Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambushes/Sieges scheduled differently now?  (Read 586 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Ambushes/Sieges scheduled differently now?
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:27:40 pm »

So back in 40d, being the scum saver that I am, I avoided a lot of ambushes by crashing out DF. The ambushes didn't always occur again, or at the same times.

In this version, I've got a fort of 15 helpless, defenseless dwarves and the ambushes have started. The Goblins are...well they cut through dwarves like wet tissue paper now. So I've tried the whole crashing/reloading thing....but the ambushes keep showing up at the same time, in the same spot, over four reloads now. Has anyone had this same experience, where ambushes, once they happen, are pretty much locked in to occur?

I'm also getting hit by up to 15 goblins in year two, with only a created wealth of $40,000. Doesn't that seem a little...excessive?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:31:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ambushes/Sieges scheduled differently now?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »

I think they may be more regular this time around - I was getting ambushes every year, just after the elven caravan arrived to unload...

I think the goblin armies actually 'travel' from their towers (the distance is important, at least) so it may be that the army was already on it's way when you last saved?

While this does mean you can't avoid the ambushes anymore, reloading will give you a chance to set up better traps and hide your (non-millitary) dwarves away when it's about to strike.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »

Year 2?

You lucky chap...
at one fort I got my first ambush (that broke the back of the fort) already in winter of year one.
(short after the first supply caravan left and while my fortress liaison was still around)
Around 10 goblins, half of them bowgoblins and the other half macegoblins.
The ~15 dwarves which were immediately summoned into the militia, all of them unarmored and only a few of them armed with the picks they used during their civilian jobs as miners never stood a chance against the goblin ambush.
Most of them were butchered from the bowgoblins before even being able to hurt a goblin (including the liaison, who was the first to die, when she courageously charged the goblins as soon as they were discovered) :-\
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:41:21 pm by Proteus »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

aw man :(
it's my fifth year and I've had a SINGLE ambush, immediately stemmed by my cage trap mine field.
I want a siege, MORE PRISONERS!
combined with my cavern cage traps and airlock cage traps, I have ~80 caught goblins, skeletal and regular creatures.  of which, only a single rabbit could be trained.
I want to release them on something worth while!
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:42:45 pm »

I think the civ indicators on the site selection screen could be a little more informative. The - - - - - - doesn't tell me a lot about the relative threat that civ poses. It makes sense now that distance and all that is relative.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti