Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tab overload  (Read 1393 times)

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tab overload
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »

I feel like a topic whore, but this bothers me a lot.

I browse the internet starting with 3 tabs. 1 for music, 1 for this forum, 1 for facebook.

Then I think of the Minecraft Forum; +1
Blockland Forum? +1
Notch's blog? +1
DF wiki, wikipedia, etc. etc. etc.

When I'm modding, I can keep it to a minimum of 6 :/
1 for df wiki, 2 for wikipedia, 1 for music, 1 for this forum's modding section, 1 for the rest of the forum

Eventually the amount of tabs and not being able to find anything drives me crazy, and I close everything. Rinse and repeat.

Any solutions/help?

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that I am lacking a point. I would like to keep down the number of tabs, but I can't control it. Any help, short of blocking my favorite sites?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:30:02 pm by Vertigon »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Tab overload
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:24:13 pm »

Any solutions/help?
For what? Your topic is basically along the lines of "I ate cereal this morning. Any solutions/help?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:35:17 pm »

Any solutions/help?
For what? Your topic is basically along the lines of "I ate cereal this morning. Any solutions/help?

He's got too many boxes of cereal to manage them all. Do you have cereal box management tips?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »

... Why do you want to keep down the number of tabs, anyway?  Why does this matter to you?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »

It gets to a point where I can't find anything, because the tabs are all squished together. Organization issues, you could say.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »

If you're extremely OCD about this and don't want more than 10-15 tabs open at once, try using separate windows for sites that'll likely result in a tab explosion.

B12Games/Wikipedia/DFWiki gets its own window, music/facebook/TVTropes/whatever gets another.

I don't see an issue with having a bunch of tabs open, though. If you're running at a decent screen resolution, Firefox/Chrome does a good job of keeping them all visible. Chrome squishes them all together, but Firefox lets you scroll through.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:25 pm »

There is no decent screen resolution on this laptop. I need a new one so bad.

Anyways: Excellent advice, something I had not thought of before. Thank you.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »

What? Use firefox? You didn't think of that?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:08:13 pm »

20 tabs? A lot of people I know deal with a hundred plus and leave their browser running for weeks.

- In Chrome, use the application shortcuts for 'web application' sites. Pandora, Facebook, Mail, Wikipedia, et cetera. It places a shortcut in the start menu, and that window behaves like a normal application would: unique window, no URL bar or tabs; only a title bar.
- Close tabs when you are done with them...
- Use separate windows as suggested, one for each purpose: casual, work, school, research, programming.
- As a superior option to the above, use a virtual desktop application or OS/WM. OSX is a popular choice for interface usability.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

You have a problem with tabs? Ha! You should see me sometimes. ;)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »

20 tabs? A lot of people I know deal with a hundred plus and leave their browser running for weeks.

- In Chrome, use the application shortcuts for 'web application' sites. Pandora, Facebook, Mail, Wikipedia, et cetera. It places a shortcut in the start menu, and that window behaves like a normal application would: unique window, no URL bar or tabs; only a title bar.
- Use separate windows as suggested, one for each purpose: casual, work, school, research, programming.
- As a superior option to the above, use a virtual desktop application or OS/WM. OSX is a popular choice for interface usability.

I don't care if the morons you know can handle 1,000. I can't.

What? Use firefox? You didn't think of that?

I meant the having several windows open at a time.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:40:05 pm »

Tab explosions are a good thing. It's healthy to close everything once in a while, even when there's stuff you might like. It's a good way to come to grips with the ephemerality of mortal life.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:29 pm »

I was only exclaiming surprise. But good way to be a douche about it.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:37:15 pm »

I was only exclaiming surprise. But good way to be a douche about it.
Sorry. I didn't even notice that you were helping with the rest of the post. I am ridiculously tired, and I just had to put up with some idiots.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:19 pm »

The topic title made me think of this.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: [1] 2