Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An actually possible method for making poison bolts?  (Read 1041 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
An actually possible method for making poison bolts?
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:58:57 pm »

I was thinking, if you made a metal (out of, say, lead and pitchblende) that had a melting point between room temperature and body temperature (if that is indeed higher than room temp), you could make a crossbow bolt that would melt if it stuck in the target, thereby releasing its contagion.

Backup plan is to have it melt just below room temp, and use special equipment with [FIXED_TEMP] much lower than that to handle them.  (Nether-cap crossbow and Blizzard Man leather quiver, anyone?)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An actually possible method for making poison bolts?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »

I like this idea. You should do some testing on it. ;D

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »

a VERY interesting idea!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:26:30 pm »

So, can any of you tell me what temp to try first?  I need to know where to put the melting point to test this.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:28:43 pm »

I can't tell you what room temperate is in DF, but the average body temperature for things like humans is 10067.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »

The below room temp plan won't work as it will melt as soon as it is created, before it is placed into the container (even if it is placed into the container as part of the reaction).

Body temperature melting? Don't know about it but it is worth testing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:05 pm »

1) The shooter will melt it by contact.
2) *Room temperature* is sometimes greater then body temperature.
3) This idea is awesome and you are a genius.

I shall test it in the arctic, were t never gets warm, with a custom race of people will low average body temperatures.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

Okay then, what if this was made solely an anti-magma/fire man weapon?

Also, wouldn't a room of items that have low FIXED_TEMPs be colder than average room temp?  You could make and store the 'compound' in there, and give it a high SPEC_HEAT value so that bolts made out of it will only melt after being outside for a while.  As for any that aren't sticking out of the enemy by then...
Who said they're weren't hazards to handling toxic chemicals?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:05 am »

Okay then, what if this was made solely an anti-magma/fire man weapon?

Also, wouldn't a room of items that have low FIXED_TEMPs be colder than average room temp?  You could make and store the 'compound' in there, and give it a high SPEC_HEAT value so that bolts made out of it will only melt after being outside for a while.  As for any that aren't sticking out of the enemy by then...
Who said they're weren't hazards to handling toxic chemicals?

That sort of makes me wonder if having a freezer hall to the butchers workshop would make corpses last longer.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:23 pm »

Probably not; I doubt Toady has coded temperature affecting rotting time in yet.  :P

It'd still be 'cool' though  ;D

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:13 pm »

well gears and ext are called "trap parts" for the current coding so he could make a new building/machine that is simply a fan. it'll function like a water pump but for air...which we don't have air flow yet...would help for SO many thing but obviously too complicated for a good number of releases.