Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Ignornce is Strenght  (Read 41398 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Ignornce is Strenght
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:22 am »

I have no clue. Its meaning is beyond me.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2010, 05:52:23 am »

Nah, your evilness/awesomeness/goodness/powerfulness is dictated by the amount of crowns you can fit on one head, similar to hats or pauldrons.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2010, 05:54:45 am »

By that metric, Satan's actually less evil that some commissars. He's got a 10:7 hat-to-head ratio, whereas most of them have a 10:1!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2010, 08:59:17 am »

Blacken - Fair enough, there were plenty of things I hadn't considered, as I expected, as I didn't put a whole lot of thought into the matter and I'm not keen on doing political research (both my house mates work at state treasury and I'm a whore for live radio feeds of federal parliment, I'm freakin' sick of hearing about the asnine crap that goes on in Australian and international politics, would kill myself or others if I had to actually get in-depth). Nonetheless, I do have a couple of counterpoints to the ones you raised. Given the increasingly international nature of corporations, the increasing irrelevance of millitary hardware, the rising economic power of a certain couple of Asian countries/EU and the sharp decline of positive exported culture, I'm still of the opinion that the USA superpower isn't likely to be 'the' superpower much longer.

Before you get all huffy over my apparent ignoring of your well-written points about the millitary and culture -

Large conventional armies aren't really much use anymore, say all you want about how great supercarrier groups are or how tough the M1A1 is or how super-effective superfighters are, the fact of the matter is that they're all pretty worthless in the event of a nuclear war (MAD doctrine is called such for a reason, after all - fleets aren't much use if home is a burning wasteland) and the era of large scale conventional combat is pretty well over thanks to the nuclear stockpiles built up around important parts of the world. The last 60 years have pretty much been spent on policing actions and kicking the crap out of countries with armies so poorly organised as to barely deserve the name. The few major invasions undertaken by western armies since the Korean war have pretty much (besides being almost entirely avoidable and voluntary exercises by the invading governments) exclusively ended in failure when it comes to their original objectives, not because the military was incapable of physically achieving victory in conventional combat but because... well, they were *only* capable of achieving victory in conventional combat. You just can't win by shooting shit anymore, politics and perceptions are about the only things relevant in the big picture when undertaking policing actions. F-35s don't win wars. Granted, it's taking quite some time for people to catch on and in the meantime the USA is still getting pretty good contracts to build 'em. Just saying, using an argument of military superiority is pretty flawed, given modern history.

As for culturally in the context of media - that's also entirely relevant. Because Australia is a democracy, our politicians will pretty much only do what gets them brownie points with the faceless masses. The faceless masses tend to just go with the flow of hearsay and themes, usually provided in the form of popular media like movies and the evening news. It used to be a rather sad little undercurrent of a message about how great it is to try and emulate our bestest English-speaking friends, the USA or that you guys were our brothers in spirit or some overly simplistic crap like that (Yeah, I'm also simplifying it further and making it all rather stupid, I know). However, with that message gone, the whole invasions thing, your fantastically retarded sounding public political discourse and a Prime Minister in office who is busy trying to suck up to countries that aren't the US, the undercurrent of anti-Americanism is free to prosper. Of course, while only a marginal effect, a country that used to spend its diplomatic efforts trying to become bum-buddies with the USA is now pretty well indifferent, which I'd say is a major deal. Especially as we aren't the only one. After all, my entire direction here is about perceptions, because perceptions and images are what condition people's actions towards things, and people's actions have a tendency to push the reality of a situation towards their preconceptions. That may come in the form of poorer sales for Corporations that identify as American (prompting further internationalism), more business taken to other hubs and economies, public outcry should our government decide to spend money helping you guys out of some crisis in the future... plenty of actions could be influenced by perception.

I'd better stop typing now. It's very late and I'm not entirely certain I'm writing anything that's even vaguely useful to any argument anywhere. There's bound to be dozens of logical potholes in this completely speculative little theory I have going. So, sorry if I've managed to write complete shit, feel free to post counter-arguments. I like learning. Also screw you guys who hate long posts, they're what make threads worthwhile, one-liners get boring after a couple of pages :p
I'm Mr. Cellophane

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2010, 09:13:14 am »

Ignore this post just making it so I remember to look at this thread when I get home. I hate White Southern Christians, nothing makes me want to kill harmless babies like them( and Dwarf Fortress)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:40 am »

Guys, what the shit, this is a humor thread. Stop with the textwalls.

I was just reading the description of the Orc race on World of Warcraft's website, and it's pretty clear that they represent blacks. Check it:

The savage, green-skinned Orcs are one of the most prolific races of Azeroth. They are commonly believed to be brutal and mindless, possessing no humanity or empathy for other races. Born on the hellish world of Draenor, the Orcs were brought into the kingdom of Stormwind through the dimensional gateway known as the Dark Portal and forced to wage war on the Humans. Although few are aware of their history, the Orcs once cultivated a noble, Shamanistic society on the world of Draenor. Tragically, the proud Orc clans were corrupted by the Burning Legion and used as pawns in the Legion's invasion of Azeroth. The Orcs managed to rebel, however, and they were ultimately able to help turn the tide against their demon masters. Led by the young Warchief, Thrall, the Orcs have reclaimed their strength and honor. Now, the Orcs stand ready to fight not for the sake of conquest, but for their right to survive in their adopted world.

Now change it around a bit to make it fit our world:

The savage, black-skinned Blacks are one of the most prolific races of Earth. They are commonly believed to be brutal and mindless, possessing no humanity or empathy for other races. Born on the hellish continent of Africa, the blacks were brought into the country of America through the water passage known as the Atlantic Ocean and forced to pick cotton for the Humans. Although few are aware of their history, the Blacks once cultivated a noble, Shamanistic society on the continent of Africa. Tragically, the proud Black clans were corrupted by the Jewish slave boat owners and used as pawns in the Jews' invasion of America. The Blacks managed to rebel, however, and they were ultimately able to help turn the tide against their White slave masters. Led by the young Warchief, Martin Luther King Jr., the Blacks have reclaimed their strength and honor. Now, the Blacks stand ready to fight not for the sake of conquest, but for their right to survive in their adopted world, unknowingly doing the Jew's bidding

He thinks blacks were a major force in the civil war and that Jews command the USA.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:16 am »

That's... sad. Just real sad.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »

:(
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:25 pm »

lulz. I mean it's kind of right minus the Jew part. Well I always thought that the trolls were the blacks
Guys, what the shit, this is a humor thread. Stop with the textwalls.

I was just reading the description of the Orc race on World of Warcraft's website, and it's pretty clear that they represent blacks. Check it:

The savage, green-skinned Orcs are one of the most prolific races of Azeroth. They are commonly believed to be brutal and mindless, possessing no humanity or empathy for other races. Born on the hellish world of Draenor, the Orcs were brought into the kingdom of Stormwind through the dimensional gateway known as the Dark Portal and forced to wage war on the Humans. Although few are aware of their history, the Orcs once cultivated a noble, Shamanistic society on the world of Draenor. Tragically, the proud Orc clans were corrupted by the Burning Legion and used as pawns in the Legion's invasion of Azeroth. The Orcs managed to rebel, however, and they were ultimately able to help turn the tide against their demon masters. Led by the young Warchief, Thrall, the Orcs have reclaimed their strength and honor. Now, the Orcs stand ready to fight not for the sake of conquest, but for their right to survive in their adopted world.

Now change it around a bit to make it fit our world:

The savage, black-skinned Blacks are one of the most prolific races of Earth. They are commonly believed to be brutal and mindless, possessing no humanity or empathy for other races. Born on the hellish continent of Africa, the blacks were brought into the country of America through the water passage known as the Atlantic Ocean and forced to pick cotton for the Humans. Although few are aware of their history, the Blacks once cultivated a noble, Shamanistic society on the continent of Africa. Tragically, the proud Black clans were corrupted by the Jewish slave boat owners and used as pawns in the Jews' invasion of America. The Blacks managed to rebel, however, and they were ultimately able to help turn the tide against their White slave masters. Led by the young Warchief, Martin Luther King Jr., the Blacks have reclaimed their strength and honor. Now, the Blacks stand ready to fight not for the sake of conquest, but for their right to survive in their adopted world, unknowingly doing the Jew's bidding

He thinks blacks were a major force in the civil war and that Jews command the USA.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »

Everyone thinks that.  For all the white-supremacy among the conspiracy theorist crowd, you'd think they'd take a little more pride and acknowledgment in having having ruled the world for 500 years.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole concept of Rapture. (No, not the awesome city from the awesome game.) I read that Rapture isn't even in the Bible! Where the hell did they pull that piece of poop out of?

Here's an excellent illustrated primer from 1974 (in comic form), which also tells you where it came from.  Sure, Wikipedia would have you believe that the concept of the Rapture (good people vanish, 100-year reign of darkness, etc.) has been around for centuries, but the idea as everyone knows it now is considerably more recent.  A numerologist crackpot named John Walvoord got into glue-sniffing in the 1950s and wrote a bunch of books detailing his journeys through the biblical end-times prophesies.  It came out right around the mega-churchy Christian revival in America in the 60s and 70s, inspiring comic writers, evangelists, George W. Bush, the authors of that Left Behind rag series, and no small number of after-school program directors.

John Walvoord taught and served at the Dallas Theological Seminary, so that's another thing you can blame Texas for.  For all the Raptureites you'll find in Texas, you'd think he'd be a little more famous around here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »

My parents wouldn't let me read the kids Left Behind series because they didn't believe in the Rapture.  I'm suspecting I lucked out there.
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

My parents wouldn't let me read the kids Left Behind series because they didn't believe in the Rapture.  I'm suspecting I lucked out there.
Now that I think about it, those books may have helped make me an atheist. Aside from that, they were so mind numbingly long and boring, I couldn't stand to read them any more. It took them 3 books to even drop the first nuke, and by then I had become just plain bored with the whole thing. This from someone who at around the same age (middle school) was reading books tomes about relativistic physics.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

OH LAWDY. It's THAT recent?! FFFUUUUUUUUU
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:06 pm »

Oh boy.

That means Scientology is older than the Rapture. OH NO.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2010, 08:32:00 pm »

Yeesh. That's sad.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13