Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun With Syndromes  (Read 2244 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun With Syndromes
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:11:16 pm »

So, I've been having too many syndrome-related ideas, figured I'd start putting them all in one place, see what other people come up with.

Newest: a very weak, maybe-not-even-aggressive creature whose blood has some sort of highly-nasty effect- maybe just instant unconsciousness, maybe fast-acting necrosis- but has it as an inhale effect, rather than a contact one- and the blood gets a very low boiling point.

So, your military goes up to one of these things, cuts it, and there's an instant explosion of its blood, as your squad rots out of their uniforms in a second.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun With Syndromes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:16:51 pm »

Hello freaky!
Plump helmet men got you thinking too? I'm currently modding in an above ground version of them, just so I don't need to dig so deep for there sweet flesh.

But back on topic! Yes, that would be cool.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »

To make them more valuable, you could make them milkable for something of value, so you have reason to domesticate them, but if they wander onto your front lines, you're in trouble.

What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:10 pm »

I've been trying to figure out if vermin can have secretions to spread gas or liquid contaminants as a mass-delivery system. No luck thus far, sadly, as I've had to rely on third parties for testing until the Mac version releases.

I'm also considering giving a creature a liquid brain with mind-altering effects, insofar as it's possible.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »

Heh, right there with you. I'm doing my best to push additional syndrome stuff in the suggestions thread, but I think I've hit my limit without being pushy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:28:25 pm »

Well I'm sure toady doesn't care how pushy we are.

If I were him I would read through suggestions, and if I thought they were cool I would do it and everybody else be dammed!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:34:49 pm »

Well, I already have two syndrome topics on the suggestion boards- add mental effects, and add contagions.

I'm a little conflicted about it- on the one hand, it's Toady's game, and I'm sure every player has things they want him to be doing with it.

On the other, based on what I know about programming and what I've gleaned of the system he's using, syndromes are low-hanging fruit that would add a *lot* to the game.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »

Well something making a dwarf go beserker is as easy as calling up a function, as everything is already built in.

Personally I would be over the moon if toady separated civilizations that live in caves with those that are 'hidden', that was I could have groups of evil knights living in dark towers within attack range, and you would never know they were there.

It would be easy as anything to do, but who knows if he will.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:46 pm »

I've been trying to figure out if vermin can have secretions to spread gas or liquid contaminants as a mass-delivery system. No luck thus far, sadly, as I've had to rely on third parties for testing until the Mac version releases.

I'm also considering giving a creature a liquid brain with mind-altering effects, insofar as it's possible.

I'm not sure that Vermin can attack at all (in fact I'm almost certain they can't), so the idea of Vermin created syndromes is still an impossibility at this point. Which is a shame since I really wanted to mod in a disease spread by Rats similar to the Black Death.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »

By the way, I think I may have found a new method of weaponizing poison, please check it out and tell me whether I'm a mad genius, or just plain old stark raving mad.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »

I'm not sure that Vermin can attack at all (in fact I'm almost certain they can't), so the idea of Vermin created syndromes is still an impossibility at this point. Which is a shame since I really wanted to mod in a disease spread by Rats similar to the Black Death.

If I'm right you could do that with:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The '100' stands for chance of the vermin 'biting' a creature that steps onto the same tile, if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure what you named your syndrome carrying extract, but you should put the name of that one where I put 'BLACK_DEATH'.

Try;
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:26:09 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27:05 pm »

I wonder... If a creature was created that oozed pus with a syndrome attached to it, would anyone infected also generate infected pus?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »

I wonder... If a creature was created that oozed pus with a syndrome attached to it, would anyone infected also generate infected pus?

Which condition are you talking about here? I've been trying to come up with a way to make contagions without more help from Toady...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »

So I had this thought last night.
Would it be possible to add another liquid to the dwarfs list of liquids (Like blood and pus) that ONLY oozes when there affected by a certain illness, but also carrys the illness?

That would effectively make it spread, but not sure how doable it is.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »

So I had this thought last night.
Would it be possible to add another liquid to the dwarfs list of liquids (Like blood and pus) that ONLY oozes when there affected by a certain illness, but also carrys the illness?

That would effectively make it spread, but not sure how doable it is.

COUGH_BLOOD or VOMIT_BLOOD would work if Dwarf blood was inherently poisonous. However, ENTERS_BLOOD cannot make a dwarf's blood "contaminated" yet.

If I'm right you could do that with:

The '100' stands for chance of the vermin 'biting' a creature that steps onto the same tile, if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure what you named your syndrome carrying extract, but you should put the name of that one where I put 'BLACK_DEATH'.

Try;

I had considered a plague of biting vermin, which would probably work splendidly... if I wanted it transmitted by bite. The goal was to simulate gas-explosions with vermin as a delivery system, or otherwise have contaminants be introduced by the environment.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2