Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, where do we get shells from, anyway?  (Read 1689 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
So, where do we get shells from, anyway?
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:39 am »

My fisherdwarves stand around lazy all day going "there's nothing to catch". Since turtles are (afaik) the only source of shells in the entire game, and my fisherdwarves are too lazy to go out and fish in the murky pools, what should I do for my poor possessed dwarf?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, where do we get shells from, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:51 am »

He's probably doomed. You need to fish up turtles or cave lobsters and then process them at a fishing workshop, but there is a bug currently where it is almost impossible to find work for your fisherdwarves.

All of the imported lobsters and turtles you get have already been processed, so they have no shells.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:04 am »

I got one by lopping it off of a slugman lol.  Not a real guaranteed method but eh...

If you have a murky pool, put your fisherman on it.  You can most certainly get turtles out of them (I have done it), but only out of murky pools, not rivers, brooks, etc.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:05:09 am »

He can't be doomed. He's a legendary mason already, I can't afford to lose him!

Is there any way to mod to turn rocks into shells? I need some magic here!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:18 am »

i've never had any trouble getting my fisherdwarves to fish (turtles) from murky pools. have you set a fishing zone around one of the pools?

there's some way you can mod other animals to give shells, but I don't know it offhand

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:29:34 am »

Would adding :SHELL to the body be sufficient?

dualR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:30:57 am »

Crundles have 'scales' but I've never confirmed if they work like shells

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:40:53 am »

Until .04 comes out, you could make some sort of tortoise pet you can embark with and butcher for the shell.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:45 am »

Don't worry about shells yet.  They're bugged, and you can't make anything with them until the bug is fixed.  Or maybe I need an "Expert" bonecarver in order to succeed at using the shell.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:06 am »

Pretty sure I made some shell crafts before in 2010.  I can't say for certain, as it was something I assigned in passing to keep a craftdwarf busy, but I do believe they were made.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:13:15 am »

i've never had any trouble getting my fisherdwarves to fish (turtles) from murky pools. have you set a fishing zone around one of the pools?
The issue apparently affected some maps but not all...something about "melting rain". Toady got it fixed on Friday.
So far I've handled vermin not rotting, a crash from the site finder, and river fish availability (which related to the melting rain bug but I haven't gotten to that one yet so it's probably not fixed -- temperatures are a bit more sane though... but maybe not sane enough).
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:44 am »

Simply add a line saying [SHELL] to one of your favourite endproducts of butchery, in material_template_default.txt. I  have this tag on the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE] now, which had previously no use at all.

That's if you really don't want to have to lock the doors of the workshop and don't want to lose that dwarf, and aren't afraid of a little modding.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

If you add a tag to a creature it will only (based on my non-scientific recollection) apply to newly generated (immigrants/births/cominings-of-age) instances of that critter.

Adding it to the butchery products is probably safer.

Were I a better modder, I would make a custom workshop to turn rock into stone shells.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:04 am »

If you add a tag to a creature it will only (based on my non-scientific recollection) apply to newly generated (immigrants/births/cominings-of-age) instances of that critter.

Adding it to the butchery products is probably safer.

Were I a better modder, I would make a custom workshop to turn rock into stone shells.
Simply add a line saying [SHELL] to one of your favourite endproducts of butchery, in material_template_default.txt. I  have this tag on the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE] now, which had previously no use at all.

That's if you really don't want to have to lock the doors of the workshop and don't want to lose that dwarf, and aren't afraid of a little modding.
Thanks a million guys!

Yeah, when I modded cows to have shells, the game crashed when I viewed the butcher's shop after butchering one for shells...

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:02:33 am »

Sorry for double post...

UPDATE!

The hair-as-shells thing is working wonderfully. My mason is putting together something big with them... and it includes a faint yellow diamond. This is going to be a valuable artifact... here's hoping it's furniture.

Pages: [1] 2