for siege ammo is NAME or something of a similar function.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:02 pm »

No, you can mod in new siege ammo; it's just that it all functions essentially the same way.  I think the only tag for siege ammo is NAME or something of a similar function.
So I'd need to make razordisc ammo for a ballista then.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:48 pm »

Yeah, but for all intents and purposes it would be a ballista bolt.  You can't do anything about it's edge, or weight, or anything you can fiddle with in the weapon and ammo raws.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

Yeah, but for all intents and purposes it would be a ballista bolt.  You can't do anything about it's edge, or weight, or anything you can fiddle with in the weapon and ammo raws.
How awful... oh well.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »

You could, however, mod in a handheld version of the above device. Hmm. I wonder how that'd work out? Probably function like a ranged axe, I'm thinking. Except... oh... oh, by Armok, that thing would be unbelievable.

*goes to mod in his very own disc-shooter*
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:00 pm »

You could, however, mod in a handheld version of the above device. Hmm. I wonder how that'd work out? Probably function like a ranged axe, I'm thinking. Except... oh... oh, by Armok, that thing would be unbelievable.

By Armok, this sounds murderously fun! You've gotta share it with us when you've finished.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:41 am »

Well, it seems decently effective so far. Haven't tested it on anything but a dragon yet, but I did manage to send the dragon into unconsciousnessThrough bloodloss and extreme bodypart damage. Unfortunately, this was after I got caught in some dragonfire and began to melt.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:10:20 am »

Sounds like its working well!
Cough up some code...

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Had to make a new "ammo" disk, and it can technically be used by crossbows. As I wasn't sure exactly how SIZE affects the whole projectile speed thing, I multiplied SHOOT_FORCE by an amount that should result in the same velocity as a bolt from a crossbow (if my assumptions on the whole SIZE issue are correct). Further testing has shown that it is capable of cutting a giant toad in half with a single blow, and is entirely capable of causing lethal wounds very quickly. Unfortunately, it doesn't penetrate armour very well, as was shown by a fully armoured goblin I tested it on. The disks would just bounce off its armour, and it ended up dieing from blood loss after I lopped its arms off.

Current results:

Elk: chopped in half in one blow. Took several tries to hit it due to range and low skill.
Giant Toad: chopped in half in one blow.
Fox: limbs torn off, bled to death.
Goblin: Wearing iron breastplate, greaves, and helm. could not penetrate armour. Died from blood loss after arms were removed.
Giant: sustained injuries to arms, throat torn open. Killed my diskman with a swift blow to the head, crushing his skull and piercing his brain with the bone fragments. It appears he survived, although he's now listed as "Pale".

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12:05 am »

Now we have to make a gun that shoots blobs of acidic stuff. Hm. Unreal Tournament weapon mod time?
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:27:17 am »

you can give the ammo another class than bolt... else dwarfs would use normal bolts for it too

for example "CLASS:DISC" and then ad "RANGED:CROSSBOW:DISC" to the weapon.

i have the same with bullets for my thunderbluss mod, it works just fine to use different classes.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:38:09 pm »

Now we have to make a gun that shoots blobs of acidic stuff. Hm. Unreal Tournament weapon mod time?
Yes, that would be awesome.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

Ooh, in the previous version I had a humongous bow that shot logs (well, you know, bludgeoning arrows that did tons of damage). It worked rather well - half the time you were shot with it, you would fly into the wall so hard that you exploded. I also made a chainsaw (high goring damage).
Pages: [1] 2 3