Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How might I make my dwarves into cannibals?  (Read 2890 times)

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How might I make my dwarves into cannibals?
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:11:01 pm »

I'm a completely inexperienced modder, so please bear with me.  I'd really love to know how to get my dwarves to be cannibals.  Ideally, they'd treat dwarf corpses like animal corpses and be able to butcher them (and tan hides, use bones, fat, etc).  Even better would be the option to designate a dwarf to be butchered, but this is not essential. 

Thanks in advance.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: How might I make my dwarves into cannibals?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »

It's all in the entity ethics.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »

I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work.  I have a dead dwarf (one of my own) which can be reached, but in my butcher shop I there is no option to butcher an animal.  It's also possible that I just don't know how to get my dwarves to do what I want, I guess?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:18:53 pm »

You need to have dwarves that are designated as "Livestock" to butcher them.

This can be achieved with castes, if you are interested, but you cannot turn a livestock dwarf into a regular dwarf or vice versa without some kind of memory hack once they are designated as one or the other.

Simply create new castes (or just make all of one gender livestock), and add the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags.  You can even use [POP_RATIO] to alter their odds of showing up during births or migration.

You can do quite a bit with castes, and can even make actual livestock a type of dwarf, so that if, say, cows are made a caste of dwarf, dwarves will give birth to cows, which can then be milked or butchered, and cows will give birth to dwarves.

My testing has shown there's really little limit to the kinds of strange things you can do with castes that you can do with creatures in general.  I even had a dwarf woman marry a male livestock dwarf, then milk him, then butcher him, and cook his meat along with his milk.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:06 pm »

I even had a dwarf woman marry a male livestock dwarf, then milk him, then butcher him, and cook his meat along with his milk.

Wow, that's incredibly sadistic.  Good idea to use castes though. 

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, then "Livestock" dwarves don't also do work.  What I'm after is the ability to butcher dwarves that might potentially have important roles in their society.  That way, in the case of a food shortage, I'd have to make a decision of which important dwarf to kill for food.  Is this impossible?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »

Can't you just add [PET] to all dwarves, Kohaku? Or does that have the lobotomising effect?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:09 pm »

[PET] (or a lack of the [INTELLIGENT] tag) makes your dwarves no longer commandable, as the (v)-menu treats them the same as a pet, so you cannot change labors.

They can still have labors enabled, however.  Peasants will have hauling labors enabled, and if you gave them any other skills on embark, or if they had any jobs randomly assigned to them when they migrated, they will have those labors enabled, but it will be impossible to change them without using a memory hacking tool.  If they are unintelligent (heh) or do not have [CAN_LEARN], then they will not even gain skill ranks for this, so it can be quite annoying.  Dwarf Therapist, however, since I assume it still allows for memory hacking labor assignment, would allow for normal changing of your dwarves' labors.

They can also have relationships, and marry, obviously, even without [INTELLIGENT].

As for killing certain kinds of nobles... all I can say is that you can restrict nobles to one gender, and make that gender into pets... it means you'll have to turn half your dwarves into livestock, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »

Now your faced with the moral choice of being evil because you make the females into pets, and thus not treat them equally as dwarfs, or being evil and making your males into pets, thus making the women do all the hard work and not treat them equally as dwarfs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »

Now your faced with the moral choice of being evil because you make the females into pets, and thus not treat them equally as dwarfs, or being evil and making your males into pets, thus making the women do all the hard work and not treat them equally as dwarfs.

The Unfair Sex indeed.

Actually, though, I wonder what will happen if you make ALL your dwarves have the [PET] tag, and just assign labors through something like Dwarf Therapist...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »

The best way around it would be to make the females pets and give them cat ears and a tail...

Neko dwarfs is a scary thought. NEED BRAIN BLEACH!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:27:17 pm »

Be fattened up and devoured as livestock, or do some work? How can I choose?!

Far off topic I know, but has anyone tried making invading races [PET]s and/or trainable?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »

Just tested, you CAN make your entire civ species [PET] (while still INTELLIGENT), and then, presumably, use Dwarf Therapist to do all labor orders.

I'm not sure how this works regarding military, though...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »

The best way around it would be to make the females pets and give them cat ears and a tail...

Neko dwarfs is a scary thought. NEED BRAIN BLEACH!
max white 'neko dwarf' has already been done before in 40d with an female adventurer a male cat and tons of waterfalls made using water ruins to keep every one in the mood.
actually it's been done twice really but the first one wasn't really deem special as second one probably due to the first was an male and the second was a female.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:11:52 am »

Aside from using dwarf therapist, is there no way to do this?  Even if dwarf corpses just behaved like animal corpses, I would be satisfied. 

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:57:56 am »

As far as my testing can tell, if the dwarf is killed rather than slaughtered at the butchery, you can't butcher their corpse.  It's sad but as far as I know unavoidable.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: [1] 2 3