Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spelunking Elves  (Read 1533 times)

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spelunking Elves
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »

I don't post here very often, but what I just saw in DF was enough to make me do so.

After trading with the elves for a ton of giant leopards and a ?tigerman?, the merchants began to pack up.

I left them to it and began to dig out my mayor's mansion in the cavern system I had discovered.

Suddenly, I notice that the elven merchants are descending my grand staircase. I follow them as they enter my cavern complex and navigate the twisting tunnels, narrowly avoiding a gang of troglodytes and a pack of naked mole rats. Then, they disappear of the edge of the map.

Even though they were elves I still applaud them for being so hardcore. Instead of taking the relatively safe above ground route, the elves proffered to travel the dark passageways to try and find a way back home, I wonder if they will return next trading season?

Also, don't criticize me for not killing them. I tried and my military refused to attack.       

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spelunking Elves
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:08 pm »

Also, don't criticize me for not killing them. I tried and my military refused to attack.       
YOU SHOULD HAVE FOUND A WAY.

And what do you mean, applaud them for being  so hardcore? These are our ENEMIES. We don't want to give the cannibalistic hippies anymore advantages than we have to. Would the Brits have applauded the Zulu for starting to use rifles?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »

Well I guess the edge of the map is the edge of the map regardless of level.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »

Part of the justification those of us use who want to embark on the cavern level.

Certainly less hippie-wuss of the elves than usual, I must admit.  See if any of them return and with more nifty stuff, then we'll see if you've found a *shudder* worthwhile band of hippies.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:30 pm »

Part of the justification those of us use who want to embark on the cavern level.

Certainly less hippie-wuss of the elves than usual, I must admit.  See if any of them return and with more nifty stuff, then we'll see if you've found a *shudder* worthwhile band of hippies.
Those don't exist.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:26 pm »

They march through caverns full of beastys.
They being tigermen in cages.
THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »

THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

The wrinkled scrotum of a weasel, even if covered in sugar and presented to by a man in curly shoes, is not Turkish delight. Elves, even when wearing beards and successfully navigating monster filled caverns, are never Dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:30:43 pm by Owlbread »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:47 pm »

No, dwarfs never bring cool things in cages.

Just cats.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:29:47 pm »

No, dwarfs never bring cool things in cages.

Just cats.

I was merely using that behaviour as an example of what both you and I would consider "cool", and therefore "worthy of Dwarven sympathy".

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »

THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

What!?  The Hippies are stealing our beards?  We must act decisively to stop these dirty beings to continue to corrupt our precious beards!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »

THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

What!?  The Hippies are stealing our beards?  We must act decisively to stop these dirty beings to continue to corrupt our precious beards!

When possible, I will personally shave all elven prisoners entirely before feeding them to a captured forgotten beast.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »

THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

This can easily be achieved by opening your raw files, finding creatures_stranded, then holding Ctrl+F, pasting in [CASTE:MALE] and pressing enter TWICE, not once, but two times, then deleting [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:33 pm »

THEY HAVE BEARDS!

What more do you want?

This can easily be achieved by opening your raw files, finding creatures_stranded, then holding Ctrl+F, pasting in [CASTE:MALE] and pressing enter TWICE, not once, but two times, then deleting [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

Cheating is all fine and well, but then the elves would simply act as though they had never been in a beard-wearer relationship. Surely humiliating them before sending them to their doom is a more satisfying option?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:20 pm »

The thin line between modding and cheating is weather it makes the game easier or not.

As for the fun, if shaving the elf is all you can think of, you need to mod your own raws to be a little more creative! But then again, that would be cheating...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »

Has anyone managed to get traders to enter via the underground?
Pages: [1] 2