Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: World interaction  (Read 3504 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World interaction
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:09:26 am »

I only just started getting into adventure mode. I'm curious if Toady has given us much of a timeframe on when it'll be possible to interact with the world in some of the elementary ways we're used to - digging through sand, manually  operating a pump, gathering herbs... I understand eventually our adventurers are supposed to be able to do the same things fortress dwarves can, right?

I really want that :P
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: World interaction
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:23 am »

I only just started getting into adventure mode. I'm curious if Toady has given us much of a timeframe on when it'll be possible to interact with the world in some of the elementary ways we're used to - digging through sand, manually  operating a pump, gathering herbs... I understand eventually our adventurers are supposed to be able to do the same things fortress dwarves can, right?

supposedly the next things up in the release schedule (after all the bug fixing) are adventurer skills

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »

Mining would be especially useful. All those gems and ores I walk by on my way to slaughter towns and start wars... and not to mention going to a fort and not being able to manufacture the goods I desire.

It'd be great if it created a site file for the ones you did such things to aswell.

Another suggestion, take it as related or not, is to have a way for the player to drop and take up control of a site without it being truly abandoned, so that the dwarves still own it and you can visit your fort in adventure mode with some form of population that doesn't want to murder you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »

Another suggestion, take it as related or not, is to have a way for the player to drop and take up control of a site without it being truly abandoned, so that the dwarves still own it and you can visit your fort in adventure mode with some form of population that doesn't want to murder you.
I'd like this too. Even if all my dwarves do is mull around when I get back there as an adventurer.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:21:23 am »

Yeah, I can't wait for this. I'm gonna do an LP of a single man/woman/elf/dwarf, struggling to survive in the ruins of a once mighty fortress that has crumbled into anonymity...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:04:38 am »

I personally can't wait for it. Being a warrior blacksmith (with a self-made log cabin somewhere in slipperyfish or some random region name), with herbalist skills, tamed hawks, a legion of followers...and also able to make delicious wild strawberry pancakes and kickass squirrel chile, is my DF dream.
Also having negotiation skills or such to make more interesting conversations would be incredible.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:16:05 am »

I can't wait for this either. I want to forge my own equipment [*please*!] and/or be a hermit living in a former fortress/cave/dugout/trench/cottage.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

It WOULD be awesome to dig out a small cavr for you to live in, or dig to the !!clowns!!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:09 am »

Heh, I wonder how farming would work. It would take forever to grow, and we can't just sleep and sleep until its done...
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:44:08 am »

I think certain jobs should be restricted to different adventurers. IE, only dwarves can mine, elves can't cut down trees, etc. It'd give different reasons to play different races, especially now that everyone can wield the same weapons.

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »

Heh, I wonder how farming would work. It would take forever to grow, and we can't just sleep and sleep until its done...

Of course not! Mines need digging, metal needs forging, traps need setting, crafts need... er... crafting.

I doubt traders will pass up making easy profit from a lone, crazy dwarf. Or invaders ignore an easy target.
[pizza=omnomnom]

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »

I hadn't thought about invaders. If you make a house out in the wilderness with lots of loot, would anyone else know about it? Could you still go out on adventures or wouldn't you have to guard it for eternity, or else get all of your stuff taken?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »

I hadn't thought about invaders. If you make a house out in the wilderness with lots of loot, would anyone else know about it? Could you still go out on adventures or wouldn't you have to guard it for eternity, or else get all of your stuff taken?
I'd make a complicated lever-drawbridge system to keep them out. Something like, it can't be opened unless you climb the outside, jump into the courtyard, drain the moat with one lever, climb into the moat through another lever-operated entrance, go into an underground now-drained cavern, and lower the lever for the drawbridge.

Not likely to get solved by random leverpulling monsters if they even get in. Also fun.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

supposedly the next things up in the release schedule (after all the bug fixing) are adventurer skills
A possible shelter might also be available.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:40 pm »

I would also like to be able to butcher dead animals. MOAR FOODZ NAO
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: [1] 2 3