Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow multiple [LAVA] tags.  (Read 1162 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allow multiple [LAVA] tags.
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:38:03 am »

The [LAVA] tag should be able to be used on multiple rocks. The effect would be that lava+water produces a random rock that has [LAVA]. The wall around volcanoes would be specified by a new tag, [VOLCANO_WALL]
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow multiple [LAVA] tags.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »

I think this has been mentioned as an eventual plan.  Not sure about the idea behind the volcano wall tag, though.  On the one hand, if magma can make any kind of igneous rock, then it makes sense to have the magma initially be surrounded by any appropriate rock.  On the other hand, if dorfs suddenly lost the ability to stop when they detected warm stone or lost the ability to detect warm stone and one could no longer see the magma until it was struck, then it'd make a bit of sense to keep the immediate borders always obsidian.

Or are you talking about some kind of effects of volcanism on world-gen/map creation thing with the [volcano_wall] tag?

I'm sort of wondering now if it'll ever get the complexity to make a different stone based on how quickly it's cooled, with a fast cooling making obsidian and a slow cooling making something more like granite or basalt.

What'd be even interesting to me is when/if volcanic eruptions make it in and then if a Krakatoa can happen during World-Gen...

archivis

• Bay Watcher
  • I am not here. Remember me not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:51 pm »

Dwarf Fortress cancels Worldgen: Everything on Fire.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

What'd be even interesting to me is when/if volcanic eruptions make it in and then if a Krakatoa can happen during World-Gen...

Hmm... after eruptions, they should add volcanic eruptions triggered by goblin sacrifices  ;D

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:22:11 pm »

Koganûsan cancels Dwarf Fortress: All burn.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »

Hmm... after eruptions, they should add volcanic eruptions triggered by goblin sacrifices  ;D

Ahah! The final and most nefarious purpose behind their baby-snatching ways!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:01:12 pm »

I suppose I should have been clearer:  I meant when we sacrifice goblins.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:56:29 pm »

I suppose I should have been clearer:  I meant when we sacrifice goblins.

Silly, we dwarfs don't need goblin sacrifices when URIST MCKRAKATOA, PUMP-OPERATOR OF DWARFDOM is on our side.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:16 pm »

Currently, the first inorganic stone with [LAVA] is used as both the wall around volcanoes, and the product of magma+water. It only matters during worldgen, and is ignored after that (so it does nothing to change it on an existing save)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!