Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i keep the stuff safe after fortress abandonning?  (Read 1243 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i keep the stuff safe after fortress abandonning?
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »

Subj. I mean, of course, not ALL the stuff, the huge plan is to forge some really cool weapons&armors (best to have an artifacts of course :))  to use them later in adventure mod.
Is that just matter of luck? Or if i place my stuff in lever-only opening chamber (someway, floodgate, or cave-in, or something) it will be safe?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do i keep the stuff safe after fortress abandonning?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »

Put them in leaden bins. Or other bins made from a really heavy material. It's said that they will scatter less when abandoning. Another thing I've heard is that items that are in the depot upon abandonment will remain there. I've never tried any of these methods. I've just read about people applying them.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »

Putting stuff behind locked doors will not work, but putting as many objects as possible in a lead bin should work, try putting some lead hammers with your artifact sword to make the bin heavier.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:45 pm »

I've had great success storing adamantine items in gold bins before abandoning.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

make alot of what you want xD
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »

Wall it in, and use a cave-in to open it. It's really the only way to keep stuff truly safe.
That <redacted> warhammer will be worth it.
And yeah, do we still use spoilers for <redacted> or is it just the material name?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:31:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure stuff that gets dumped in a river or otherwise made inaccessible stays where it is. A couple of my fortresses have been set up so that if the situation became untenable, I could flood the corridors and leave everything in place for the reclaim party, but I never managed to test these.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:31:42 pm »

I've had great success storing adamantine items in gold bins before abandoning.

I had an adamantine mail shirt(all by itself) in a lead bin. It didn't move an inch.

I also had 4 adamantine weapons(two shortswords, two battleaxes) in another lead bin that didn't move.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.