Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Enormous disc-shooter.  (Read 5126 times)

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enormous disc-shooter.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »

you can give the ammo another class than bolt... else dwarfs would use normal bolts for it too

for example "CLASS:DISC" and then ad "RANGED:CROSSBOW:DISC" to the weapon.

i have the same with bullets for my thunderbluss mod, it works just fine to use different classes.
I DID NOT KNOW THIS! Thank you very, very much for this.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 01:23:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wouldn't a serrated disk also use a bit of blunt damage? It doesn't exactly pierce like a normal bolt... Maybe tone down the edge and give it a bit of blunt. It would make it even more deadly though which is not something it needs atm. My GM marksdwarf in the arena killed a dragon before it even got close (on flat terrain w/o anything in the way).

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:34 am »

I think that it would mostly do goring/slashing damage, no?  I mean think about it; sharp bit flies through air and sprays blood everywhere at the point it meets squishy flesh, and if it's going fast enough, rips off an important limb.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:26 am »

Edge generally implies piercing though, most weapons (including axes and swords) do both types of damage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 02:14:51 am »

I also made a chainsaw (high goring damage)
Who haven't? :P Any future/modern/zombie mod without a chainsaw is lacking :P.

I am making this:

into the Wasteland mod. But it is not a simple circular saw. It shoots discs too :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 02:29:57 am »

Changed the ammo like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why were all your numbers so high? your contact area was like 50000 or something...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 04:07:31 am »

50000 is not too much.

500 is like a very sharp spear tip. 50000 is like an axe, and a DISC's constact surface is not as small as a bolt's tip surface.

For comparison, claymore's contact surface is 100000, great axe's is 60000, so 50000 is like a normal axe.

P.S. I've just checked and the ingame's serrated discs are 100000. But I think it's too big for shooting, so 50000-60000 is ok.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:09:15 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 05:23:25 am »

From what I can see from looking at the weapon raws,(I haven't really tried raw modding in this release much) the reason most weapons have both edge and blunt, is because you can hit them with both the edge and the flat of the blade, or the handle, pommel, shaft, ect. If an arrow or bolt is using blunt, something is wrong, as you just shot the thing sideways. I feel the some holds true for this disc shooter. In fact, it looks like you only get one kind of damage per attack, so having ammo do two types of damage means it has two different kinds of attacks. One with an edge that rips into the flesh, and one that is the flat side hitting it, which I don't see being very effective, nor does it seem to be the feel the OP was going for. Of course, all this is just me looking at the raws. I haven't tested any of this out, as I'm a lazy, lazy man.

If I'm picturing it right, the ammo is basically a large buzzsaw blade, like what you might find Gorden Freeman tossing around with the gravity gun. In fact, that's exactly how I picture this weapon, minus the ability to shoot anything else, which doesn't make it any less cool.

Also edge represents both piercing and slashing weapons, depending on the size of the contact area, and penetration rating. For instance, the battle axe has a lot of surface area it hits with, but it doesn't go very deep, (unless it happens to, you know, chop off a limb) whereas the spear only has a contact area of 20, (less then bolts and arrows) but it goes almost twice as deep as an axe.

For some reason, I feel really dirty after writing that last paragraph. I'm gonna go take a shower.

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:00 am »

50000 is not too much.

500 is like a very sharp spear tip. 50000 is like an axe, and a DISC's constact surface is not as small as a bolt's tip surface.

For comparison, claymore's contact surface is 100000, great axe's is 60000, so 50000 is like a normal axe.

P.S. I've just checked and the ingame's serrated discs are 100000. But I think it's too big for shooting, so 50000-60000 is ok.
Yeah, but it's a serrated disk, not an axe. I would think a spinning serrated disk would have a small contact area (although your right 400 was a little low), now that I'm not half asleep and I'm thinking logically I would still only give it 20000 - 30000.
From what I can see from looking at the weapon raws,(I haven't really tried raw modding in this release much) the reason most weapons have both edge and blunt, is because you can hit them with both the edge and the flat of the blade, or the handle, pommel, shaft, ect. If an arrow or bolt is using blunt, something is wrong, as you just shot the thing sideways. I feel the some holds true for this disc shooter. In fact, it looks like you only get one kind of damage per attack, so having ammo do two types of damage means it has two different kinds of attacks. One with an edge that rips into the flesh, and one that is the flat side hitting it, which I don't see being very effective, nor does it seem to be the feel the OP was going for. Of course, all this is just me looking at the raws. I haven't tested any of this out, as I'm a lazy, lazy man.

If I'm picturing it right, the ammo is basically a large buzzsaw blade, like what you might find Gorden Freeman tossing around with the gravity gun. In fact, that's exactly how I picture this weapon, minus the ability to shoot anything else, which doesn't make it any less cool.

Also edge represents both piercing and slashing weapons, depending on the size of the contact area, and penetration rating. For instance, the battle axe has a lot of surface area it hits with, but it doesn't go very deep, (unless it happens to, you know, chop off a limb) whereas the spear only has a contact area of 20, (less then bolts and arrows) but it goes almost twice as deep as an axe.

For some reason, I feel really dirty after writing that last paragraph. I'm gonna go take a shower.
You could be right on that one damage at a time, I just switched to this version and haven't modded much yet. That would be really limiting though.  :-[

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 10:55:39 am »

I always considered the contact area thing to be the size of the entire damaging surface.  So it seems to me that a sharp spinning disk about the size of a one handed axe head isn't very big at all.

But I see a disk spinner thing to be about the same as a Unreal Tournament Ripper, I donno if that's bigger or smaller than what the OP was imagining but those numbers look about right to me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 11:00:43 am »

Nah, 100000 is like a 2-handed sword, so the disc should be smaller.

Serrated discs which were used as base are bigger because they are not an ammo, but huge trap components.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 12:56:35 pm »

I always considered the contact area thing to be the size of the entire damaging surface.  So it seems to me that a sharp spinning disk about the size of a one handed axe head isn't very big at all.

But I see a disk spinner thing to be about the same as a Unreal Tournament Ripper, I donno if that's bigger or smaller than what the OP was imagining but those numbers look about right to me.

I'm taking a realistic approach. To shoot it out of a modified crossbow at a high speed, it would have to be about ninja star size. But it is a game, so you can make whatever you want.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 01:06:24 pm »

Eh, if it was a ninja-star sized disc, it wouldn't be "enormous" disc shooter. Do not derail the thread please :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

Eh, if it was a ninja-star sized disc, it wouldn't be "enormous" disc shooter. Do not derail the thread please :).
It already is derailed, this thread was originally about a siege weapon, not a crossbow.

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »

I also made a chainsaw (high goring damage)
Who haven't? :P Any future/modern/zombie mod without a chainsaw is lacking :P.

I am making this:

into the Wasteland mod. But it is not a simple circular saw. It shoots discs too :P.

I can barely make out the "Bethesda Softworks" down there - what are we looking at? Fallout 3 after enduring the first 15 hours?

Edit: btw, once some form of explosions is moddable (i.e. with the magic arc) it'll be time to remake Starsiege: Tribes weapons..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:12:12 pm by Peteł »
Pages: 1 [2] 3