Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommend Books For Me!  (Read 1222 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend Books For Me!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:07:17 pm »

The Swarm, by Frank Schätzing.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »

I'm having a lot of fun with the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. On book five.

Larry Niven is pretty good. His Ringworld series is enjoyable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:28 am »

If you like sci-fi, then anything by Peter F. Hamilton.

Specifically:

Night's Dawn Trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God)
Commonwealth Saga (Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained)
Void Trilogy [Current, Continuation of commonwealth saga] (The Dreaming Void, The Temporal Void, The Evolutionary Void (unreleased))
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:53 am »

Revelation Space or Absolution Gap by Allistair Reynolds. (Can't remember which one is the first in the series)

Really epic hard-sci fi space opera. I think i read somewhere the author is some sort of quantum physicist, which shows in the books. If you like your sci fi heavy on the sci you'll enjoy it. 'Course the plot is excellent too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:52 am »

Just finished re-reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Had forgotten how damn good it is, in part because it doesn't have much in the way of techno-babble. The protagonist is a soldier with a Ph.D., but because of relativistic time dilation, after his first tour or so technology has advanced past his education to where he just sort of gets the basic gist of how it works, so you're not bogged down with convoluted explanations.

Also glanced back over a Larry Niven series, The Smoke Ring and The Integral Trees. Pretty fun exotic setting--a clump of organic matter (including enough gases to form an atmosphere) scattered in a ring around a neutron star.

For a great sort of pulpy mix of sci-fi, fantasy and Victorian steampunk, try the Dungeon series (edited by Phillip Jose Farmer). They get progressively better with each book, except for the last. I'd recommend reading books 1-5 and then just imagine your own ending.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]