Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Easy Way to make Dwarfbucks?  (Read 1577 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
The Easy Way to make Dwarfbucks?
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »

If you were to buy, then decorate, then sell a trade good to the trader, wouldn't you gain a profit from him?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Easy Way to make Dwarfbucks?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:11:03 pm »

As far as I know, Traders only do straight-up goods for goods.

Then again, I'm not too experienced with dwarven economy.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »

Gax: you'd profit, yes. Enough to be worth the effort? Probably not.

Just make lots of large serrated discs out of your preferred metal and sell them directly. Even a standard quality iron one is worth loads.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:33:33 pm »

The best way to up your wealth is with food. If you're using dwarven syrup each single sweet pod produces a stack of 5 ☼20 syrup. If I remember correctly, you can have a stack of 11 sweet pods when having a legendary +5 farmer and fertilize it. This means that you'll have a stack of 55 syrup. Which costs ☼1100. When cooking the dwarves use up to 4 ingredients in a meal. Or 4 stacks of ingredients. So in ideal situations you can have a meal stack of 220 units. Even if all of it is no-quality prepared, it still costs ☼4400. If it's all masterfully minced, it's value is multiplied with 12. So under perfect conditions, you can have a stack of 220 masterfully minced dwarven syrup which cost 220*12*20 or ☼52800. But then again, these are perfect conditions which are near-impossible to achieve.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »

In the last version, I made millions off of the Giant Cave Spider Silk Narrow Clothing I got from the goblin sieges. Not sure if that still works in this version.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:02 pm »

Make rock crafts repeat.

'Nuff said
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:18 pm »

If you don't want to clutter your stockpiles, you can do pretty well by buying diamonds, and star rubies/sapphires, then decorating items with them.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »

If you don't want to clutter your stockpiles, you can do pretty well by buying diamonds, and star rubies/sapphires, then decorating items with them.
One of my preferred options, once I can actually afford the more valuable gems. That also works, BTW, with studs made from interesting metals, GCS decorations, leather decorations, etc. My personal favourite method in that vein remains lavish meals made using imported and valuable meats and cheeses, like cave beast meat, dwarven cheese, things like that. If you're on good terms with the elves, buy interesting animals and breed/slaughter them; you get valuable meat, bones, and leather in one easy-to-open package.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:30:59 pm »

Easy pretty much depends on how you set up your fortress.

Spoiler: All the myriad ways (click to show/hide)

I've probably forgotten a few and repeated quite a few others.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

I second almost everything Jualin said, though I don't recommend selling food until you hit your population cap Clothing isn't a bad idea either, if you don't mind having to import the raw materials; turning a bin of cloth into a bin of even ordinary-quality garments adds a lot of value for not a lot of effort. The only downside is that the moods you'll get out of the relevant professions won't directly contribute much to fortress defence,
And I definitely recommend selling goblin armour rather than melting it down yourself unless you're on a map without iron or copper and tin, at least until Toady One implements the Law of Conservation of Mass, as long as you don't become totally dependent on it.

In fact, now I come to think of it, another easy way to turn a profit is to produce as many different sorts of goods as you possibly can, do that you'll almost always have at least something last year's liaison offered a premium for.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:23 pm »

Make rock crafts repeat.

'Nuff said

I do this. It's hard to run out of rock, and frankly, the only real downside is that unless you're willing to give away your wooden bins (I'm not) you spend insane amounts of time marking things to be brought to the depot and traded. But really, a single dedicated stonecrafter can outbuy every caravan I've had yet and leave them ecstatic and still have more than enough crafts to give a sizeable offering.

Then again, I don't really give a crap about what traders bring and usually just order nothing but rare metals. It's easy enough to take care of your own fort.

Zuboki

• Escaped Lunatic
  • ...*gasp*...*gasp*...*gasp*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:59:50 pm »

I personally prefer mugs and mechanisms. Sell every mechanism under *quality* (or perhaps -=quality=-, if you mechanic is any good), and keep the good ones for traps. If your stonecrafter hits Legendary, you'll easily buy out entire caravans. Also, if you embark in an area with primarily flux materials, you can allow non-economic use of them and benefit from double-value goods, both in trading and making nobles happy with smaller rooms.

I always keep my bins, as well. I never have enough, even with a legendary carpenter and 3 woodcutters.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »

Your profit margin would only be the decoration's value, which is 10 x material x quality. The same as making generic crafts, I think.

I tried exporting mechanisms once, but it turned out they were so heavy that the merchant's wagon got overloaded. I had to buy a bunch of lumber I didn't need.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:57 pm »

I tried exporting mechanisms once, but it turned out they were so heavy that the merchant's wagon got overloaded. I had to buy a bunch of lumber I didn't need.

If you're not concerned about what traders are bringing, have the liason order nothing but the heaviest metals and give traders plenty of profit. You can buy their cheap metal easily and in exchange have obscene amounts of space with which to overload them with valuable goods. I suppose that that's where decorations come in handy (no extra weight, extra value), but I'm too lazy to decorate.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »

I start with just stone crafts, but upgrade them to green glass-decorated stone crafts as soon as the magma is flowing.  It occupies a fair few dwarves (sand collector, glassmaker, gem cutter, gem setter and haulers) but it doubles the value of those stone crafts and can be used to train glassmakers and jewellers entirely on renewable resources.  Plus, as raw glass has no quality, you can start with several unskilled glassmakers and then when they've skilled up a bit switch all but one of them to making glass crafts etc.  Once gem-setter skill starts getting high I'll do as others have mentioned and start decorating with imported high-quality gems.

When I get appropriately skilled immigrants I'll also run for-profit clothing and metalcrafting industries.  With a high-skilled metalcrafter there's nothing that pumps wealth faster than golden goblets. 

I see high wealth as the best way to get challenging goblin sieges fast, so I try to get as many wealth-improving industries going all at once.  I haven't had time to play a long DF2010 game yet, but I'm hoping that the caverns will allow any map to have abundant silk and underground wood farms that were only possible on cave-river maps before.  I might even try for large-scale clear glass production some time.
Pages: [1] 2