Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How might I make my dwarves into cannibals?  (Read 2896 times)

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How might I make my dwarves into cannibals?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:00 am »

Edit: Nevermind, I can't read.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:11:42 am by labouts »

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 02:43:24 am »

If you just wanted them edible, you might be able to make them out of plump helmet man tissue.

Since dorfs regard that as food.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 01:10:22 pm »

Don't they regard meat as food?  Or do dwarf corpses not have any meat on them? 

Also, can't wild animals be butchered?  I can't imagine that you'd be able to get a live one into your butcher shop very easily.

Ceeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:13 pm »

Also, can't wild animals be butchered?  I can't imagine that you'd be able to get a live one into your butcher shop very easily.

I've had trouble with it.  I manually sent out a military dwarf to take out some wild animals in my current fortress, but it wouldn't let me butcher their corpses. I'm guessing it isn't possible unless a hunter specifically kills it and drags it back - but I could be wrong.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 01:31:24 pm »

Making dwarves butcher their own corpses is impossible. You can however mod dwarves to butcher and eat any other sapient race witht he following tags.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Im using these in a mod im curretelly making. Unlike 40d, .31 actualy saves ethic changes now.

And though you cant butcher dwarf corpses, you might actualy be able to use them in a custom reaction, added to the butchers shop or some custom workshop. Something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesnt spit out any errors, but I havnt tested more then that. But as long as you can get it to recognise and use the dwarfs corpse as a reaction item, it should be possible to make you dwarf biscuits and wear you dwarf leather cloaks.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:38 pm »

I've had trouble with it.  I manually sent out a military dwarf to take out some wild animals in my current fortress, but it wouldn't let me butcher their corpses. I'm guessing it isn't possible unless a hunter specifically kills it and drags it back - but I could be wrong.
You have to set a refuse pile for corpses right next to the butcher shop.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:56 am »

I can confirm that just adjusting the civ ethics works fine to allow dwarves to butcher goblins and kobolds. They still will not eat their own, so you'll still need a custom reaction for cannibalism.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:15:17 pm »

Wild animals can be butchered no matter how they died, but tame animals can only be butchered if they were deliberately slaughtered at the butcher's shop.  I suspect that even if you convince your dwarves that dwarf meat is perfectly yummy and ethically permissible, they'll still only eat a dwarf who's a member of your civilization if that dwarf was deliberately slaughtered at the butcher's shop.  Dwarves who arrive with goblin sieges are probably fair game however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »

Yes, but they'll just up and eat plum helmet man corpses rather than having to butcher them to get at meat and bones and things.  So, was a suggestion for an idea that would avoid the bit about butchering being necessary.  No idea if it works until it's tested out though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:44:06 pm by Coidzure Dreams »

Ceeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:45 am »

You have to set a refuse pile for corpses right next to the butcher shop.

Hey, that works. Thanks!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 11:58:40 pm »

Not a problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »

So what marks a creature as sentient for the purposes of butchering?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

[INTELLIGENT] might have something to do with it.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »

CAN_SPEAK, CAN_LEARN or INTELLIGENT seem to make default dwarves refuse to eat the creature.

The tags I posted above can solve that.

Turns out by the way that theres no way to butcher your own entities creatures without giving them some silly corpse item. Reactions and butchery shop are hardcoded to ignore them.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:05 am »

Ugh. So if I make dogs able to learn, dwarves won't be able to eat them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3