Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Toady!!  (Read 2991 times)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: Toady!!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:03 pm »

Well, the military is quite useable now, kill orders work and that's about everything you do most of time. I would just like if there would be some way to tell them that they are sparring NOW.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:22 pm »

Like farming in natural soil not working.

Thats not a bug. Its by design. Farming is harder now because you actually need water to farm underground by creating mud. Above ground farms work fine on natural soil, but below ground farming takes a bit of work to get set up now.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »

Well, the military is quite useable now, kill orders work and that's about everything you do most of time. I would just like if there would be some way to tell them that they are sparring NOW.
Well, no, kill orders don't work: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=481

Military is far too broken for my Fortress-loving taste, which doesn't solely revolve around building and/or dumping 20-FPS-inducing magma into caverns.

Different people have different priorities, for the player yes it's infuriating how some things obviously don't work but then it's a learning curve for the developer to try to avoid in future too, no? :)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »

Thats not a bug. Its by design. Farming is harder now because you actually need water to farm underground by creating mud. Above ground farms work fine on natural soil, but below ground farming takes a bit of work to get set up now.

You need to do better research, I think.

You're intended to be able to farm underground on unmuddied soil provided there is also a full wall of soil underneath.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »

You need to do better research, I think.

You're intended to be able to farm underground on unmuddied soil provided there is also a full wall of soil underneath.

I've tried that, but it gives me a message about needing mud.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 01:41:25 pm »

I said "intended", and that's why it's a bug that you can't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:34 am »

I'm also going to venture so far as saying that a lot of folks don't know how the military is supposed to work, and Toady could use more input on how people wanted to interact with the new military.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 10:59:48 am »

I'm also going to venture so far as saying that a lot of folks don't know how the military is supposed to work, and Toady could use more input on how people wanted to interact with the new military.

I think this is the source of most of the complaints.

Its not so much a learning curve as a learning cliff. Using the new military interface is extremely complicated.

Once you got it figured out it works extremely well. There are some bugs yes, but generally the military works amazingly well, and you can get your dwarves to do almost anything you want them to.

The major bugs I've noticed related to the training classrooms not working and also relieving dwarves from the military is problematic.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »

I still say the biggest problem is the lack of feedback. It's hard to figure out a system if you can't tell what you're doing wrong.

For instance, imagine if putting down a farm plot didn't give you the text warning about a lack of mud for underground farms. This would be frustrating, because you'd need to rely on trial and error, and it wouldn't be clear if you can't farm due to a bug or due to intended features. This is worse for something as complicated as the new military.
Pages: 1 2 [3]