Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cannot find path?? Dying dwarfs  (Read 1227 times)

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vancocomputing.net
cannot find path?? Dying dwarfs
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:50:37 am »

OK so I found a massive underground cave system and pit. Now some of my dwarfs are getting lost and are starving to death. I tried carving a new path down there to bypass some of the more complex windings of the caves but it's not helping. From what I've read this may or may not be a bug.

Any suggestion on how/if I can fix this? I'd like to get the spider silk down there and rescue my legendary miner.

Somehow one of my dwarfs slipped on the way downstairs (staircase is in the air as I only lit one pillar on the way down) and made a nice large red splash :) Collided with an object LOL

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cannot find path?? Dying dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:44 am »

Quick update. My miner finally made it upstairs to the booze but can't find a path to the food 3 squares away. That just doesn't make sense.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:56:01 am »

Which version are you using? A whole bunch of pathing issues were fixed in 31.03

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

What version are you using?  If you're still using 31.01 there's some bad pathing bugs in there, pathing is much saner in 31.03.  You can often force a pathing update by locking then unlocking a door.  Also, saving and reloading will temporarily fix pathing too.

If you're already using 31.03 be sure to post this to the bug mantis, since we thought this got fixed already.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:18 am »

nm, unneccesary post.....

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

Sorry all, that's important info to miss!

I am running 31.03. Plus it looks like it's only happened to *two* dwarfs.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:06:44 pm »

Upload that save somewhere and post to the mantis please!  If the pathing bug's not dead yet it's important Toady gets to see it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »

Well, the majority of the pathing issues were fixed, theres still a couple cropping up, mainly having to do with certain situations I think.

Try observing some of your dwarves if they go down there and if it happens again, definetly make a report on the bugtracker.

Given that UG trees start growing like crazy once you reveal the caverns, there is a possibility that a tree grew and blocked a pathway.

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:00 pm »

I'm posting it to Mantis now. So far it has only happened to two dwarfs, and my minor just died of starvation. I will keep and eye on it and update the bug track as needed. I know that trees haven't blocked the paths, as one comes right out of the air (staircase) with 8 free tiles around it and the second one is a 3 square tunnel. I will keep an eye out for that though, thanks!

Perhaps on a similar note, some dwarfs are complaining of hunger/starvation even though I have plenty of food, cooked or otherwise, in multiple locations. Any ideas on why this might be happening?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:17:37 pm by svancouw »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »

On the Mantis bug site I posted a pathfinding bug in 31.03 and I think there is another one posted also.  Mine had to do with complaints from weavers who were unable to find paths to webs in caverns which had been breached by up-down stairwells.

Edit:  I did have a mason who appeared to have gotten inexplicably stuck in a cavern he had walked into, but it turned out that a tree had grown up and blocked the single-tile tunnel.  Once that was chopped down, he was able to rejoin the rest of the fortress,
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:19:56 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:32 pm »

Perhaps on a similar note, some dwarfs are complaining of hunger/starvation even though I have plenty of food, cooked or otherwise, in multiple locations. Any ideas on why this might be happening?
Might be related to the dwarven overwork thing, where dwarves will work past the point of 'hungry. or just more bad pathfinding.

sybrid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:46:10 am »

After breaching the underground cavern, I'm starting to run into this problem as well.  I'm not so bothered by the dwarf who is now certain they have no path to silk despite there being obvious paths to silk, but the ones who can't find their way to food are more troublesome.  I've got a guy standing in the food stockpile, standing in a square with a barrel full of meals, claiming he can't find a path from where he is to food.  Also running 31.03.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »

Have you exitted the game, shut down dwarf fortress, and then started it back up? I've seen the "temporary cache pathfinding bug" in 31.03, so that bug is still present, but is easily worked around (ie, save the fortress, shut down DF, then start it up again, load your fortress, pathfinding works properly again.)
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

sybrid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:12:39 am »

Yes, I have saved, shut down DF, started it back up, and the dwarves who were affected remained affected by pathfinding errors.