Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I found a friend in the underground.  (Read 1450 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
I found a friend in the underground.
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

In my current fort, I dug into the new subterranean features asap.  But something caused this to be interrupted.  I noticed preserved meat that I did not produce on the stocks screen, and zoomed down to it.  The cursor was on a deep, hidden tile.  So I decided that would be the route by which I went down.  This uncovered a small camp of Serpent men.  They couldn't get to me, because the downstair was above a tile occupied by meat and floor.  So for ages I try getting a marksman ready to shoot them.

Before that can happen, a forgotten beast arrives; Arel Enirshislug:  A great eyeless crab.  It had a short horn and it undulated rythmically.  It's midnight blue exoskeleton was waxy.  Once one was wary of its deadly spittle!

It was on the level the serpent men were on, and so instead of attacking me (who it could not reach) it attacked the serpent men.  I did not see the whole of the fight.  The snakes won in the end, with losses.  Somehow, though, when I checked the unit screen, one of the serpentwoman spearmen (I didn't write the professions) was listed as friendly instead of hostile.  And periodically, I would find one of the more powerful of their warriors to have died.  Eventually I eliminate the rest with marksdwarves as I dig into the area properly.  And now, the serpent woman spearman periodically comes up to my well for the "clean self" job, then returns to her former camp.

What happened is a mystery.  Was the friendly a newborn that grew quickly and took up the spear (goblins born on site can be friendly, even when born of invaders)?  A different bug, of unknown qualities?  None can say.

But I can say I appreciate the extra guard.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I found a friend in the underground.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »

Known bug/feature, beastmen that kill forgotten beasts become friendly. It's pretty funny.
Is her spear named?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:21:41 pm »

This happened to me, except two became friendly and they killed off the rest of their "Unfriendly" Tribe. I now have two reptilepeople that are trying to repopulate.

Needless to say, we get along and they get to deal with all the Crundles. Mutualism is awesome and I ask that this remain a bug or become a feature.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »

Known bug/feature, beastmen that kill forgotten beasts become friendly. It's pretty funny.
Is her spear named?
No, but she is.  Isonnekik, "Plannedcold."  Not sure what that's supposed to mean.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:03:28 pm »

dude there needs to be the ability to have embark location relations and diplomacy >.>

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »

I also have an antman in a similar situation after it killed a brine monster (a demon made of sea salt)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:38:06 pm »

I wouldn't mind having diplomatic relationships- even trade- with the local civs, but it might get really confusing. I suppose if you kept them primitive, though, with no economy at all or just enough of one to feed themselves... maybe have some option to "give" them certain items (food and weapons).

I wouldn't mind having an area of the caverns I lent to my snake-man allies, and another where my dwarves had ceremonial/recreational hunts of the plump helmet men.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:55:14 pm »

I was thinking it could be handled in a simple way as well....be able to make peace and trade simple goods....just have someone acting as a liaison talk to your leader once a year or something just like caravans already do (except obviously it wouldn't come from off map)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

I would like to have the option of adopting an underground civ, you can have a "teacher" noble who would teach them dwarven language and they would work for you, consume your resources, attack invaders, ect., but you can't control them and they give your dwarves bad thoughts.  that sounds pretty balanced to me.  on the other hand you could  "insult them" and they would wage war on you with primitive weapons and armor.
that would be awesome
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 06:15:03 pm »

I don't know about the bad thought;  maybe at first, but if they do something heroic, and adapt to dwarven culture well, maybe the dwarves (not all of them, necessarily) could grow to accept them fully.
Just so I remember

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:26:27 pm »

I suppose you could add a sort of racial tolerance trait, ranging from "completely tolerant" to "racist"
and go from there.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »

It'd be interesting to have ~men form relationships with your dwarves over time just like they (the dwarves) do with each other. Obviously it'd be tricky, but after one gets a dwarven friend it could become docile / neutral, and over time gain more friends and feel the need to protect your fort as well. Could probably be accomplished by caging them, then de-weaponizing them and releasing them within the fort with some other civilian dwarves and have them run around for a bit until they make friends. Other 'friend' points could be added if they eat food created by your fort or something.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 11:30:18 pm »

It's not just forgotten beast slaying that makes them friendly.  I had a SOMETHING woman kill a berserking dwarf, and she became friendly.  Lots of stuff went bad in that fort, so i tried to get everyone killed; I sent my military, unarmed, down to get the attention of the primitive civ.  They managed to kill one of the dwarves, and then stopped killing. 

Then a forgotten beast showed up and ravaged what was left.  my remaining military plus the two friendly ants (or whatever) chased the gas-emitting through my halls 'til they died.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:00 am »

I just lost a friend in the underground :(

I started getting messages about a forgotten beast being enraged, and then not enraged.  Then I started getting messages about a second forgotten beast being enraged and then not enraged... And then 13 reptile man elite wrestlers appeared on my deceased list.  Poor guys.  Haven't grown the beard to dig down and avenge them yet. 

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:07 am »

I think the main trigger is that if they kill something hostile to you and them they can become friendly