Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Make dwarves take up a family name when married....  (Read 3873 times)

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make dwarves take up a family name when married....
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:56:13 pm »

How about using the 2 part surnames and combining the names of the parents? This would keep names original but allow you to recognize who is related to who.
Urist McBurningBeard and Urist McBeerBelly could make Urist McBurningBelly or Urist McBeerBeard

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »

I already think of the dwarves as having family/clan names first - since the "first" names are all common, and the "last" names are all unique, when I see Cog Stonelaces it makes sense to me that Cog is his clan/family and Stonelaces is his given name.

This just seems very dwarfy to me personally.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 03:46:02 pm »

The current problem with this right now is that dwarf civs (for example) would have at most 10 different surnames (not counting the fortress mode immigrants who appear out of thin air) since they would all be decended from the intial 10 families.

I see this as a good thing, not a problem. I like the idea of dwarf "clans", big families of shared ancestry from the forefathers(and mothers) of a fortress. And immigrants will of course bring new blood.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:12:22 pm »

I like the tag ideas. 

I think we've already seen that behaviour tags should be supported in race (default) and civ (overwrites racial default).  At least that was the plan for the future that I took away from the previous nurture vs nature conversations.

Don't forget the Russian [Patronimic] system, which is pretty cool.

Finally...  Character names are often conglamerations of words in that language, no?  So conquerred peoples could change their names to the language of the conquers.  So the translation would still be the same, but the wording would be different.  This would be especially cool if only some of the words translated.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 05:03:51 pm »

Another way to expand out on the various surnames would be to allow dwarves who get to legendary (or maybe just create artifacts) replace their last name with something related. So, if a dwarf created an artifact iron mace, he could become Urist IronMace. Or something like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »

Sir, your powers of necromancy are staggering.

Also, it would be cool if a dwarven wife took her husband's name or vice-versa. But to add variance, how would that work? Also, could the children have patrynomics or matrynomics? For example, in the Iliad Achilles' surname could very well be Peleides (son of Peleus) the same way Zeus is sometimes surnamed Cronides (son of Cronus).
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 04:41:01 pm »

Children always take up the last name of the father. This is to assure the father of paternity, especially in cases where it's in question. There were some studies on the matter. There's no reason to believe other species would differ

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 07:55:14 pm »

Children always take up the last name of the father. This is to assure the father of paternity, especially in cases where it's in question. There were some studies on the matter. There's no reason to believe other species would differ

Or that they would be the same.  :P  What is most likely or most rational is not always what always is.  Yeah, that sentence makes sense.

Patronyms and matronyms should definitely be implemented, as a cultural preference or something, and some should abandon their family name, take another name, or take their other parent's name for plottish reasons.  Lots could be done with this, assuming Toady finds a way to motivate all the unique cases.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 10:38:03 pm »

We have been assuming that a dwarf's last name is his family name, but they could have their family name first like Chinese names.

Personally I like this a lot, for some reason.  So "Urist" would be more like "Smith" instead of like "John", would it not?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 07:11:41 am »

I just wanted to point out that this particular subforum contains many people who shit a brick if someone does necro, but also if he or she doesn't necro but rather makes a new post.

Every time someone suggests guns, 20 pages of "zOMg it r been sUGGESTED b4!!!11!1" insta-spawns directly after.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:55 am »

No, that's just the resident gurus.

I don't worry about it, I just think necroing is funny.

Anyway, how about a clan name before or after the surname? For example, we currently have dwarves named things like Urist Smith. You could add a clan name, so Urist Smith would become Urist Johnson Smith, or something of that sort. It keeps things within a family.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 09:27:38 am »

I just wanted to point out that this particular subforum contains many people who shit a brick if someone does necro, but also if he or she doesn't necro but rather makes a new post.

Every time someone suggests guns, 20 pages of "zOMg it r been sUGGESTED b4!!!11!1" insta-spawns directly after.

In all fairness naming conventions is a good place to necro.  People have done a LOT of work compiling the naming conventions of different cultures.  It's not fair to them if their labors don't get brought up as a precursor to any further discussion.

Sure, you don't need to read 'the great list of every family name schema ever' in order to suggest 'Hey, we should use family names!', but if you're going to actually talk about it depth... know that it's been compiled.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 04:52:57 pm »

That was actually my point, Granite26.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 01:36:08 am »

Naming conventions? I'm all for it. Taggable? Definitely. Init to turn it off? Absolutely.

But you know what this game really needs? Family trees anvils.
Pages: 1 [2] 3