Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pimp my Fort! Prototype and concept brainstorming.  (Read 1554 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Pimp my Fort! Prototype and concept brainstorming.
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A picture is worth a thousand words. So above you see.
Each one of those apparently loose objects (totem, colored plump helmets, anvil, pelts, flasks, brown berries, sweet pods of many colours, mechanisms) are custom workshops. Same applies to the trees and shrub rows outside of this prototype fort. I'm thinking on adding even more of such items. As a matter of fact, pay attention, the dorfs now have their little fireplaces in their bedrooms!

None of these workshops are truly functional (they have no reactions assigned to them), and they provide a significative clutter on the workshop menu (thankfully they are at the end of the list), but still this is an interesting concept I'm messing with. An idea would be to add a grass workshop (1x1, 2x2, 3x3) so one could plant grass underground. This would give a whole new meaning to "statue garden;)

The current main issues are:
Lack of color selection, you have one building for purple mushrooms, one building for yellow mushrooms, so on, leading to clutter of the menu.

Potential side effects of thousands of unassigned and inactive workshops to a fort's performance.

Some weirdness that might be due to my .raw incompetence (repeated green flask entry, etc)

Unrealistic resource usage: They all require just one non-economic stone, so yeah.. nonfunctional stone anvil... at least it is not made of plump helmets.  ;)

World regen required since those buildings need to be associated with the dwarf entity, so you need to regen the world...

Disclaimer: If you don't use graphical sets, please refrain from turning this thread into an ASCII versus graphic set battlefield....

EDIT: Direct link for image: http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2311/pimpfort.png
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:32:20 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Jerkald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Polish Games
Re: Pimp my Fort! Prototype and concept brainstorming.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:12:54 pm »

I'm not seeing an image anywhere

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:32:50 pm »

I'm not seeing an image anywhere

Odd. Maybe some forum oddness. I edited the original post and added a direct link...  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

Sounds good, we sort of miss this stuff (pretty much every other sandbox god-game has stuff like htis)!

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:55 pm »

:o So many colours...
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »

I've made a lot of custom workshops and plan to add even more in Genesis mod.

Even while many are purely decorative, they still train some not-very-useful skills like concentration, throwing, comedian etc.

Here's the list for 1.25:
Code: [Select]
Training crutch: Train crutchwalking (requires crutch)
Anatomical theater: Train surgery (requires large dagger); train suturing (requires thread); train wound dressing (requires cloth); train bone setting (requires crutch)

Training dummy: Train with sword/axe/spear/mace/hammer (requires appropriate training weapon)
Obstacle course: Train dodging

Theatre: Perform drama; perform comedy
Library: Study lore books; study teaching manuals; write chronicles
Philosopher's garden: Debate with yourself; meditate

Gaming table
Chess table
Rockball: Play rockball (requires a boulder, trains throwing)
Gateball

Crematory: Cremate remains (transforms vermin corpses into ashes); cremate bodyparts (burns leftover bodyparts like hair and cartillage into ashes).

And I plan to add a couple more in 1.3 (and definitely Swimming Pool to train swimming):

This awesome building is suggested by PrimusRibbus
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »

I've made a lot of custom workshops and plan to add even more in Genesis mod.

Even while many are purely decorative, they still train some not-very-useful skills like concentration, throwing, comedian etc.

Here's the list for 1.25:
Code: [Select]
Training crutch: Train crutchwalking (requires crutch)
Anatomical theater: Train surgery (requires large dagger); train suturing (requires thread); train wound dressing (requires cloth); train bone setting (requires crutch)

Training dummy: Train with sword/axe/spear/mace/hammer (requires appropriate training weapon)
Obstacle course: Train dodging

Theatre: Perform drama; perform comedy
Library: Study lore books; study teaching manuals; write chronicles
Philosopher's garden: Debate with yourself; meditate

Gaming table
Chess table
Rockball: Play rockball (requires a boulder, trains throwing)
Gateball

Crematory: Cremate remains (transforms vermin corpses into ashes); cremate bodyparts (burns leftover bodyparts like hair and cartillage into ashes).

And I plan to add a couple more in 1.3 (and definitely Swimming Pool to train swimming):

This awesome building is suggested by PrimusRibbus

Cute swimming pool ;)

I'm in more for a pulverized building structure where one can place individual parts. (eg, the supposed "necromancer anvil" is made of six totems and the anvil in the centre, so on)

Also, tadpoles.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:23 pm »

Great idea. This has my full moral support!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:31 am »

Needless to say, I approve of this idea.

... Although honestly, I was hoping I'd get to do it first, but I've been focusing more on other mods that I wanted to do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:03 am »

What do you mean "to do it first"? You're not forced not to do it or something :). I continue to develop graphical workshops regardless of this awesome mod.

I'm in more for a pulverized building structure where one can place individual parts.
Ah, so a puzzle of sort... Cool idea!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:45 pm »

What do you mean "to do it first"? You're not forced not to do it or something :). I continue to develop graphical workshops regardless of this awesome mod.

I'm in more for a pulverized building structure where one can place individual parts.
Ah, so a puzzle of sort... Cool idea!

Now we just need a picard boulder sprite...

Also, tadpoles.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »

Ahah. We need a kitten-driven forgotten beast "picard ball". We have flesh balls already, why not.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬