Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in New Materials  (Read 1701 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding in New Materials
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:18:33 pm »

I wanted to start working on a new mod for v. 2010 & I need some advice for how to do two things in particular:

1) Make a material "Meteor Iron" which shows up in small circular/oval clumps inside soil layers which can be worked like metal.

2) Make a workshop which can be used to transform Native Metals (Native Copper, Native Gold, etc.) into tools without requiring smelting skill.

I've been planning on making a Primitive Civilization mod of my own and I think that smelting/furnace operating was a little too advanced, whereas a culture which makes tools out of nuggets of native metal sounds just right.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in New Materials
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »

I wanted to start working on a new mod for v. 2010 & I need some advice for how to do two things in particular:

1) Make a material "Meteor Iron" which shows up in small circular/oval clumps inside soil layers which can be worked like metal.

2) Make a workshop which can be used to transform Native Metals (Native Copper, Native Gold, etc.) into tools without requiring smelting skill.

I've been planning on making a Primitive Civilization mod of my own and I think that smelting/furnace operating was a little too advanced, whereas a culture which makes tools out of nuggets of native metal sounds just right.

Example of a Meteor Fragment cluster:
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:METEOR_SHARD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:meteor shard][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:0][TILE:'*']
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5100]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:8]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12736]

You'll also need a new metal_ore entry if you want to use something else than IRON.
Create the new toolmaking workshop by copying the soap maker custom workshop.
Copy smelter_reactions to create custom reaction for the new workshop.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:41:00 pm by Phoebus »

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »

Example of a Meteor Fragment cluster:
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:METEOR_SHARD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:meteor shard][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:0][TILE:'*']
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5100]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:8]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12736]

You'll also need a new metal_ore entry if you want to use something else than IRON.
Create the new toolmaking workshop by copying the soap maker custom workshop.
Copy smelter_reactions to create custom reaction for the new workshop.

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. I'm hoping to get seriously started on this mod once the semester ends, so I'll keep this advice on hand.

EDIT:

In the Custom Workshop would I have to make each individual reaction for each separate tool? What I mean is, would I have to mod in a reaction "Make Copper Dagger" using the Copper Nugget reagent & then mod in a "Make Copper Helmet" using the Copper Nugget reagent, etc. for every tool I wish to be created using this process? I'm trying to find a way to make metal weapons and tools without using the Smelter, Furnace, Forge, etc. process but I'm not sure that coding in a custom reaction for every possible tool from every possible metal is the most efficient way to do it.

DOUBLE EDIT:

It also has just occurred to me that I don't know if a non-forge workshop would be able to produce weapons at all. If I had a custom reaction that consumed 1 Native Copper Nugget and 1 Wood unit & produced a custom weapon called a "Crude Dagger", how would the game know what the dagger was made of?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:17:15 pm by bobsnewaddress »

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

I've been working more on the modding and have hit a few bumps in the road.

For one thing I'm still confused as to how to make it so that Native Copper can be used to make weapons. I'm trying to see if I can do so in the Craftsdwarfs workshop, similar to how Obsidian Short Swords are made, by adding the [Item_weapon], [Max_Edge:20000] tags, but I don't see them available in the object testing arena. I'm also wondering if using the [Barred],[Scaled], etc. tags can be used to allow people to make Armor in the Craftsdwarfs workshop similar to how they can make Shell and Bone armor.

I tried Copy-Pasting the relevant tags to a stone (Granite) to test and see if it would work, but no Granite armor showed up in the Object Testing Arena either.

What am I doing wrong?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:45:04 pm »

Native metals already can be used for "rock short swords" in the craftsdwarf shop, to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure anything with a nonzero MAX_EDGE value can be, and that includes native metals.

I'm not sure about the other questions, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »

Native Copper =/= Metal Copper

I know, and he was talking about native copper, as was I.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:17 am »

Native metals already can be used for "rock short swords" in the craftsdwarf shop, to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure anything with a nonzero MAX_EDGE value can be, and that includes native metals.

I'm not sure about the other questions, though.

That's the thing though, there isn't a Maxedge value listed for Native Copper/Gold/Silver,etc. in the RAW files, nor are they listed as [Item_Weapon] or any other item. I can see Native Metal weapons in the object testing arena, but I can also see Slade weapons listed there and those aren't really possible to make In Game.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:53:37 am »

They inherit the default metal template, which means that yes, they do have a MAX_EDGE. Of course, it means they also inherit a bunch of other identical default properties, which is a bit weird and silly. For what it's worth, slade also has a MAX_EDGE.