Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary beasts\animals  (Read 1384 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary beasts\animals
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

It would be interesting if there were 'legendary' beasts and animals the would show up on the fortress map from time to time, and perhaps a chance to show up in ambushes and abandoned fortresses in adventure mode.

So what is a Legendary beast?

As it stands in the current game, creatures get more powerful as they kill your dwarves. I think it is a good principle, but rarely do any of them manage to actually become a real threat; unless they are a map feature creature they will inevitably wander off the map long before killing enough dwarves to be dangerous, and if they are a map feature creature the chances of them getting killed by your retributive dwarves are also pretty high.

So my proposal is this: every once in awhile, be it every couple of seasons, every year, or every couple of years, a 'legendary' animal shows up on the map. A legendary animal would be one that comes with a name and already has boosted stats when it enters the map, and is much more aggressive and far more likely to actively seek out and attack your dwarves. They could vary in frequency and power.

'uncommon' animals with only slight boosts and no names could show up every season, as pack leaders or as an extra variety to the otherwise uniform large predators.
'rare' animals with moderate boosts and short names could show up somewhere around once every year or every other year; these would also be slightly more aggressive than your standard animal.
'ultrarare' animals could show up every couple years; these would be powerful animals, the 'kings of the jungle', paragons of their species. They would have long names, large boosts to their power, and be very aggressive.
'legendary' animals would show up very rarely, probably something to the tune of megabeasts. These are truly epic creatures of legend; they are the Fenrirs, the Jormungadrs. The stat boosts would allow the more powerful animals to surpass the base megabeast template in power, and potentially surpass megabeasts, if the animal template is really powerful. Legendary Skeletal Sea Serpent anyone? they would have a full name and be megabeast-like in their aggression.

As it stands animals are only a real threat to the fort early on, this idea is to add a bit more potential for damage from them. I also really like the idea of having legendary animals, as they exist extensively in both modern and ancient fiction. They wouldn't need to be part of world gen, they could simply be randomly generated when they show up on the map, given a generic history entry "soandso terrorized the countryside of (insert biome(s) here) from year x to year x"  and allowed to do their thing.

It would be a nice way of adding a moderate threat increase to an otherwise quickly obsoleted danger, one that is below existant threats (with megabeasts powering up during world gen now) but a little more common.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary beasts\animals
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

just had an idea based on this.

what if we had a scholar dwarf whose sole occupation was to study history, and the better he got the more information would you have on these legendary creatures.
im for giving subtle hints on what kind of power you are up against, but showing how agile/strong/tough in the stats window would kill a bit of the excitement.
the scholar would give information on where these creatures had appeared, and how many people/soldiers/champions it had killed. then based on this information you could asses the strength of the beast. of course the scholar could be used for other things as well.
if your scholar was bad at his job he would give an estimate on how many people the creature had killed, but a good and hard working scholar would know about all beasts and their exploits

EDIT: Great idea btw ^^

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

It would be nice if your fortress animals could gain legendary status as well (and not just names as they do now). They would also frighten those invaders who heard of them.

Random Goblin 1 : "Look out! It's Battleteeth the Legendary Seal of Slaying, we are doomed! Run!!"
Random Goblin 2 : "It's just a rabbit. I'll make some stew o-" *munching sounds*.

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

I object to this idea principly on the grounds that it goes against the primary goal of DF-- to be a fantasy WORLD simulator.  So, no generating random legendary animals out of thin air to appear at your fortress.

On the other hand, having animals moving about the world, some of which might kill people elsewhere, gain a name, and then show up at your door during its wanderings of the world?  That works for me.

Having your local legendary beasts wander away and terrorize others (possibly gaining MORE stats in the process) only to return a year later?  That also works for me.

Random does not.  DF isn't about random.  The only random I want to see is with regards to the initial state of the world.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>I object to this idea principly on the grounds that it goes against the primary goal of DF-- to be a fantasy WORLD simulator.  So, no generating random legendary animals out of thin air to appear at your fortress.

On the other hand, having animals moving about the world, some of which might kill people elsewhere, gain a name, and then show up at your door during its wanderings of the world?  That works for me.

Having your local legendary beasts wander away and terrorize others (possibly gaining MORE stats in the process) only to return a year later?  That also works for me.

Random does not.  DF isn't about random.  The only random I want to see is with regards to the initial state of the world.</STRONG>

The reason I wrote random up there is because that is how I understand animals to be handled currently: they are randomly generated seasonally and are totally forgotten if they do not die or kill anything. If I'm wrong on this let me know

I have to disagree that DF shouldn't have any random elements to it; the skill system is just as random as any RPG, and many other systems invoke randomness as well. Ever savescum right after someone gets a mood? they don't make the same artifact twice. right before they get the mood? another dwarf gets it. savescum before the season starts and maybe there won't be a mood at all. The animals that come will be different, ambushers will be different... so many of the events that occur in a fortress are taken in the context of a die roll that I can't fathom a DF without any randomness in it.

That said I am all for more persistent legendary animals, should this seem like a good enough idea for the devs to consider. It was simply phrased as random to remain within my understanding of how animals work.

Someone wrote in one of these threads that ideas are not generated in a vacuum. So really the thoughts above are meant to be taken as brainstorming inspiration and less 'this is the template I think should go in'