Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, about the new channeling...  (Read 2985 times)

jaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, about the new channeling...
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:03:29 am »

Embarking on a freezing zone with an aquifer, I decided the quickest way through was to channel out the aquifer from above and let the water freeze. Next thing I see...

Is there a way to have dwarfs channel like they used to? Not necisarily get rid of the ramps, but at least not have them jump down onto the newly channeled out tile.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the new channeling...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:18:44 am »

You could try setting the area underneath as a restricted pathing zone and see if that helps?  Leave a roof above so the water doesn't freeze straight away?
Unless Toady has been particularly malicious, I don't think they are programmed to stand in the channel, but they probably path there to dig the next tile.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:03:45 am »

Tried channeling actual 1 tile wide channels? AFAIK they won't go down unless you actualy designate a zone wider than 1 tile.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:21:02 am »

Jump into the channel? Ive never had that before.

Then again I have only 2 miners, Maybe they are getting dropped in by others digging under them?
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:59 am »

This particular aspect of channeling hasn't changed. Dorfs will still dig channels under each other and themselves if you designate a large block, the ramps just let them escape once they recover from the fall. If you're channeling into something dangerous (like, say, a freezing aquifer), you need to designate one-tile strips so they behave.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:20 am »

Then again I have only 2 miners, Maybe they are getting dropped in by others digging under them?

In 40d they wouldn't channel under another. Has this changed?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:30:40 am »

Actually, because its identical to the carve up ramp designation, just designated from a different level, its following the carve up ramp AI.  Dwarves have never been shy about carving ramps from the tile they're standing on.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:31:30 am »

This particular aspect of channeling hasn't changed. Dorfs will still dig channels under each other and themselves if you designate a large block, the ramps just let them escape once they recover from the fall. If you're channeling into something dangerous (like, say, a freezing aquifer), you need to designate one-tile strips so they behave.

I had a sole miner channeling a single tile into a freezing aquifier (no designations around) and still manage to encase himself in ice just after he finished. Tried it with a different miner just a tile to the side, he encased himself in ice. Reloaded, tried on another place on the same aquifier with a different miner, same result. Reloaded, waited until it thawed. No point wasting miners to bugs like this. :D

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:56 am »

You must have been lucky, because when I played 40d thye did it ALL the time for me.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »

You must have been lucky, because when I played 40d thye did it ALL the time for me.

I watched miners cancel channeling a square because it was occupied by another miner.  They would not channel out a square a miner was standing on.

(They would channel out a square that would cause another miner to fall in a cave-in, but that's user error via stupid channel designation.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »

They will happily channel a square that will drop themselves down a level though.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:19 pm »

Ran into that problem myself.  Try this:
  • Designate the ground to be channeled into to instead have down stairways dug, and on the level below have up stairways (obviously).
  • Designate the digging of channels over this area normally.
The stairways will fill with water, which means your miners won't want to go into them constantly (although they always seem to step down while doing it at least once per area for some reason) but as they'll still be counted as natural subterranean areas it won't freeze.  Channeling will expose the water, but as it'll simply remove the stairs without creating a ramp the miners won't end up falling in when it freezes.  It's more work, but it'll never result in a dwarfcicle ever again.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:27 pm »

The problem is very simple. Dwarves have a tendency to dig one tile of a channel, then step down to dig the next tile from there (as if it were a ramp designation). They instantly freeze as the tile fills with water and freezes.

The solution is annoying, but equally simple. Someone has already stated both of these things in this thread, but I'll go on anyway. Designate one tile at a time, never two connected together.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »

I think the best solution here is just not to uncover the aquifer until you've channeled the tiles out. Once they're channeled, uncover it, they freeze, then you dig on through.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »

I think the best solution here is just not to uncover the aquifer until you've channeled the tiles out. Once they're channeled, uncover it, they freeze, then you dig on through.
and when you start on the 2nd level of the aquifer you are back to dwarfcicles.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.
Pages: [1] 2 3