Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ALL BURN! *The Darkness Below Spoilers*  (Read 770 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
ALL BURN! *The Darkness Below Spoilers*
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »

I just flooded hell with magma. Smells like crisped salt, hehehe. 8) Filling with water now to obsidianize and finally make my fort. Hehehe. What have you done with the Darkness Below?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ALL BURN! *The Darkness Below Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:00 pm »

I knew someone would do this ever since I first saw the caves and the bottom layer.

Because the answer to every new feature is to apply magma.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »

Many are magma immune and they'll keep spawning infinitely.  So you'll need to make obsidian on the entire hell layer, otherwise they'll keep spawning and try to murder you by FPS.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »

My last three forts have all had the objective of, as quickly as possible, tunneling to hell, opening the HFS, flooding it with magma, and obsidianising it to build an obsidian castle in hell.

So far I have a 0% success rate and a 100% fun rate. I have a funny feeling I'll never get seven miners to hold off the legions of hell for long.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:09 pm »

The problem with hell is that it's leaking, it's full of chasms! You have to floor over these first, otherwise the magma is simply wasted. I assume Karnewarrior did that :)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:18:36 pm »

My system is a bit of a sprinkler, dumping magma and water out at the same time. i got that working in one fort but not on a large enough scale.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:50 pm »

My system is a bit of a sprinkler, dumping magma and water out at the same time. i got that working in one fort but not on a large enough scale.

Maybe the solution is not to do it on a single large scale event, but in multiple smaller events that, say, first bisect hell, then cut it into quarters, then block off the edges of the map, then fill in the blanks.