Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: World interaction  (Read 3499 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: World interaction
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:00 pm »

Sweet!  Patience has carried me since the 2D builds, so shall it carry me to the days of nomadic raiding camps.  :D

I think if we truly get the capacity to have fortress mode size fortresses made in adventure mode thats going to bring the immersion to unbelievable levels. I mean, people get attached to their dwarves as it is but imagine recruiting each of your workers personally, imagine starting out with nothing and working your way to a massive fortress with your own two hands, imagine staring out across your kingdom after countless years of work, a kingdom that you made for yourself. Imagine participating in all those wars, all those sieges, being a battle hardened, scarred warrior god among men.

It's basically heroic fantasy to the nth degree.

Gives me that strange, warm feeling of accomplishment just thinking about it. And the player should definitely be able to recruit a ragtag band of buffoons from any civ, create in them a cult-like following, and turn that loyalty into the labor to forge a civilization, then, when you finally die, you have the option to take over as one of your children (or some other important member) and then fight for the right to the throne.

It would also be nice, accompanying this, if world gen never truly ends, and shit still happens beyond what the player's hands wrought, this way, the player doesn't have to build each of the settlements in his civ by hand. Set out, conquer the globe for all mankind, or midgetkind, as the case may be for the other 4.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:18:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »

You know what else I find exciting? When we'll be able to have wars and stuff. I can imagine looting battlefields, and making bandit hordes to prey on travelers. That would be boss.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »

That is a pretty powerful thought. Though... thinking on it? Child armies. Go pied piper and conscript the youth of a few civilizations, then lead your barely pubescent hoard in a fury of conquest and destruction.

And once mounts get in? Especially if FBs can be roped? Oh gods. Kobold children riding thirty foot disease-spewing lovecraftian monstrosities, claiming their parents lands as their own.

Then you go and start up the same process on the other side of the continent, only with the elderly. Generation wars is go!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:59 pm »

Oh god, that'd be awesome.

Also, I can imagine making an army of bandits that eventually lead a coup to overthrow the kingdom. That would be a CMOA to top it all off.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 02:12:49 am »

Become lord of the cave swallowmen, who live 50zlvls down in the earth and prey off the other life forms in the area.
Digging out a giant cave, and creating tunnels to dwarf fortresses, then raiding them for their riches and lands...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 02:45:29 am »

this is mostly the reason why I can't enjoy 31.01-3, the lacking ability to teach an child how to fight... wait I could had done that in 40d16 with olon toolpalaces (since I already had her recruited to her mother so the military position prevention of joining won't apply.) it would had been a much safer way than fighting wolves.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 04:08:06 am »

Hopefully military does finish first. Before the site update, i could've sworn he's finishing the military arc first and foremost. When he does, i'll train up scouts to keep random attacks away. And hopefully he adds a SPO-- nvm, we got the Observer skill to stop ambushers. And when they finally go to get food, yeah. I also want to finally move them EXACTLY on a single station spot, and then i'd have guards guarding the main entrances, making them champions, then when someone tries to get in via sneak, they instantly see, and kill. Not only that, prepare militia to rip apart their base, about 4 squads, with 2 marksdwarves at least.

Now as for adventurer skills... YES, YES! RIGHT NOW! I wanna finally be able to dig, butcher, and actually do certain stuff here and there.

With all the updates i've seen, i'm happy with adventurer skills, and the ability to make your military work on areas other than the map your fortress stays in. Not to mention finally fixing the hunting. And i'm hoping he didn't lose all the bloats and such from his old site. Would've been nice to relook at all of them plans he had so far.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 01:32:23 pm »

Become lord of the cave swallowmen, who live 50zlvls down in the earth and prey off the other life forms in the area.
Digging out a giant cave, and creating tunnels to dwarf fortresses, then raiding them for their riches and lands...

Best would be creating three or four great fortresses open to the depths, and then leading the cave swallowman horde to conquer all of them from below.

I can imagine the great aerial battles between the subterranean sky scrapers, or under stalactite apartments, between swallowman champions and conscripted marksdwarves, while the adventurer faces off in a duel against the former expedition leader, now become the fort's king.

It would require the ability for forts to continue after "abandonment" though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:34:02 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »

Best would be creating three or four great fortresses open to the depths, and then leading the cave swallowman horde to conquer all of them from below.

I can imagine the great aerial battles between the subterranean sky scrapers, or under stalactite apartments, between swallowman champions and conscripted marksdwarves, while the adventurer faces off in a duel against the former expedition leader, now become the fort's king.

It would require the ability for forts to continue after "abandonment" though.
Strafing Markswallowmen with crossbows using Giant Cave spider venom tipped bolts.
That is win.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:55 pm »

Recruit everyone you can find into your army. Every last dwarf, human, elf, goblin, and cave tribe. Tame all animals you can. then draw the sword, and build the soon to be legendary capital of your grand new unified civilization...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:19 am »

fun stuff
I second this. The epic proportions of such a battle would be...well, epic. And actually gives Adventure a pretty cool "target".
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 2 [3]