Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Ignornce is Strenght  (Read 41427 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Ignornce is Strenght
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »

Perfect, just need to find recording software, make a video and figure out a way where we can both comment on it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

Hee, count me in. I'm no religious expert, but I can A) talk about how bad his game structure is and B) provide an outsider's opinion.

But mostly I'd like to bash Mdickie.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:06 am »

Transcribe the wacky-but-usually-concise laws of the Israelites into an applicable legal body.
Just be sure to burn it when you finish. Otherwise some fundie might find it and try to apply it to their community.

It's mostly capitol punishment, usually by mob stoning, for doing anything weird or saying bad things about God.  It's stuff like the menstrual cleanliness laws that really make you stop and wonder how anyone actually sat down to decide the correct terms.  There's parts of it I have to admire though, like building a whole city for people who committed accidental manslaughter to hide from the family of their victims.  The Witness Protection Program, circa 1000BC I guess.

I think there's a loophole in Deuteronomy that permits lesbian relationships. See, the passage, if I remember it correctly, says something like "and you shall not uncover the nakedness of other men, for that is abomination". But nothing about other women. Ergo, loophole!

Also, my other favourite bit: "And you shall not eat of the creatures of the sea without fins or scales [molluscs, crustaceans] for that is abomination." Now, we apply the associative principle...

Homosexuality = Abomination
Clams = Abomination

therefore

Homsexuality = Clams.

It's things like this that make me wonder if most fundies have actually read the Old Testament properly.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:18 am »

Now, we apply the associative principle...

Homosexuality = Abomination
Clams = Abomination

therefore

Homsexuality = Clams.

It's things like this that make me wonder if most fundies have actually read the Old Testament properly.

Cute, but...

That's transitive, not associative.  :P

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2010, 01:12:36 am »

I ALMOST FAILED MATH IN HIGH SCHOOL OKAY? :'(

also I'm a lit major...

Bahaha, I probably should've googled the term before I used it.

"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:00 am »

Well, disregarding math (as I usually do) isn't there an appropriate logical fallacy? Cum hoc ergo propter hoc or somesuch? I never could remember those.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2010, 01:53:43 am »

Yeah, but I can't remember what it was called either.

Basically, it's like the "Hitler ate sugar, therefore sugar is evil", except without Hitler.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:33 am »

Funny story, Hitler was not an atheist but a Christian. The Church was heavily involved in the military and most of the equipment used by the Third Reich was blessed. They even went to battle wearing belts inscribed with 'GOD IS WITH US' and Hitler went on record stating he believed he was doing the Lords work.

So next time someone tries to claim Hitler was an Atheist and that's why you shouldn't be, kick them in the balls with HISTORICAL EVIDENCE.

Then actually kick them in the balls because they are a dick.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2010, 02:23:36 am »

In related news, I picked up a very nice annotated English-translation of the Qu'ran today, from a Islamic outreach symposium at my campus.  I'm a sucker for free literature and lemoncake.  I was able to make time to attend, because the class I was supposed to be in was canceled when the building caught fire.  I'm no spiritual authority, but I'm pretty sure that's a sign of something.

I have an English Qu'ran in the cupboard under my tv, perhaps I should read it?

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:09 am »

Yeah, if half of America thought like that . . . we'd probably be in such deep shit as would be unimaginable for anything better than an industrialized country.  By which I mean, we probably would have gone through such social de-evolution so as to totally maim industry as it exist in the modern era.

And we wouldn't be an influential world power, either.

Well... From my point of view, the USA is in a pretty hefty downfall, in terms of global importance. Popular media (meaning lowest common denominator media) here used to kinda like you guys in the 90ies, hated you completely during the Iraq thing, but now don't even really mention you other than to laugh at your political processes. You're kinda like a modern Byzantine empire or something now, stagnating and crumbling under your own politics and infighting.

I am aware that this assertion is based on almost no proof and could probably be discredited by a drunken child, but for now I feel like I can post it and not feel completely ashamed of myself. Yet.
Well, contrary to LegoLord's shallow comments:

The United States is the financial center of the world. That's not going to change in the next twenty-five to fifty years; the European Union doesn't have the capacity or the long-term track record to be a serious consideration as a reserve currency and there are no other significant potential choices. So long as everybody thinks in dollars--and unless the U.S. Government's T-bills go into junk-bond status (which is an event that would make the recession of the last two fiscal years look like the Good Times), it will remain that way for some time. And if it did go into junk-bond status, creditors would begin forgiving the bonds in a really neat way that allows for a recovery while hurting everybody else way more if they tried to stop using the dollar for reserve, so nobody will do that. It's a slick setup--because the biggest creditors to the U.S. Government are the U.S. Government.

Outside of finance--how about consumer-facing business? McDonald's? Disney? And the Internet boom happened in the United States for the most part. Google. Amazon. PayPal and eBay. Facebook (and many of the smaller social networking sites that are traditionally group-related, i.e., HUEHUEHUE and the Google-owned Orkut). There are national and regional alternatives in most markets for sure, but the dominant force in market shaping is American.

Culturally? American movies are still The Export to more nations than not, although some international factors are making smallish inroads. American-pushed music has never been the dominant force American movies have been, but it is still a substantial international player despite putting out reams of absolute shit for decades.

The United States is an unparalleled military superpower. Nobody will surpass our air or naval capabilities in the next fifty years: our current fleet of Nimitz-class supercarriers--incidentially, we have eleven supercarriers, the rest of the world has zero; the QE class the British Navy is developing is only slightly more than half the size of modern Gerald R. Ford-class supercarriers and while is in the same size consideration as the Kitty Hawk and the Enterprise, the loadout is rather small for the size.

In the longer term, it's still unlikely that anyone will present a credible naval threat. This lack of a threat is in large part because the Nimitz boats were built for a minimum service life of fifty years, with electronics and gear upgrades--we build ships well. The Enterprise was built in 1961 and is still ticking along nicely in service; the Kitty Hawk, despite being well known as the Shitty Kitty, was only decommissioned last year and still pulled decent service marks the whole way. As far as air combat goes, we're still the center of development for modern aviation--nobody's got anything, or the capability to build anything, on par with the F-22 and you'll notice that everybody who needs a first-line modern fighter is placing orders for the F-35 (both because the Raptor is expensive to operate and we probably wouldn't sell them any anyway--the projected kill effect of our current F-22 fleet is obscene). There are no other fifth-generation fighters in production; the Russia Sukhoi T-50 is having problems and is, by most accounts, likely to be inferior-but-cheaper than the Lightning II, while the Shenyang is not even close to a maiden flight and there are serious concerns about their ability to actually field the thing.

We lack boots-on-the-ground manpower, which is being exposed painfully in Iraq and Afghanistan, but competent foreign policy would allow leverage of the areas where nobody in the world is even in the conversation. We're working on that.

As alluded to above with regards to military technology--we're still the primary mover in countless sectors of scientific and technological advancement. The technology that powers your computer was either designed in the United States or under the purview of American companies working in other countries (Israel and Costa Rica being two of the biggest, for various reasons). Telecommunications technology is essentially an American business (if you're not using Cisco, you're immediately in question). Software? Every major operating system is either written directly by companies based in the U.S. (Microsoft, Apple, IBM, HP) or, in the case of open source OSes, are largely contributed to by American companies and organizations (Linux Foundation, Red Hat, Novell--don't say Canonical, folks, they don't do much dev). While we don't do a hell of a lot of manufacturing here anymore (unfortunately), a great deal of the technology and improvements in industrial gear originates here, too. And medical tech is dominated overwhelmingly by American interests; five of the ten largest pharmaceutical companies in the world are headquartered in the United States, and at least three others (GSK, Bayer, and AstraZeneca) have massive American operations that greatly influence their business strategy.

Your assessment of media coverage regarding the United States reveals a problem in their coverage or your understanding of it that is not reflective of reality: "infighting" is in no way new to the United States--it's kind of how we've always worked. American politics are getting more publicized--I'd hesitate to say they're meaningfully worse, as Stupid Obstructionism is kind of a time-honored tactic. General agreement and polite reasoned politics are not our thing. We have a nice president named Andrew Jackson and--oh--a civil war that kind of indicate that. Your own country's coverage of America does not change America's status; it indicates the understanding your media possesses and/or wishes to present.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2010, 03:30:22 am »

I was more pissed at the claim that any race is 'inferior'. He was probably just looking for attention though.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2010, 04:35:06 am »

I was more pissed at calling USAians a race.
The indigenous population, maybe, but they're hardly to blame for the current economic crisis, afaik ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2010, 04:37:35 am »

Yes they are.

See, if they hadn't lost against the colonists, then the USA wouldn't exist. Then it wouldn't be having an economic crisis at all. See? Logical!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:45 am »

You're right! It's all THEIR fault!
Let's kill them all! Take their land! Burn their villag... oh wait we already did that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:57 am »

Ew, who left that giant textwall in the humor thread?

I think there's a loophole in Deuteronomy that permits lesbian relationships. See, the passage, if I remember it correctly, says something like "and you shall not uncover the nakedness of other men, for that is abomination". But nothing about other women. Ergo, loophole!

Everyone knows gay mansex is nasty; everyone knows lesbian sex is awwwriiight.  Goes all the way back to Galilee apparently.

The Church was heavily involved in the military and most of the equipment used by the Third Reich was blessed. They even went to battle wearing belts inscribed with 'GOD IS WITH US'...

If Stalingrad is to be believed, no small number of German soldiers were completely unaware of this.  When was the last time you actually read all the crap printed on your clothes?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13