Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is a spolier to you? *spoliers*  (Read 966 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is a spolier to you? *spoliers*
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »

I noticed a bit of variation in what is spoliered and what isn't for the new version. Obviously this was simpler in 40d, with only one (or two, if you counted megabeasts) thing- the pits- that was a spoiler, whereas now we have a whole slew of new features. Some people spoiler almost everything, and some people go as far as talking about demons and slade castles without spoilers at all. Though some people argue that spoilers are pointless as they are plastered all over the wiki/ community games and stories, I still think we should in least show common courtesy when talking about this stuff so that new players can inleast choose whether they want to discover stuff on their own or not.

So from the following list (or if you can think of any more, post), what do you think is not a spoiler, a minor spoiler, or a massive spoiler:
Code: [Select]
1. Caverns (first layer)
2. Raw'ed inhabitants of the caverns (plump helmet men, hungry heads, elk birds, etc.)
3. Stuff in the caverns (trees, exclusively underground plants -I say this because to some people it may be a pleasant surprise)
4. Beast-men tribes
5. Magma Sea
6. Adamantine (just it's existence, not where it's found/what it seals)
7. Slade (same as above)
8. Existence of Hell (not what's in it)
9. Existence of Slade Fortresses (same as above)
10. Upright Adamantine Swords (just their existence, not Hell/ the demon fortresses)
11. Normal megabeasts (the raw'ed ones, like dragons, hydras, etc.)
12. Titans (the aboveground generated ones)
13. Forgotten Beasts (above, but below ground)
14. Old Demons (the ones in 40d that supposedly still sometimes show up)
15. Generated demons

For me:
Not a spoiler: 1 (easy to find within 5 minutes of playing), 2 (same), 3, 5, 6, 7, 11

Minor: 4 (because they're cool and fun to find on your own), 10 (because without knowing what hell/ slade fortresses are it's not a big deal), 12 (they show up before goblin ambushes)

Massive: 8, 9, 13 (though they also show up early, for me they were much more of a surprise, you dont expect danger from below ground as much), 14, 15
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:38:04 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is a spolier to you? *spoliers*
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

I think the spoiler stuff is silly. We have a ton of tiptoing all across the forum and wiki- both of which are populated mostly by experienced players- in the hopes of shielding newer people and not ruining a (fairly minor) surprise for them. I mean, this is DF we're talking about, not Harry Potter. I mean hell, the introductory movie gives away everything you need to know.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »

1. No
2. No, I don't consider the existence of inhabitants of the surface or of the caverns to be spoilers.
3. No.
4. Maybe to some, but not to me.
5. No, I would expect to eventually hit magma by simply digging deep enough.
6. No, it's common as dirt between fantasy titles.  I have never understood the preoccupation with calling it clownite by some when the next thread over is complaining about how it is inferior for making weapons out of.
7. Minor.
8. Minor. I consider revealing the nature of the HFS and the infinite nature of it to be more spoilerific.
9. Minor.
10. Haven't encountered those yet, so I'd say minor-to-moderate depending upon what effect they have on the game.
11. No. Dragons are to be expected, after all.
12. No, not really.
13. Moderate, but easily discovered.
14. Bugs are not spoilers.
15. Moderate

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:50 pm »

I have never understood the preoccupation with calling it clownite
Because when you make it into weapons now you feel like a clown.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.