Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why didn't anyone tell me that Caves are Epic!!!  (Read 2885 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't anyone tell me that Caves are Epic!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 07:31:49 am »

Give to me! I want your seed!

Oh lordy. This wants rephrasing so badly, but I'm laughing too hard.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 07:53:22 am »

No, no, I think it captures the essence (ha ha) of what Peasant really wanted.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 08:08:24 am »

When possible he prefers to consume dwarf seed?
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:21:50 am »

Aaand thats a derail. GG :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »

Aha! Dwarven cheese is the product of Dwarven milk, which is the extract of dwarven seed! Fascinating.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:41 pm »

Aha! Dwarven cheese is the product of Dwarven milk, which is the extract of dwarven seed! Fascinating.

Male dwarves don't produce milk.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

Uuuhm, anyway, a brief on-topic post: I've ran into exactly this sort of cave before. I was adventuring and got a quest to kill a dragon in a cave. Upon entering the cave, I discovered it was more-or-less a straight passageway down to an underground cavern. Tons of loot everywhere, but I decided to run away when the message: "The dragon drops the troll's left leg" appeared. After going far, far away and nearly dying of thirst, I headed back to find the dragon blocking the ramp up. All this ended with a depressing anticlimax as I mortally wounded the dragon with a slash to its leg. Also, I easily blocked the huge plume of fire it breathed at me, proving that dragons are still wimpy megabeasts.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

The embark party for my second 2010 fort disembarked directly on top of two dragons (one male, one female, presumably mates) and was immolated nearly instantly.  :-\

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »

The embark party for my second 2010 fort disembarked directly on top of two dragons (one male, one female, presumably mates) and was immolated nearly instantly.  :-\

A BREEDING PAIR!?  You must capture them for dwarven dragon taming!

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 03:57:13 pm »

A BREEDING PAIR!?  You must capture them for dwarven dragon taming!

Every civ was destroyed, I wouldn't have been able to get migrants. Even then, The dragons would have just kept killing every reclaim group. Oh well. I'm living comfortably in a cavern, now.

I just love cavern squatting so much. It's like building aboveground, but without that bothersome sunlight! I can dig out apartments in the stalagmites, put dining rooms on plateaus, and build houses right into the cliff face, adobe style. 

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 05:40:57 pm »

Caves are an awesome way to get past aquifers too.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »

Yeah, caves are a good place to play in. I usually world gen with size 500 (min) caves and caves visible to get some mega beasts to play with. Of course, dealing with groups of skeletal giants can be rough on a new embark.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

I'm using caverns to try and break my usual OCD playstyle of "Everything must be square and symmetrical. EVERYTHING" and adding a twist of no mining in the living/working/stockpile quarters (I have a square mine for rocks/ore, but it's not connected to anything and once mined out, is simply an empty floor). It's actually a lot of fun, although keeping track of where I've put the workshops can get... interesting. I should have tried to find a place with the cave, as it was I just built a 3x3 staircase straight down until I hit caverns. Now I'm having to floor them over, work with the inhabitants (many draltha in cages, I wonder if I can breed them...) and as an added bonus I'm logging it all from the perspective of the leader dwarf here just to keep myself (and hopefully others) amused.

I must admit the temptation to mine out square rooms to fit things in is overwhelming at times, but I've resisted so far! I know it's a highly disorganized and inefficient way to build a fort, but it had a reason and the inefficiency is greatly overshadowed by the fun.

I haven't met a dragon in any of my DF games... I'm kind of scared to. >.>
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 02:06:22 am »

I must admit the temptation to mine out square rooms to fit things in is overwhelming at times, but I've resisted so far! I know it's a highly disorganized and inefficient way to build a fort, but it had a reason and the inefficiency is greatly overshadowed by the fun.

I haven't met a dragon in any of my DF games... I'm kind of scared to. >.>

Don't be.  They're the weakest of megabeasts by far.  Their only dangerous quality is their firebreath, as,w ell, dogs can take them out.  Not sure if the dog biting the dragon in half in the best embark ever thread was a fluke or not though.  Or rather, how big of a fluke it was.
Pages: 1 [2]