Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Toady!!  (Read 2995 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Toady!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »

*flingifies the OP*

Give it time.  The military is, surprisingly, a fairly optional part of the game (like it has always been).  It's cool, and I'm waiting on it, but other things were absolutely more urgent, and I'm very, very happy to have this version.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:08 pm »

The new military has a very steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it works surprisingly well.

There are some bugs of course, but they are not show stoppers by any means.

I'm able to get my dorfs happily putting on their freshly forged steel plate, and then roaming my glacier, chopping at undead elks and goblin invaders, and chasing though failing to catch kobolds.

Kobolds can sure run fast!

When my dorfs are hungry or sleepy they head back to their barracks to freshen up and another one of the squad heads out to take his place in a nice rotation, keeping everyone happy.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:19 pm »

Seems like there are a lot more... pushy people on the forums lately.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »

Yeah, military only affects one method of gameplay.  Melting rain . . . more than one.  And don't say you can just hide underground, because there's no guarantee it won't be raining the moment you arrive, before any digging can be done.

I'm just glad I heard about it before encountering it so I could turn weather off.

And to be honest, I've only had a little trouble with military.  I know how it works now, so I can use it.  Already got me a good lasher with an artifact steel buckler and a bronze whip from the humans.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:21:40 pm »

Ah yes because the military is not a popular part of this game. No sir, not at all.

Its not a troll just because you disagree.

And seriously, its a shame. So much to kill, so little to kill it with...
Magma. Also, magma. And then you could try some magma with water on top.

And if that doesn't work, drop a cavern on it.

I mean, we all want the military fixed, but I think the majority of DFers only use the military as a backup. The true dwarven way is to wash the enemy aside in a tide of boiling rock.

Having my dwarves melt when the weather changes, or my adventurer's skin boil because he went for a swim - these are game breaking. Not having axedwarves, this is a nuisance. One I'd love fixed, but not a top priority for a couple more releases.
I guess I'm not in the majority, then. I use military over magma because especially with magma being hundreds of Z-Levels down now, military is much simpler, easier, and reusable than complex magma cannons and cave-in traps. Sure they can be fun, but they also take a lot of resources - resources I would rather spend building a tower out of solid gold, or making elaborately designed and decorated bedrooms(or catacombs, as the case may warrant).

I have a funny feeling that I'm not alone here.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »

I have to admit that I'd prefer to have the military fixed over the rain thing, but that's mainly because I haven't encountered that bug yet. :)

Anyway, I'm sure it's also a question of what can easily be fixed right away. I suspect that fixing the military might take some time.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 04:51:05 pm »

Most of the Mil stuff seems to work like someone said though it's a bit steeper of a learning curve than old Mil system.  I quite like it though and once the bugs are out it's gonna rock...like my other thread said..lol

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »

There's no way Toady could roll back the military because you need all the new functionality for later features.  There just needs to be some good default settings and bugsqaushing so that drafting someone into the military doesn't remind you of doing your taxes.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »

I've found far worse bugs than the Military and the Rain. I'd rather Toady fix what he can easily fix and move on to the next items. There are more than a few ways to kill invaders. My first playing with the Military was Hammerdwarves, and once I was done reclaiming the fortress after my experienced military were slaughtered, I was perfectly capable of finding non-military ways of defending this fortress. A good, working military WILL NOT SAVE YOU IN THE NEW VERSION!(Spoiler warning: HFS in the link)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's why my current Megaproject isn't a magma cannon,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:08:54 pm »

In case you don't know, Toady has already fixed the melting rain. It is mentioned in both Devlog and Mantis.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:43 pm »

I have to admit that I'd prefer to have the military fixed over the rain thing, but that's mainly because I haven't encountered that bug yet. :)

Anyway, I'm sure it's also a question of what can easily be fixed right away. I suspect that fixing the military might take some time.

Considering the Toady has mentioned fixing the rain bug already, the entire thread is moot. But since I'm one of the ones who had a fort fail instantly pretty much due to arriving in the driving acid rain, I disagree that the military bugs needed a focus first. When a bug is so game-breaking as to possible result in failure before fun, it needs to be fixed. It's akin to a ctd upon embark, except somewhat rarer. 

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 12:26:31 am »

The new military is much more complex, but it also has much greater potential. Its just that it needs some polish to get rid of a few concept breaking bugs, the most obvious ones involving training not working properly and use of proper equipment. Once that is settled, military management is made of win.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 12:53:32 am »

Melting rain is totally as designed, Toady's deceiving you

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:55 am »

All I need fixed is the military and the surgery bug to enjoy this version. I like the new combat system myself, though it needs some tweaking. I think I may actually like the acid rain. I like my worlds to be a god forsaken land of death and fire though so I might be biased...
My personality profile.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:53 am »

Play adventure mode with a hammerer. Do this until you are legendary. Then drop the hammer and pick up an axe.
Combat is broken in addition to the military. This is known. Still, either way you CAN kill things with it. It isn't a total defeat.

Looking at what has been fixed, these are all higher priority no matter how you view it. You have a serious crash, the inability to fish for food, water that melts things, lava that uses water to melt things (actually I thought that was a feature. Silly me!) Health care not working right, and corpses not rotting right.
Take each of those and consider the timeframe they affect. They all (except for the magma and water) either result in instant loss or significant time periods of play. Military working right, by contrast, affects a much smaller area, and generally isn't even close to as severe.

Here's a list of things that are fixed to date:
- 0000002: [Dwarf Mode -- Embark/Setup] Crash when using site finder on large worlds (mem usage >2gb)
- 0000232: [General] No fish to catch anywhere (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000190: [General] Adventurers and dwarves melt in rain/water (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000416: [Weather] Rain kills everything it lands on (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000704: [Adventure Mode -- Movement] Melting when swimming in ocean (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000289: [Dwarf Mode -- Flows] *Qurik* Heat from magma cooks wet creatures up to two tiles away) (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000168: [General] Doctor repeatedly tries and fails to suture wounds that have already healed (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000474: [Dwarf Mode -- Jobs, Healthcare] Unable to bandage wound (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000161: [General] Corpses do not decay/rot (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000022: [General] Vermin remains don't rot (Toady One) - resolved.
(Toady One) - resolved.

Given what is fixed, except for a few memory leak items, I think a little love to the military wouldn't be uncalled for, however, I still want the Low-hanging fruit tackled first. It is much easier to work around a known problem when there aren't small obstacles popping up. Like farming in natural soil not working.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3