Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most effecient fortress size?  (Read 2713 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most effecient fortress size?
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:11:36 am »

I usually find that with 20 or so dorfs I can usually cover all the jobs, sometimes the bowyer needs to do some stone/wood/bonecrafting on the side, but it all works out.

What do you guys think?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Most effecient fortress size?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:16:00 am »

I like to have at least 40 going.

I like having a few things happen at once.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:59 am »

I set my population cap to 80.

That gives me enough for every day to day job, 10-20 for military, and 30-40 left over for large projects.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:03 am »

Set it to 50 myself. I have enough dwarves to specialize them (separate furnace operator, metalsmith, cook, etc.) and quite a few to spare for hauling, military and sacrificing to the lavagod.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:26:44 am »

Currently using 40, finding that works out well for me and my framerate.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:00:41 am »

Hey, look, it's Geti!

At any rate, I just set it to 200 and release HFS if I get too much lag. A ton of dwarves helps keep megaprojects going.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:03:05 am »

I try to get everyone.  Filter them into new jobs as they come in.  I can always find new busy work for them to do, most often hauling crap from the caravans.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:15:23 am »

I usually set it initially to about 40, but often, as the fort stabilizes and things get boring, I crank it up to 60 or 80, just so that I have something to manage.

I've often wondered what it would be like, however, to simply set it to something ludicrously high like 1000 and just try to run a fort with wave after wave of immigrants coming. In the new version, burrows would certainly help with that, but in 40d, it might very well just end in chaos. Not to mention the fps hit.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:49 am »

I usually set the cap to 100, but fps is already ~20 at this point, so probably should go with lower amount.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:54 am »

I set it to 150. I figure I need at least 5-6 squads of dwarves, so thats 50-60 on military matters alone. Then about 20 specialized dwarves, with the rest being generic grunts.

My fortresses usually end up around 175-200 due to babies, and they replace anyone who has an unfortunate accident.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:53 pm »

I had 393 because of a lack of population control and unrestricted amounts of idling/partying.

It slowed my game to a crawl if they were all employed in some task.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:56:13 pm »

I have it set at 200, but it never gets that high because everyone dies really easily
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »

I set it to 150. I figure I need at least 5-6 squads of dwarves, so thats 50-60 on military matters alone. Then about 20 specialized dwarves, with the rest being generic grunts.

My fortresses usually end up around 175-200 due to babies, and they replace anyone who has an unfortunate accident.

Huh. I always went with a 16-man military, and just enough traps to give me an early warning.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 02:40:00 pm »

I like having redundancy to my backup plans.  ;D

Two squads of marksdwarves are stationed overlooking the entrance, with a squad of sword dwarves guarding the main gate to prevent anything sneaking in or getting by the marksdwarves.

I then have a squad on search and destroy for each cavern layer, ordered to defend the burrow defined to be the full cavern, so they take care of those zombie cave crocodiles for me.

I try not to use weapon/cage traps except in places that make sense. In a remote, never used access corridor I'll have traps. In heavily trafficked areas there are no traps.

The only traps I do use are lever operated ones.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »

The sky's (and by that I mean whatever keeps my FPS from dying) the limit...I've been pretty good at keeping my idlers down to 0-5 even with 120+ population.  Churning out endless quantities of glass and rock crap helps, although it usually gets sort of dull trading for endless bins of cloth and drinks.

But everybody's got new clothes and we've got the best drinks list in the Mountainhomes, so...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: [1] 2