Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door-less sleeping quarters  (Read 1486 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door-less sleeping quarters
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:38:29 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a new idea or not and I can't bother searching for it (so sue me), but I recently came up with this idea for doorless quarters.

It's quite simple, you reserve one level for "lobby", and then dig stairs up and down into otherwise disconnected small rooms. You won't need to build or haul doors to the rooms and you have walls for smoothing/engraving all way round each room. If you build the stairs far enough apart you can also use the lobby area as dining room, or you can stack multiple stories of quarters on top of each other with reasonably quick access, and maybe only a lobby every 5 layers.

Code: [Select]
# = wall   . = floor    <X> = stairs   Θ = bed

Lobby (Z=0)
########..#..########
#...................#
#.X...X...X...X...X.#
#...................#
#...#...#...#...#...#
#...................#
#.X...X...X...X...X.#
#...................#
#####################

Upper quarters (Z=+1)
#####################
#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#
#.<.#.<.#.<.#.<.#.<.#
#...#...#...#...#...#
#####################
#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#
#.<.#.<.#.<.#.<.#.<.#
#...#...#...#...#...#
#####################

Lower quarters (Z=-1)
#####################
#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#
#.>.#.>.#.>.#.>.#.>.#
#...#...#...#...#...#
#####################
#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#..Θ#
#.>.#.>.#.>.#.>.#.>.#
#...#...#...#...#...#
#####################

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Door-less sleeping quarters
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:22 pm »

you know, i'm sure someone's thought of this or something like it before, but I very much like this idea. saves the trouble of building a ton of doors, and provides a logical place for a meeting area/dining hall. :D

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »

I agree I do like this idea....when it comes to sleeping quarters though...my dwarfs dont like sleeping in there own beds ¬.¬ rather they pick whatever is closest

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:01:20 pm »

This is really cool.

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »

Combining this with fractal housing units is awesome.

Code: [Select]
###########
#####.#####
####...####
##.##>##.##
#..>###>..#
##.##>##.##
####...####
#####.#####
###########
Expanding as required.  Prefect amount of space for bed+shelf+chest.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »

It's nice and all, but then dwarfs won't get as many happy thoughts about doors.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:41:13 pm »

Okay, no fine doors to admire, though you could still add floor hatches if you like!

I just discovered another issue with this... one of my hunters (I think he was actually in the military) decided to claim some cheese and dump it on the floor in his room. It soon started rotting and smelling, and the lack of door ensured everyone got to enjoy the miasma of rotten cheese.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »

Okay, no fine doors to admire, though you could still add floor hatches if you like!

I just discovered another issue with this... one of my hunters (I think he was actually in the military) decided to claim some cheese and dump it on the floor in his room. It soon started rotting and smelling, and the lack of door ensured everyone got to enjoy the miasma of rotten cheese.

Well like you said...replace a door with hatches and that should take care of that

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:58:15 pm »

Except then you have to build more hatches then you would doors.  So you have to build and haul hatches instead ;p

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »

While this is true the concept of the rooms being above and below the dining room or something is still a very good one...and hatches might not be that necessary...also with the extra Z levels it gives em some use *shrugs*

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »

Does Miasma travel via diagonals now or not?

Because if you put the rooms so that the stairs are always on the corner of the room that might work for miasma-thwarting purposes.

I imagine it doesn't give proper happy thoughts if 2+ rooms share a common stairwell due to common corners though...

On the bright side at least they don't mind having their bedrooms being hallways for the dwarves who live above/below them depending upon what level they are relative to the lobby/dining hall.

I'm guessing statue gardens could work for the sub-lobbies inbetween levels.

Cubittus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL][FLASHES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »

There are some very cool bedroom designs on the Wiki including some very complex and compact vertical designs:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Bedroom_design

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:46:09 pm »

@Cubittus - Yes.

I'm a huge fan of the 6 room clusters.  They're dense in both directions.  You can build 2-3 levels above and below the lobby to completely house your fortress if you top out around 200 dwarves.  (I don't.  75 - two layers - is about all my poor machine can pathfind for and remain above 50 fps.)

Doors aren't a hassle, considering what they do.  Your mason gets experience for making them and the doors themselves create happy thoughts and contain miasma.  Just create work orders for doors in batches of like 50 at a time after your first masonry workshops go up.  That way you don't accidentally 2,853 doors.

DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:03:17 pm »

Expand it a bit and instead of the center room, put a waterfall through it.

Use wall grates in dwarven rooms next to the waterfall... Assign those beds to your legendary dwarves.

Now you have a waterfall dining room AND waterfall living quarters.

... I am so gonna go build that right now. I am gonna need a crapload of grates.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:07:37 pm by Ardenn »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

z0
##...#######
##...#######
##...##...##
##..<##<..##
##...##...##
##...#######
##...#######

z+1
############
############
############
####>..>_###
############
############
############

where the two down-staircases have floor hatches. the channel _ is optional and lets you shoot at insane dwarves or dump food/animals into. the best part about this setup is that the hatches are option, they do not contribute to the cost of the room, AND they can never be opened from below by force because creatures do not (yet) attack buildings from another zlevel.
the double-walls are there so rooms can be properly engraved; so the engraver doesn't put the room engavings in the hall.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"